Fernandes sparks new rumours over Caterham future

F1 Fanatic Round-up

Marcus Ericsson, Caterham, Red Bull Ring, 2014In the round-up: The future of the Caterham F1 team has been plunged into doubt again.

Links

Your daily digest of F1 news, views, features and more.

Tony Fernandes hints he is bailing out of Formula One team Caterham (The Guardian)

“Tony Fernandes has dropped a broad hint that he is bailing out of the Formula One team Caterham. It is believed that Fernandes has already sold the Formula One arm of his operation, after four and a half troubled years.”

Kobayashi: I focus on my job (F1)

“Financially, I think we’re in a very difficult situation but I cannot do anything so I just focus on my job. That’s part of my job actually: I’ll just try for a better result as much as I can.”

New owners at Caterham F1 as Fernandes prepares for exit (Adam Cooper’s F1 Blog)

“As part of the changes current team principal Cyril Abiteboul is expected to return to Viry to help bolster Renault’s F1 operation, at the behest of Red Bull. A new management structure will be introduced at Caterham.”

Toro Rosso cleared over indoor test (Autosport)

“Following discussions between the FIA and the team and engine manufacturer, it has been confirmed that the test was fully in compliance with the rules and the matter is now closed.”

Renault progress unlikely until 2015 (ESPN)

Renault head of track operations Remi Taffin: “The engine for this year, as with Mercedes hardware, is fixed so there is not much we can change to be fair.”

The First Time – with Sauber’s Adrian Sutil (F1)

“I was 15 or 16 when the racing bug bit me. I started go-karting when I was 15 and by 16 I had my own kart and had started to think about what my target could be if I followed the racing road. I’d developed a deep fondness for racing.”

Tweets

Comment of the day

There’s a lot still to be clarified about the FIA’s unpopular new standing restarts rule:

Is the procedure the same as the start, with the five red lights, etc…?
What happens if someone stalls?
Are they allowed to wave their arms and have the restart aborted? What happens then?
Are the pit crews allowed out onto the circuit to restart the car?
Can the marshals give him a push start?
Does the field go round again for another lap before lining up on the grid again?
Will the safety car lead them round?
If not, does the lead driver lead the pack round?
If so is that still a Safety Car lap?
If the stalled driver gets going again will they be able to reclaim their place on the ‘grid’ or do they have to (re)start from the back?
If the stalled driver doesn’t get going can he restart from the pit lane?

I understand that because the race has already started, then no, stalled cars probably won’t be allowed to continue, same as if they’d spun out on track, stalled, and can’t get going again. But by turning a rolling safety car restart into a standing start that is, to all intents and purposes, the same as the race start, with procedures presumable identical to the race start, and with lots of cars brimming with a massive amount of potential energy in close proximity, some of the rules are going to have to be re-drawn to cater for this kind of thing.

But I bet they’ve not bothered to address any of these questions. They’ve maybe thought that these might occur, but I doubt they’ve given it any real serious thought. After all it’s been, what, a week since this was first announced and it’s already gone through.

Standing restarts just add a whole load of unnecessary problems by implementing a solution to a problem that never ever existed.
@Ajokay

From the forum

Happy birthday!

Happy birthday to Danny D, Hezla, Stefano and Wanon!

If you want a birthday shout-out tell us when yours is via the contact form or adding to the list here.

On this day in F1

1994 F1 seasonNigel Mansell prepared his grand prix racing comeback in the forthcoming French Grand Prix by testing Williams’s FW16 at the Brands Hatch Indy circuit 20 years ago today.

Here he is inspecting the car with Patrick Head, Adrian Newey and David Brown, then being greeted at the circuit by the thousands of fans who showed up and driving laps of the short track. The cameras didn’t catch his spin into the gravel at Clearways during the test.

Also on this day in 1964 Jack Brabham’s team scored their first victory in the French Grand Prix. Brabham himself finished third and team mate Dan Gurney won, the pair separated by Graham Hill’s BRM.

