Rate the race: 2014 Austrian Grand Prix

2014 Austrian Grand Prix

Daniil Kvyat, Toro Rosso, Red Bull Ring, 2014What did you think of today’s race? Share your verdict on the Austrian Grand Prix.

Rate the race out of ten and leave a comment below:

Rate the 2014 Austrian Grand Prix out of ten

• 1 (1%)
  • 2 (1%)
  • 3 (2%)
  • 4 (3%)
  • 5 (9%)
  • 6 (19%)
  • 7 (38%)
  • 8 (20%)
  • 9 (5%)
  • 10 (2%)

Total Voters: 696

Loading ... Loading ...

1 = ‘Terrible’, 10 = ‘Perfect’

You need an F1 Fanatic account to vote. Register an account here or read more about registering here. When this poll is closed the result will be displayed instead of the voting form.

See the results for past seasons here:

2014 Austrian Grand Prix

Browse all 2014 Austrian Grand Prix articles

Image © Red Bull/Getty

134 comments on Rate the race: 2014 Austrian Grand Prix

1. Little_M_Lo (@pezlo2013) said on 22nd June 2014, 15:07

7/10 for the race. Some nice although rare overtakes and a good battle between Williams and Mercedes (and Perez) in the first half of the race. Now I’m off to watch the WTCC.

Wait a minute!!! It was on at the same time as the F1! DOH! :p

2. Oscar (@oscar) said on 22nd June 2014, 15:11

5/10
    Nice track and atmosphere.
    First 3 laps and last 2 laps where interesting, but the rest of the race bored me to death…

3. Somewhere between 6 and 7. I’m gonna rate it the latter since I’m happy with the fact that F1 is back on a classic circuit that can (and I’m sure it will) produce great races.

Other than that, an anti-climatic race to yesterday’s quali session. With such a close field I would have guessed we’d have much more on-track shuffling for position. Instead we got a typical strategic race which, while I’m sure it provides the piece of the cake for some, doesn’t entirely cut it for me.

Nothing against this season, really, but watching Vettel retire again, Raikkonen struggling with lack of power, Button struggling with lack of grip, various drivers struggling with the brakes and so on makes me wonder if the new regulations really achieved any of their goals in leveling the field up and making the competition closer and more entertaining. Were there even such goals? Because watching Red Bull (when they’re functional) and Williams (when it doesn’t rain) take turns every other GP in chasing Mercedes down with no result, while everyone else stands around watching hopelessly, is going to eventually become terribly boring by the end of the season, whether there is a fight between the Mercs for the championship or not.

Thinking about how the FIA are looking at all sorts of gimmicks like standing restarts, in order to increase overtaking chances and make the whole competition seem even more artificial, while the gaps between the teams seem to increase even with the new rulebook is a little bit baffling to me.

• Keith Collantine (@keithcollantine) said on 2nd July 2014, 9:59

@tony031r

Well, no. The point of the new rules was to give the manufacturers the engines they wanted, stop them from leaving and try to encourage more of them to come in.

4. Fixy (@fixy) said on 22nd June 2014, 15:20

7/10
    There was no real fight amongst the top four, positions were settled during the pit stops. The result was inevitable, but a little more fight would have been nice to see. Though the track seems simple I was happy to see drivers on the limit with small mistakes at turns 3 and 7.

5. David not Coulthard (@davidnotcoulthard) said on 22nd June 2014, 15:24

A normal “borefest” is a 6/10 for me.

This race was 7/10.

The result was somewhat predictable and there were not failures like the Team brackley cars had in canada or the Canadian Marathon in 2011. No crashes, no SC.

No, FIA, Don’t try to raise my ratings, I gave a 7, I’d say the race was a bit boring, but I’m anything but disappointed with that – apart from DRS and the Super Bonus Double Points Season Finale Bonanza that is.

6. Nickolas Smikle (@david-beau) said on 22nd June 2014, 15:29

An Okay race that could keep you watching with a trip or two to bathroom or the kitchen. A bit processional but there were are few few racing developments to look forward to.

7. Nick (@npf1) said on 22nd June 2014, 15:36

Oops, pressed 6 while I mean 7.. Love the track, but have to be a bit harsh on the lack of overtaking and the fact I missed nothing getting drinks and even printing something for my studies twice..

If we’re talking atmosphere and how much I would have liked to be there, It’d be a 9, though.

8. us-brian (@us-brian) said on 22nd June 2014, 15:44

Overall The race started promising, but quickly became very boring. As much as I enjoy watching F1, this was one of the bad ones. Surely there was plenty overtaking, but there was no real excitement. And sadly that is the case in more and more races. Not just this year but in recent years too.

9. Jorge Lardone (@jorge-lardone) said on 22nd June 2014, 15:47

10/10. Great race, great track, great winner.

10. William Stuart (@williamstuart) said on 22nd June 2014, 15:48

It’s such a pity Mercedes seem to favour Nico over Lewis. I can’t believe Lewis lost 3 seconds alone in the pits in Austria, I think it has happened at other GPs too. If Lewis’ second stop had been a low 2 second stop (similar to Bottas’) or even slightly slower, Lewis would have been ahead of Nico when Nico came out of the pits, then Lewis could have stretched out a lead over Nico, since Lewis was clearly the faster driver of the two this weekend. However, it was an epic first lap by Lewis, and I think that must have earned him best drive, although Bottas had a very good race too.

• spoutnik (@spoutnik) said on 22nd June 2014, 16:31

@williamstuart That is nonsense. They even pitted Hamilton before Rosberg, despite being behind, with the aim to ease the overtake on Bottas. Lewis just screwed his quali, there is not really much else to say.

• William Stuart (@williamstuart) said on 24th June 2014, 17:17

Yeah, I wasn’t entirely serious, and after saying that I heard that the ‘cake tins’ (is that what they’re called?!) on Hamilton’s wheels were slightly damaged, meaning it took slightly longer to change wheels. But do you think it is possible for Mercedes to be slightly favourable to Nico because it’s a German owned and funded team? But that is incredibly unlikely and I think they’re most likely not interfering with the drivers championship in the end.

11. SauberS1 (@saubers1) said on 22nd June 2014, 16:01

6/10

This track has very nice environment, but the race was not too exciting.

12. Marussi (@marussi) said on 22nd June 2014, 16:10

just plain boring race

13. Neil (@neilosjames) said on 22nd June 2014, 16:28

Not a great race, but I give it an extra mark or two for Bottas on the podium and Hamilton’s first lap.

Too much running close together with no real challenging.

14. F1FAN98 (@mariosf1) said on 22nd June 2014, 16:29

I gave it 4/10.I was hoping for a close race after qualy,and Massa to be on the podium.Bad pitstops compromised his race.BTW congatulations to Bottas for his first podium.Maybe if the temperatures were lower the williams might be going for the win too.

15. R.J. O'Connell (@rjoconnell) said on 22nd June 2014, 16:56

Far from the best race, but also far from the worst.

Impressive drives by Perez, Bottas, and Massa, even though Williams really screwed their drivers up on pit strategy. Alonso did well to bring the car home in P5 while Raikkonen yet again showed that maybe Felipe Massa wasn’t all that bad the last few years. Shame Hamilton didn’t have the time or the pace to bring it to Rosberg at the end, those pitstops were costly. 7/10