F1 offers $50,000 prize to enhance live race data

2014 F1 season

Timing screen, Abu Dhabi, 2011A $50,000 (£29,000) prize is being offered for the best new solution to presenting live data from F1 races.

The F1 Connectivity Innovation Prize is seeking new ways to present the information during F1 races on the Official F1 app, F1 website and to F1 teams, media and Paddock Club guests.

The prize is the first of three challenges being offered by Tata Communications and Formula One Management.

Entries will be judged by a panel including Lewis Hamilton, Martin Brundle and Mercedes executive director for technical Paddy Lowe.

Formula One Management’s chief technology officer John Morrison, who will also judge the competition, explained what they hope to gain from the competition. “We are looking for a mechanism to choose specific parameters, produce the calculations and display this information in an exciting and innovative way.”

“Obviously a mechanism to continuously update this information as the race weekend unfolds is a major part of the challenge.”

“It is undoubtedly the case that a wealth of predictive information about proposed race strategy and current car performance can be derived from the session timing information,” he added.

Entries to the competition can be found on the Tata Communications website.

2014 F1 season

Browse all 2014 F1 season articles

Image © Lotus

56 comments on F1 offers $50,000 prize to enhance live race data

1 2 3
  1. WilliamB (@william-brierty) said on 2nd July 2014, 9:52

There’s a top five never to be repeated…

2. PorscheF1 (@xtwl) said on 2nd July 2014, 9:54

But for this they ask fans? I could not care less for the data if other gimmicks ruin the acutal racing which in the end is what I want to see! Perhaps they could just start with letting their app do simple stuff and actually work sometimes…

3. th13teen said on 2nd July 2014, 10:02

Lets not bash everything F1 does now…be fair…its a good idea and some brainiac will come up with an incredible idea!

• Nick (@nick-uk) said on 2nd July 2014, 18:35

The lucky winner may now be able to buy a ticket for a race weekend too! Is the pricing of tickets not also a more pressing concern? I can understand a high price if they are in demand but too often do we see more empty seats than full, right? Austria seemed to be an exception?

Feel free to correct me if I’m wrong.

4. Max Jacobson (@vettel1) said on 2nd July 2014, 10:05

This is a good idea: I just wish they would extend the fan involvement to the new proposals also.

Then maybe they’d recognise all you need to do is cure the dirty air problem.

5. dragoll (@dragoll) said on 2nd July 2014, 10:08

If you look at the app at face value, and looked at what features it currently offers (excluding the fact that its unreliable at the moment), then I would be hard pressed to say that the app is not offering what I’m after. However, I think this is a bad move, unless there is a truly game changing idea to spring forth from this competition.
    Some people I’ve spoken to are unhappy it doesn’t show live feeds, however, from my perspective, I’m sitting in front of my 46″ TV with surround sound for race action and wouldn’t bother on my mobile device. So, from my perspective, my primary use of the app is purely the live timing, so I can see any of the information about who is where, what the gaps are, sector times, etc… Sure, it would be nice to see what gear Nico is in around the lap, or what the fuel usage is, however, this is nothing that can’t be added to the current data without fuss. Don’t reinvent the wheel, how about you just improve upon it so that we move away from a stone wheel to a wooden wheel. Then in 5 years we might be in a position to have steel wheels, and who knows, in 10 years we might have an carbon wheel.

6. NickF12013 (@nickf12013) said on 2nd July 2014, 10:11

Wait… In which season were Alguersuari, Maldonaldo and Grosjean on the same grid?

7. $50,000? I’m sure ultimately it’s worth more than that.

• BasCB (@bascb) said on 2nd July 2014, 10:43

Should be if it works, yeah.

• spoutnik (@spoutnik) said on 2nd July 2014, 11:43

50k is a quite standard price for a basic application, without any fancy feature.

• Joey-Poey (@joey-poey) said on 2nd July 2014, 14:48

It probably is, but more so they have their pick if the litter. Companies do this to artists all the time: “we don’t want to have to pay everyone, so we’ll call it a contest and we get tons of free work from eager people!”

We call it the “it’ll look great in your portfolio” syndrome.

• hutch (@hutch) said on 3rd July 2014, 3:26

This sort of “contest” makes me angry. Let’s let everybody work for free, and then we only have to pay for one idea that we like the best.

Why don’t they actually hire a competent company to design and build their systems (particularly the app, which is a confusing unreliable mess) and pay them properly.

8. ForzaAmon said on 2nd July 2014, 10:21

Wow looks like only fans in Australia, Brazil, Canada (excluding Quebec), Finland, Germany, Hong Kong, India,
    Norway, Singapore, Spain, the United Kingdom, and the United States can apply. Nice one TATA and FOM!

9. King said on 2nd July 2014, 10:29

They should enlist the services of the people who designed and ran these websites:
    and

Shame that FOM took them down.

10. Patrickl (@patrickl) said on 2nd July 2014, 10:41

Lets start by giving us the sector times back instead of those useless dots. *BOOM* $50,000 in tha pocket!

11. Dafffid (@dafffid) said on 2nd July 2014, 10:44

It’s good that they realise they need to update – much of the coverage has barely changed in a decade, the onscreen info is still maddeningly positioned and unhelpful, and almost guaranteed to never answer the questions you find yourself asking. And it’s good that they’re open to suggestions on how best to use the more comprehensive data available. But my heart sinks at the phrase “display this information in an exciting and innovative way.” I don’t want it in an exciting an innovative way – I want it in an accessible, comprehensible, coherent way. If you start turning it into irritating flashing animated gimmicks then it will be just another reason to turn off.

12. Dave said on 2nd July 2014, 10:55

Nice idea but it doesn’t help that the sport is run by a Dinosaur who is stuck in the past and has his head buried in the sand when it comes to broadcasting technology. Bernie just doesn’t want to know. He’s the same age as my Dad who couldn’t give a toss about the internet or technology either. It’s an age thing that’s all. Which is why F1 will benefit once Bernie is no longer associated with it. Good idea this.

13. BrawnGP said on 2nd July 2014, 11:14

so they want fans input on this and but nothing else. Typical FIA…
    *Fumbling Idiotic Association

14. Brad Bircumshaw said on 2nd July 2014, 11:19

To be fair I watched the 2012 British Gp last night and got reminded how much I used to enjoy this sport all these changes have corrupted the racing as they say if it ain’t broke don’t try to fix it

15. pSynrg (@psynrg) said on 2nd July 2014, 12:06

How to enhance live data?

How about the blindingly obvious change of not shafting people on an annual basis to pay an extortionate amount for this woeful and flawed app?

$50k please…