Raikkonen expects F1 exit after 2015

F1 Fanatic Round-up

Kimi Raikkonen, Ferrari, Silverstone, 2014In the round-up: Kimi Raikkonen expects to retire from Formula One again at the end of next season.

Links

Your daily digest of F1 news, views, features and more.

Raikkonen likely to retire at end of 2015

“Until my contract is finished and then I will probably stop. That is what I think is going to happen.”

F1 ‘very stupid’ to drop Monza (Autosport)

Raikkonen: “You hear how they might drop that race and it would be very stupid in my opinion for Formula 1 and for everybody. Hopefully it will never happen.”

Wolff ends wait for women drivers

Claire Williams: “She will be doing exactly what Valtteri [Bottas] would have been doing [when he was a test driver]. She’s got the responsibility that she would have to set up the car. She knows the car, she’s done a lot of preparation in the simulator. She’s perfectly competent to do tomorrow’s session without causing any hindrance to the team.”

Sergio Perez: “Susie would be better in the kitchen”

Thanks to MikeJohnno for the tip.

‘Standing restarts will work’ (Sky)

FIA race director Charlie Whiting: “Two things drivers were concerned about. One was fairness. Fairness being a leader is more likely to lose his lead from a standing start than he is from a rolling start. Whether that’s true or not, I’m not quite sure.”

Hamilton inspired by Muhammad Ali (BBC)

“I think about Muhammad Ali. He sat on the rope and let [George Foreman] have the upper hand until he decided it was the right time to turn it around.”

Rosberg struggles with fatherly advice (F1)

“He doesn’t really give advice in that regard. If he does it’s not so easy to take the advice. In hindsight I would always take it but in the first moment it’s never so easy to just accept it, I’ll often try to argue the point.”

Q&A with Force India’s Nico Hulkenberg (F1)

“Our car was really strong [in Bahrain], with a lot of awkward slow-speed corners and angles – so tracks in that mould are good for us. Having said that, this track here in Silverstone is significantly different: high-speed corners – so this weekend might come down a bit hard on us.”

Tweets

Comment of the day

@Petebaldwin doesn’t buy Bernie Ecclestone’s threats about Monza:

There is absolutely no chance at all that Monza will be dropped. Bernie is just playing one of his little games to try and grab more money in a new contract.

Having no race in Italy and losing a track like Monza just won’t happen.
@Petebaldwin

From the forum

Happy birthday!

Happy birthday to Mclarenfanjamm!

If you want a birthday shout-out tell us when yours is via the contact form or adding to the list here.

On this day in F1

Fernando Alonso led the first 32 laps of the French Grand Prix ten years ago today but Ferrari used a four-stop refuelling strategy to get Michael Schumacher into clear air so he could jump ahead of the Renault driver and win.

On the final lap Rubens Barrichello displaced the other Renault of Jarno Trulli for third place:

Image © Ferrari/Ercole Colombo

153 comments on Raikkonen expects F1 exit after 2015

1. moblet (@moblet) said on 4th July 2014, 1:50

Any phrase about women belonging in the kitchen is triggering. The appropriate response from Wolff would be to beat Perez and then bake and present him with a plate of biscuits afterwards.

• Vic (@hendrix666) said on 4th July 2014, 2:14

@moblet I would so love to see that happen. Then they hug and it’s done. I am hoping this does not get crazy. I think its clear he meant nothing bad. KitchenWoman is the connotation that is the prob.

But most intelligent people in 2014 understand that the concept is no longer relevant. It ain’t Leave it to Beaver days any more.

Out of the billions alive on earth right now, she will be 1 of 22 human beings driving in F1 tomorrow. I think that fact shows Perez wasn’t serious. But even if he was, the mere stat I just mentioned would make him a total idiot. Which I don’t believe he is.

• Breno (@austus) said on 4th July 2014, 2:35

Not only would that be a childish response… she probably cant pull it off.

• dirgegirl (@dirgegirl) said on 4th July 2014, 8:40

I find Perez’s comments thoughtlessly sexist and stupid – but “triggering”, really???

2. Guy (@sudd) said on 4th July 2014, 2:05

3. Scottie (@scottie) said on 4th July 2014, 2:11

Lewis might well be waiting on the ropes, letting Nico have his run… but like Muhammad, he’ll have to dodge a few punches along the way!

Let’s see if he’s fast enough!

• BasCB (@bascb) said on 4th July 2014, 7:12

I think its fun to see how Hamilton is pulling every thing he can to keep on top of feeling down from losing out to Rosberg for a couple of races now. Shows how much effort goes into it for him (and most likely much the same for Rosberg before Monaco), makes it interesting to follow

• Optimaximal (@optimaximal) said on 4th July 2014, 9:54

Rosberg was sorta doing the same during Hamilton’s 4-in-a-row…

He was a little bit more level headed about it, but pre-Monaco you could see he was a little edgy when asked the question for the 42nd time.

• BasCB (@bascb) said on 4th July 2014, 10:30

exactly, that was why

(and most likely much the same for Rosberg before Monaco)

@optimaximal.

Its a bit of these things that at least make it interesting to see how a driver reacts to the inevitable questions, instead of hearing “we will improve”, “we have to be carefull of the competition” and standard answers like that

4. Formula Indonesia (@f1indofans) said on 4th July 2014, 2:55

If Kimi does not improve this year, I think 2015 will be a right time for him to retire in F1

5. Kelsier (@kelsier) said on 4th July 2014, 3:51

If you read the full translation it is clear that Perez makes a joke at his own expense, not Susies. But having seen Susie race it would not surprise me if she really was better in the kitchen.