Image © Caterham/LAT

95 comments on Fernandes sparks new rumours over Caterham future

1. Todd (@braketurnaccelerate) said on 28th June 2014, 0:10

Based on Buxton’s tweet, place your bets for who is buying or bought, Caterham?

My guess, Brawn.

2. Michael C said on 28th June 2014, 0:17

If I were Kamui, I’d ask Toyota if there is a LMP seat going for next year. There’s no point in staying in this circus.

• Michael C said on 28th June 2014, 0:26

Having said that, McLaren using Honda engines could prove to be an opportunity for Kamui… oh dear I’m just fueling an already premature fire. I’ll stop.

• Valhyre (@ausuma) said on 28th June 2014, 0:59

Kamui to Mclaren CONFIRM! YES WE DID IT!!

• Sven (@crammond) said on 28th June 2014, 1:13

That would actually make me root for McLaren. Absolutely unthinkable ~25 years ago, when they were the arch-enemy and the Ferrari-loving 9-year-old me wished them everything bad. How times have changed.
          But yes, keep Kamui in F1, give him a car with which he has a chance to fight for positions, give him a McLaren-drive. Or a Force-India, that would be even further up the field and still possible if Hülk moves somewhere.

• David (@neiana) said on 28th June 2014, 1:21

So what you’re NOT saying is that Honda will buy Caterham?

• Bosley (@bosley) said on 28th June 2014, 1:43

If only Kamui wasn’t a former Toyota driver and not a Honda driver, then there might be a chance.

• Max Jacobson (@vettel1) said on 28th June 2014, 16:21

To be perfectly honest, I wouldn’t be disappointed at the lack of Kobayashi. I don’t think as much of him as many people apparently do.

If Perez wasn’t good enough for McLaren, Kobayashi isn’t either.

• Daniel (@collettdumbletonhall) said on 28th June 2014, 16:36

@vettel1
        In fairness to Kamui he was faster than Perez but like the Hulk he can’t topple Sergio in the race because of his superior ability to preserve Pirelli tyres. He performed as well as the Hulk has done this year against Sergio Perez.

• Breno (@austus) said on 28th June 2014, 17:33

This season I’m not impressed with Kobayashi at all.

• Sven (@crammond) said on 28th June 2014, 18:07

But Koba is more entertaining in races, and much funnier and humorous outside the cockpit. So the reason I wish for a cockpit for him is not that I think he is faster or better than Perez, he probably isn´t. I just like Kobayashi, he is a fine guy, so I´m just hoping there´s a way for him to stay around. And I do know team´s (have to) choose their drivers by other criteria than I choose my favourite drivers.

3. Nick (@npf1) said on 28th June 2014, 0:47

The funniest thing I read all day was a suggestion that Dutch GP2 team MP Motorsport could buy F1. If that happens, I’m going to look for jobs in Germany, because the Dutch have been shamed enough by Spyker.

4. matt90 (@matt90) said on 28th June 2014, 0:49

I wonder if the familiar name is a privateer or a recent manufacturer. I’d love to see Renault ditch Red Bull as their main team and decide to make a full return, even though it makes little sense buying Caterham rather than Lotus.

• Keith Collantine (@keithcollantine) said on 28th June 2014, 19:17

@matt90 I think it would be extremely unwise for a car manufacturer to both supply engines to Red Bull and then presume to be able to build a better chassis and run a better team than they can.

• BasCB (@bascb) said on 28th June 2014, 21:57

It would almost make more sense for Mateschitz to buy the team! But I really hope for something a bit more interesting, someone who will try and make another step forward. Marussia shows this year that it can be done.

5. Fer no.65 (@fer-no65) said on 28th June 2014, 0:56

CODT sums up all the amount of work needed to make such a stupid thing “work” (if that could be called “work” at all).

