2014 Austrian Grand Prix build-up in pictures

F1 Pictures

Red Bull Ring, 2014

Pictures from the build-up to the Austrian Grand Prix.

F1 pictures

View more F1 pictures

Images © Ferrari spa/Ercole Colombo, Lotus/LAT, Mercedes/Hoch Zwei, Red Bull/Getty, Force India

2014 Austrian Grand Prix

Browse all 2014 Austrian Grand Prix articles

17 comments on 2014 Austrian Grand Prix build-up in pictures

1. Karthik Mohan said on 19th June 2014, 19:48

Hello Keith!

Romain Grosjean looks a lot like Maldanado! :D There seems to be a mild mistake in captioning that picture! :)

2. Deej92 (@deej92) said on 19th June 2014, 20:12

A backdrop that is difficult to rival. I am looking forward to seeing the pictures over the next three days!

3. Strontium (@strontium) said on 19th June 2014, 20:24

Today there have been so many tweets with photos of the track-walks! Every team seemed to post every corner, every straight, and every view.

4. UnitedKingdomRacing (@unitedkingdomracing) said on 19th June 2014, 20:25

Strange feeling of going back in time to see this modern F1 banners on such a great classic track. When they reopened the track in 2011 I never would have dreamed to see F1 back on it once again.

• racerdude7730 said on 19th June 2014, 20:57

I didnt even think about that till i saw your comment but YES! Gravel traps will make these guys pay for their mistakes and not have a mile of run off. Even more of a reason why im looking forward to this

5. mateuss (@mateuss) said on 19th June 2014, 20:45

The forever not seen sight of gravel.:)

6. racerdude7730 said on 19th June 2014, 20:49

Just beautiful with the rolling hills and mountains in the background. Reminds me of the days before F1 was all about the money and what city that has the best hotels and richest people who could care less about the race. I am so happy to see this track back on the calender. I would love for them to bring back more of these classic tracks

• Arki (@arki19) said on 19th June 2014, 23:43

I agree that it is a beautiful setting but don’t kid yourself about it not being all about the money. This track is all about Red Bull money surely!?
      Anyway, I am definately glad the Austrian GP is back and it will be interesting to see what impact the gravel traps have.

7. Fer no.65 (@fer-no65) said on 19th June 2014, 20:51

Whaaat?! GRAVEL TRAPS?! NO WAIIIIIIIIIIIII!

It’s going back in time to the days of Geoff Crammond’s GP3… I loved racing there…!

8. racerdude7730 said on 19th June 2014, 20:55

I also wanted to say that i feel we need more of a throwback feel in F1. They fans would love it and it might help the ratings from falling more. My dream track would be to bring Watkins Glen back instead the New Jersey race. The glen is a beautiful and amazing track!

• AmbroseRPM said on 19th June 2014, 23:08

The boot at the Glen or not the boot?

• Atticus (@atticus-2) said on 19th June 2014, 23:18

Both. But I prefer the Boot.

I think no track makes use of the elevation changes to play with available grip levels better than the Boot.

Like in the Toe, you begin to go uphill just as you turn in and this plus the 6- or 10-degree banking gives you huge grip and suddenly you can take a 180-degree corner at 180kph in an F1 car (judging by sim experience).

Or the blind crest before T8, or the only off-camber corner T9, which levels out all the way, further decreasing grip.

It’s just pure track engineering excellence.

9. KaIIe (@kaiie) said on 19th June 2014, 22:37

Looks like they have one of those high kerbs installed at the exit of T1. I’m guessing it’ll be removed between FP1 and FP2 as drivers complain about it…

10. Garns (@garns) said on 20th June 2014, 13:39

Yes bring back some of the old school tracks I say!! I am really looking forward to this race! I love the location and background, and while it is opposite Monaco it terms of location, it is similar in that I think its just a beautiful part of the world to hold a Grands Prix. Seems like the locals have responded well to the F1 return as well as its packed to the rafters!!