Early F1 cars at the 2014 Goodwood Festival of Speed

F1 pictures

Ferrari 156, Goodwood Festival of Speed, 2014

Mercedes dominated the mid-fifites in the world championship much as they are doing today with their W196 in open-wheel and streamliner form. Examples of each are in action at the Goodwood Festival of Speed.

Other early championship-winning cars running at the Festival include two Ferraris: a replica of the 156 which Phil Hill took to the 1961 title and John Surtees’ 1964 championship-winning 158.

Some less successful F1 machines are also present: BRM’s 16-cylinder P15 sounded spectacular but was outclassed on the track.

Unusual and obscure F1 cars often reappear at Goodwood and the Derrington-Francis cars based on an ATS chassis is an example: it only raced once.

Goodwood Festival of Speed

Browse all Goodwood Festival of Speed articles

Image © F1 Fanatic | f1fanatic.co.uk

13 comments on Early F1 cars at the 2014 Goodwood Festival of Speed

1. Greg said on 27th June 2014, 18:06

This is a quiz, right? Which car ia actually a BRM P261?

2. kpcart said on 27th June 2014, 18:07

I bet my life savings they all sound more interesting then the 2014 cars.

3. Greg said on 27th June 2014, 18:10

OK, I got it. It’s none of the red ones or the one w/ the Silver Star on front.

4. Bullfrog (@bullfrog) said on 27th June 2014, 18:27

Is that Emanuele Pirro in the Ferrari (or just his helmet)?
    Were any other notable drivers in action today?

• Fixy (@fixy) said on 27th June 2014, 19:05

Could/should be, I doubt someone would have his helmet, and usually private drivers have fantasy helmets and/or sponsors, whereas Pirro actually drove for Audi (which is on the chin part).
      Also, the same can be said about the other pictures of the car, where the driver (or helmet) seems to be Arturo Merzario. Obviously Little Art actually drove for the Italian team in the Seventies, so it could well be him.

5. andae23 (@andae23) said on 27th June 2014, 18:37

Some awesome cars there, wish I was at Goodwood this weekend!

Nice to see the V16 BRM in action again, really wonder what it sounds like. And great to see Jochen Mass back behind the wheel :)

6. David-A (@david-a) said on 27th June 2014, 18:55

Is that driver taking a selfie while driving a Ferrari 156?

7. There are no 156 in existence so where did that thing come from? I wish Jackie had joined Moss and drove the car that took him to his first victory, that BRM P261 is possibly my favourite 60′s car, close second is the Ferrari’s especially the 1.5 Ferrari’s as is with today I prefer the shorter wheelbase cars.

• beneboy (@beneboy) said on 27th June 2014, 23:16

I don’t know if it’s the one at Goodwood but Chris Rea built a replica of the Sharknose – I saw it at a Ferrari club event a few years ago and I was told (but don’t know how true it is) that he managed to get some of the original drawings to use when he was building it. I wouldn’t be too surprised if other people have copied his copy though as it’s an awesome looking car and very popular with anyone that likes racing and/or Ferrari.