Fernandes sparks new rumours over Caterham future

F1 Fanatic Round-up

Marcus Ericsson, Caterham, Red Bull Ring, 2014In the round-up: The future of the Caterham F1 team has been plunged into doubt again.

Links

Your daily digest of F1 news, views, features and more.

Tony Fernandes hints he is bailing out of Formula One team Caterham (The Guardian)

“Tony Fernandes has dropped a broad hint that he is bailing out of the Formula One team Caterham. It is believed that Fernandes has already sold the Formula One arm of his operation, after four and a half troubled years.”

Kobayashi: I focus on my job (F1)

“Financially, I think we’re in a very difficult situation but I cannot do anything so I just focus on my job. That’s part of my job actually: I’ll just try for a better result as much as I can.”

New owners at Caterham F1 as Fernandes prepares for exit (Adam Cooper’s F1 Blog)

“As part of the changes current team principal Cyril Abiteboul is expected to return to Viry to help bolster Renault’s F1 operation, at the behest of Red Bull. A new management structure will be introduced at Caterham.”

Toro Rosso cleared over indoor test (Autosport)

“Following discussions between the FIA and the team and engine manufacturer, it has been confirmed that the test was fully in compliance with the rules and the matter is now closed.”

Renault progress unlikely until 2015 (ESPN)

Renault head of track operations Remi Taffin: “The engine for this year, as with Mercedes hardware, is fixed so there is not much we can change to be fair.”

The First Time – with Sauber’s Adrian Sutil (F1)

“I was 15 or 16 when the racing bug bit me. I started go-karting when I was 15 and by 16 I had my own kart and had started to think about what my target could be if I followed the racing road. I’d developed a deep fondness for racing.”

Tweets

Comment of the day

There’s a lot still to be clarified about the FIA’s unpopular new standing restarts rule:

Is the procedure the same as the start, with the five red lights, etc…?
What happens if someone stalls?
Are they allowed to wave their arms and have the restart aborted? What happens then?
Are the pit crews allowed out onto the circuit to restart the car?
Can the marshals give him a push start?
Does the field go round again for another lap before lining up on the grid again?
Will the safety car lead them round?
If not, does the lead driver lead the pack round?
If so is that still a Safety Car lap?
If the stalled driver gets going again will they be able to reclaim their place on the ‘grid’ or do they have to (re)start from the back?
If the stalled driver doesn’t get going can he restart from the pit lane?

I understand that because the race has already started, then no, stalled cars probably won’t be allowed to continue, same as if they’d spun out on track, stalled, and can’t get going again. But by turning a rolling safety car restart into a standing start that is, to all intents and purposes, the same as the race start, with procedures presumable identical to the race start, and with lots of cars brimming with a massive amount of potential energy in close proximity, some of the rules are going to have to be re-drawn to cater for this kind of thing.

But I bet they’ve not bothered to address any of these questions. They’ve maybe thought that these might occur, but I doubt they’ve given it any real serious thought. After all it’s been, what, a week since this was first announced and it’s already gone through.

Standing restarts just add a whole load of unnecessary problems by implementing a solution to a problem that never ever existed.
@Ajokay

From the forum

Happy birthday!

Happy birthday to Danny D, Hezla, Stefano and Wanon!

If you want a birthday shout-out tell us when yours is via the contact form or adding to the list here.

On this day in F1

1994 F1 seasonNigel Mansell prepared his grand prix racing comeback in the forthcoming French Grand Prix by testing Williams’s FW16 at the Brands Hatch Indy circuit 20 years ago today.

Here he is inspecting the car with Patrick Head, Adrian Newey and David Brown, then being greeted at the circuit by the thousands of fans who showed up and driving laps of the short track. The cameras didn’t catch his spin into the gravel at Clearways during the test.

Also on this day in 1964 Jack Brabham’s team scored their first victory in the French Grand Prix. Brabham himself finished third and team mate Dan Gurney won, the pair separated by Graham Hill’s BRM.

Image © Caterham/LAT

95 comments on Fernandes sparks new rumours over Caterham future

1. salcrich said on 28th June 2014, 10:11

Two more wild cards
    David Richards
    Or
    Richard Branson?

• Strontium (@strontium) said on 28th June 2014, 13:23

Trying to think how many times Richard Branson has set up a team, or come in to buy / sponsor one, and withdrawn no time later.

The irony is that it was the Virgin team he bought into as it started, and if he were to buy Caterham he would essentially be buying their main competitor.

2. Osvaldas31 (@osvaldas31) said on 28th June 2014, 10:18

Regarding COTD, the worst thing for me about standing starts, is that fans might be robbed for potential fight for position. Imagine a faster car trying to overtake slower car. Now that would be easier if you do a standing restart and away goes all enjoyment, which this battle might have provided. It’s just a nonsense idea.

3. rudi (@rudi) said on 28th June 2014, 11:53

Didi Mateschitz? Two teams just are not enough…

4. Deej92 (@deej92) said on 28th June 2014, 11:59

Having thought about it, I’ll go with a Honda buy-out of Team Leafield, ready for next season to rename it ‘Super Aguri’, playing the part of McLaren and Honda’s junior team.

But it is probably most likely going to be Kolles or someone like that.

5. Strontium (@strontium) said on 28th June 2014, 13:52

Firstly, I’m glad it’s being bought and not just going into nowhere. Also, new management and money could mean that it improves and competes.

Secondly, I doubt Kolles will be involved due to his involvement in Forza Rossa.

6. Sri Harsha (@harsha) said on 28th June 2014, 14:42

“The development [this year] is one thing but we are developing the engine for next year already … It’s not that we are more focused on ’15 than ’14 but its just that for ’15 we’ve got the freedom to develop our engine, to get some new parts in, basically nearly everything. In 2014 its all fixed so it’s a bit hard to change the hardware with the rules. We do as much as we can on what we can change.”

I’m Happy Renault to say that they are done for 14, i certainly wont put my hopes on 15 though as we witnessed how Mercedes Stole the March and sealed the Championships Unofficially i doubt things change drastically for 15 as well .

7. Joel morrell said on 28th June 2014, 16:09

Why not Carl Haas.

8. megatron said on 28th June 2014, 19:00

Caterham bought by arab investors reportedly. I would call the team “Brabham Racing Otganisation Ltd.” from now on, as there is no link to Caterham anymore.

9. SauberS1 (@saubers1) said on 28th June 2014, 19:43

As I can see it’s thinkable that the Caterham will leave the F1.

10. Marussi (@marussi) said on 28th June 2014, 21:39

has anyone heard something about Forza Rossa? its very quiet about them? new USF1 ?

11. Sean Doyle (@spdoyle17) said on 29th June 2014, 1:51

Just a thought after the IndyCar race in Houston today: That race was the example of what can and will happen should these standing restarts proceed. We might as well go to the 10-6-4-3-2-1 scoring system just to make it at least SOME challenge for a driver to score if they make it to the end.

12. Sam Andrew said on 30th June 2014, 10:50

I personally don’t see what all the fuss is over the proposed standing restarts, and the COTD is ridiculous – you do realise we already have standing restarts in F1? It happens when ever the red flag comes out; you can assume the restart procedure will either be similar to the full blown red flag restart procedure, or a cut down version to speed things along.

I’ve never watched a restart and though to myself, well this would have been more exciting had it been a rolling start behind the safety car.

13. Wichard said on 30th June 2014, 11:01