2014 British Grand Prix second practice
Lewis Hamilton led another Mercedes one-two during practice at Silverstone – before his car broke down.
There was half an hour of the session remaining when Hamilton’s car came to a stop moment after he left the pit lane with an apparent engine failure. Earlier in the session he had also been advised of a failure on his brake-by-wire system.
Before that he used the medium tyres to set the fastest time of the session with a 1’34.508. After that he improved his time through the first sector of the lap – where he had been told he’d lost time to Rosberg – before backing off and returning to the pits.
Rosberg’s best effort was two-tenths of a second slower, which put him half a second ahead of Fernando Alonso’s Ferrari. The two Red Bulls were next, Daniel Ricciardo a tenth of a second ahead of Sebastian Vettel.
Hamilton was one of three drivers who came to a stop on the track during the session. Jean-Eric Vergne brought his Toro Rosso to an immediate halt when his front-left wheel began to part ways with his cars in Abbey. Toro Rosso immediately called in the other car of Daniil Kvyat to check for the same fault.
Marcus Ericsson also suffered a problem in his Caterham. He pulled off into the old pit lane after a failure which left him with damaged bodywork around his engine.
A similar fate befell Valtteri Bottas, whose engine cover broke off on the Hangar straight. The Williams team had repaired his car following the oil pressure problem which ended Susie Wolff’s run in it during the morning session.
Felipe Massa was also able to get going again following his heavy crash in practice. However as the chequered flag appeared at the end of the second session he reported a loss of power in his Williams.
2014 British Grand Prix
- Bottas wins second Driver of the Weekend in a row
- Silverstone’s 50th grand prix proves a fine vintage
- 2014 British Grand Prix team radio transcript
- 2014 British Grand Prix fans’ video gallery
- Top ten pictures from the 2014 British Grand Prix
2014 F1 practice sessions
- Hamilton to the fore as Mercedes remain on top
- Rosberg heads Mercedes one-two in first practice
- Hamilton quickest by less than a tenth in final practice
- Hamilton stays ahead in second practice
- Mercedes on top with Raikkonen best of the rest
Image © Daimler/Hoch Zwei