6. karter22 (@karter22) said on 4th July 2014, 3:59

yup…. I knew everybody would overeact with Perez´ comment… That is one reason why I hate this hypocritical-politically correct-fake society we live in. It´s a JOKE!! And even if it´s a “sexist” joke, if you can´t listen to it and just giggle then you´re better off wearing a skirt!
    Jesus, bring back the old days when it was ok to act the way James Hunt did and just speak your mind regardless what ANYBODY thinks… ugh… and then we get to read comments about how drivers today are PR robots and such and people longing for days gone past…

• sonia luff (@sonia54) said on 4th July 2014, 17:09

@karter22 I’m female and i’m with you.

• Guy (@sudd) said on 4th July 2014, 21:02

@slava and @ sonia54, if you guys had actually read what I said, you’d know I was actually defending Checo. But then again some people only see what they want to see.

Did you guys read my earlier comment?:
        “It’s just a clumsy attempt at a self deprecating joke. He’s no comedian so cut the guy a break.”

@Karter22, is acting like there is some big outrage because of what Checo said when there is not. It was a honest mistake by Checo and that is why most people let it go. Society has moved on. So when people make genuine sexist, racist comments they cannot hide behind “political correctness” or call society weak for not letting them say offensive comments. That is the world we live in today and I think that is a good thing. No one is saying you can’t joke around but understand somethings are off limits or people you offend will retaliate. It wasn’t always like that. Go watch the TV show Mad Men and see how things have changed for the better. I know its Television but its not that far from how things really were back in the day. Blaming it on political correctness or calling society weak is a lame excuse to say offensive things. Again, I don’t think Checo was being offensive to Wolfe or women in general.

• karter22 (@karter22) said on 4th July 2014, 22:35

It was a honest mistake by Checo

@sudd
          Since when voicing your opinion or making a joke about yourself a mistake???? Nobody should get offended because they are just words! A simple joke… I´m latin american so I get the joke because spanish is my first language and our way of thinking is different!! And I sincerely don´t see anything wrong with what he said. Sure call us macho and what not but I sincerely didn´t think anything bad about what he said but I knew there would be some people which are mentally weak and easily offended that would pull out the sexist card! That to me is lame and that is why most of the time, depending on the time or place, I usually tend to tell people off when they try to act righteous and stuff because it´s hypocritical! Anyways…. enough about that, at least there are people like @sonia54 and @slava that can take a joke and don´t get offended!

• Guy (@sudd) said on 4th July 2014, 23:06

@karter22, when you’re a public figure its probably a mistake to imply women belong in the kitchen. Even if its a harmless self deprecating joke…you just don’t want to go there. Public figures including F1 drivers have PR coaches and I’m willing to bet they are told to stray from making comments like that. Again, even if its a harmless joke. No good could come from it.

7. woogle said on 4th July 2014, 4:23

no no no hands off monza lad, jujst try to bargin a comfy cell and dont drop that soap

8. David Cantu (@bugsracer) said on 4th July 2014, 4:24

“Nira Juanco ‏@njuancof1
    Las declaraciones sacadas de contexto son peligrosas. @SChecoPerez hoy ha hablado muy bien de Susie diciendo que es una gran piloto…”

In english says: the statements out of context are dangerous. @SChecoPerez today talks very well about Susie and he states that she is a great pilot

This is from the Nira Juanco twitter account, she is a friend of Checo, and the comment in the interview was a joke to her not to Susie

9. LotsOfControl (@for-unlawful-carnal-knowledge) said on 4th July 2014, 6:14

If find it very interesting, that out of 60+ comments until this moment, only two are about Kimi’s retirement and 50 are about kitchen and dishes!
    ?????

10. Piyush (@square-route) said on 4th July 2014, 6:42

Get ready for a Force India 1-2 in the practice session …. :D

11. JCost (@jcost) said on 4th July 2014, 7:33

@keithcollantine I was expecting a small note on Antonio Felix da Costa joining a Formula E team for the opening season…

Formula E really is emerging a the “second tier” of single-seaters.

12. coefficient said on 4th July 2014, 8:27

Wow! Don’t current f1 cars seem awkward and slow compared to that ferrari of rubens. It dances from apex to apex with ease and he can break so late and still get into the corner. Wonderful.

13. Dan Brown (@danbrown180) said on 4th July 2014, 9:57

On the one hand, we ask for more personality from drivers, then on the other when they show it, their words get over analysed and misinterpreted. I think it’s brilliant that Susie is driving this practice session, I bet she posts mid table times. If James Hunt had said something like Sergio, he’d be loved for it.

• Optimaximal (@optimaximal) said on 4th July 2014, 10:00

If James Hunt had said something like Sergio, he’d be loved for it.

In the 70′s, yes. Today, not so much…

Society changes – the best can still have their say, jokes & all, without getting themselves into hot water.

14. Keith Campbell (@keithedin) said on 4th July 2014, 10:54

From the sky article on standing starts, Charlie Whiting – “Fairness being a leader is more likely to lose his lead from a standing start than he is from a rolling start. Whether that’s true or not, I’m not quite sure. Equally, if you’re in second place you might actually like the idea if you are able to take the lead, which you probably wouldn’t do in a rolling start.”

First of all, it is much more likely for the leader to lose the lead from a standing start than a rolling start. I don’t have the stats to hand but that is something that would be easy to prove statistically. And the final sentence completely contradicts his statement – he says the driver in second might like the idea because he has a chance to take the lead “which you probably wouldn’t do in a rolling start.”

If you’re going to try to justify a huge rule change at least get your arguments straight before talking to the press.

15. Fixy (@fixy) said on 4th July 2014, 11:40

That Barrichello video shows him exulting in a particular way, fist closed and thumb and little finger out, just like Massa has started doing. Is he his inspiration?