It’s such a vast amount of time lost for a race… Races will many Safety cars instead of comfortably finishing before the 2 hour mark could lead up to less than complete races. So, basically, more time to spent watching cars, marshalls and teams get prepared, plus less laps, rounds up a rubbish deal for the fans, casual or hardcore…

• Scalextric (@scalextric) said on 28th June 2014, 2:38

I wonder how many will line up in the wrong grid spot. Is that a penalty? Will lining up in the grid take longer so they get this right? Will that cause the first couple of rows to overheat? Do we just stop on the grid at the first chance and shut off? Or is that only if Charlie Whiting thinks it’s really bad out on track? If we stop can we use tyre warmers? Do we get a roll-off lap to warm the brakes and tyres? Does that count against race distance? Do you get to change tyres or go into the pits? Can I change my nose that got a little bit damaged in the fracas? What if my sparky titanium plates need fixin’?

Imagine how annoying it will be to have this explained to us on TV every time a safety car is called for.

• Timothy Katz (@timothykatz) said on 28th June 2014, 7:59

Totally agree with COTD. All these questions need answers and procedural rules to be written – which will then get inadvertently broken and racing will be disrupted again by someone having to sit on the naughty step.
        As you say @scalextric, imagine trying to explain that to a casual viewer.
        And what about rain?
        Don’t I remember a SC being used to lead cars around at a safe speed in the wet so that the cars could try to shift some of the water off the course? I assume that won’t be possible any more.

6. Bazza Spock (@bazza-spock) said on 28th June 2014, 1:26

Who ever does buy the team we currently know as Caterham, they can’t do much of worse job than Fernandes. It’s been a recovery run the whole way from him. I had high hopes for that team for some reason. I have a ‘Lotus Racing’ cap from the first year that I bought at a race – that’ll never be worth anything.

My stab at who bought it — Fiat aka Ferrari.

7. GT Racer (@gt-racer) said on 28th June 2014, 2:20

A 2nd tweet from Will Buxton about Caterham-
    “All I’ll say is that, if true, I don’t imagine they’ll be getting their hands on Mercedes engines anytime soon.”

At a ‘guess’, Its going to be a manufacturer badged team, Not one thats’s already supplying engines for 2015 but one thats run by someone who’s run F1 teams before & a name that will be big for F1 & who currently own a racing premises not that far away from Caterham F1.

Just a guess.

8. Francorchamps (@francorchamps17) said on 28th June 2014, 2:32

Keith please… Why did you chose this COTD? F1 cars now have an anti-stall system…

• Chris (@tophercheese21) said on 28th June 2014, 3:21

Really? That’s your rationale? One thing on a list of many many variables.

The COTD is right. There’s too many things that haven’t been outlined. You cannot simply say that there’s going to be standing grid restarts, and then leave it at that.

If it does go ahead, I hope they atleast make it work properly… If that’s even possible.

• HoHum (@hohum) said on 28th June 2014, 7:02

An anti-stall system, so foolproof that no cars have stopped on the grid or on the track since umm, err, well the last race actually.

9. wsrgo (@wsrgo) said on 28th June 2014, 3:28

Sutil started karting at 16. These days we have kids in single-seaters by 14. How times have changed.

10. dragoll (@dragoll) said on 28th June 2014, 4:23

Fernandes Quote: “We’ve given you the best infrastructure, the best potential drivers, but it is now down to all of you to go and do it.”

With that kind of mentality Fernandes, stick to business and leave sports to the professionals.

11. ECWDanSelby (@ecwdanselby) said on 28th June 2014, 5:11

Great footage there, Keith.

Two things:
    *What amazing support for Mansell considering it was just a test run. And how respectful were the fans? They reminded me of a Japanese crowd when they all went respectfully silent all of a sudden. Mansellmania!

*Secondly, how incredibly terrifying was the old Graham Hill bend?

12. Neil (@neilosjames) said on 28th June 2014, 7:22

If I wake up tomorrow/later today and discover Ross Brawn and Adrian Newey have teamed up to buy Caterham I shall be a somewhat happy bunny.

Please happen, please happen, please happen…

13. craig-o (@craig-o) said on 28th June 2014, 8:54

Excellent comment of the day. There are so many loopholes currently there that it’s impossible to run currently!

The FIA really didn’t learn from the last time they introduced something absolutely stupid, didn’t they?

14. greg-c (@greg-c) said on 28th June 2014, 9:41