2014 Austrian Grand Prix second practice
Mercedes remained on top during the second practice session for the Austrian Grand Prix but this time is was Lewis Hamilton who led the way.
Nico Rosberg took three attempts to get within four-tenths of a second of his team mate, as the two W05s were the only cars to lap the Red Bull Ring in under 70 seconds.
However the gap between the silver cars and their rivals widened considerably in the afternoon session. Fernando Alonso was third-quickest for Ferrari, over nine-tenths of a second off Hamilton’s pace.
The Williams pair were close behind, Valtteri Bottas and Felipe Massa within five-hundredths of a second of the Ferrari. Red Bull enjoyed a better second session at their home track, with Sebastian Vettel in sixth place and Daniel Ricciardo eighth.
A rain shower briefly threatened the final minutes of the session while the drivers were completing their race simulations. But while stronger winds briefly made for challenging conditions the track stayed dry.
2014 Austrian Grand Prix
- Bottas wins Driver of the Weekend after first podium
- F1′s return to Austria produced a middling race
- 2014 Austrian Grand Prix team radio transcript
- Top ten pictures from the 2014 Austrian Grand Prix
- Vote for your 2014 Austrian GP Driver of the Weekend
2014 F1 practice sessions
- Hamilton quickest as gearbox glitch hits Rosberg
- Rosberg edges delayed Hamilton in Mercedes one-two
- Hamilton comfortably quickest ahead of Button
- Bottas quickest in damp final practice session
- Hamilton to the fore as Mercedes remain on top
Image © Daimler/Hoch Zwei