2014 British Grand Prix grid

20. Pastor Maldonado*** 1’44.018
Lotus
Row 11 21. Marcus Ericsson**** 1’49.421
Caterham
22. Kamui Kobayashi**** 1’49.625
Caterham

*Five-place penalty for gearbox change
**Ten-place grid penalty for unsafe release from the pits and five-place penalty for gearbox change
***Excluded from qualifying due to insufficient fuel to provide a sample
****Failed to set time within 107% of fastest Q1 time, given dispensation to start

Image © Daimler/Hoch Zwei

117 comments on 2014 British Grand Prix grid

1. Michael Brown said on 5th July 2014, 14:12

I would have thought the same as Hamilton. The first two sectors aren’t any good, and there won’t be enough time to make up in the final sector. How wrong I was.

Best qualifying session I’ve ever seen.

2. Yoshitsune (@yobo01) said on 5th July 2014, 14:12

Highest Ferrari engine on the grid is 12th, a Marussia! Who would have thought!

Very interesting grid for tomorrow, though. I have to say that qualifying sessions in 2014 never fail to deliver.

3. Bobby (@f1bobby) said on 5th July 2014, 14:12

Jesus. Another gift for Rosberg. Shell shocked. Can’t be bothered watching it tomorrow; I’d like Rosberg to pick my lottery numbers please. Joker.

4. Max Jacobson (@vettel1) said on 5th July 2014, 14:12

I’m still utterly gobsmacked. I thought Red Bull and Vettel had had another almighty screw-up, but a 3s+ gain in the final sector – now that I did not anticipate.

Ferrari and Williams also, and Bianchi, and McLaren, and Hamilton & Ricciardo…

• spoutnik (@spoutnik) said on 5th July 2014, 14:22

I first thought there was an error in the times displayed.

• Eric (@) said on 5th July 2014, 14:35

@vettel1

Nor did Red Bull. or they would have sent Ricciardo out as well.
      It’s looking more and more like they’re trying to keep Vettel unsettled. Why on earth would they not have him go out together with Ricciardo when, up until then, he was actually (a lot) quicker than Ricciardo. It makes absolutely no sense to me. Just like the 2nd pitstop at Canada.

That bit in the end was finally a bit of luck for Vettel this season. Something that has been long overdue. But who knows, his engine might die again tomorrow and he’ll be back to square one again.

• Max Jacobson (@vettel1) said on 5th July 2014, 14:37

The way they showed Mark Webber in the garage at Red Bull will have fostered a lot of superstition, particularly if his engine does indeed die tomorrow!

• Eric (@) said on 5th July 2014, 14:50

@vettel1

LOL. Yeah, something to look out for.

Perhaps Webber didn’t actually leave RBR but instead he’s now controlling the team from the shadows…

The ultimate payback. Not bad for a number 2 driver.

• Max Jacobson (@vettel1) said on 5th July 2014, 14:39

It is strange though, isn’t it @baron-2? Vettel was quite clearly a lot faster – for perhaps the first time this season – yet Red Bull sent him out too late, in (at the time) sub-optimal conditions.

I’m certainly not a conspiracy theorist, so I don’t believe it was malicious, but they’ve made a few questionable decisions this season (as you have highlighted) and Vettel has had in contrast to Ricciardo an alarmingly high rate of unreliability.

• Eric (@) said on 5th July 2014, 14:54

I’m certainly not a conspiracy theorist

Me neither. Maybe it’s just a run of tough luck paired with some unfortunate calls from the pitwall. We’ll see how this progresses.
          But in the back of my mind I’m already wondering if Red Bull know a little more about Vettel’s future than we do and that they’re not too happy about it.
          Something to do with Domenicale’s phonecall perhaps…

5. Pawel (@marik) said on 5th July 2014, 14:13

Shame for Williams, hope they’ll recover tommorrow.

6. yihwarang (@yihwarang1) said on 5th July 2014, 14:14

What a silverstone!!

7. JackySteeg (@jackysteeg) said on 5th July 2014, 14:16

What a thrilling qualifying session! Shame about the result for Mercedes, though, since Hamilton is too far back to stop Rosberg from walking away with it. It’s looking like a thriller from 2nd place down though!

8. I am not a Hamilton fan, actually I do strongly support Ferrari, but watching his interview on BBC made me very sorry for him. Go Lewis, go! (never believed one day I could have said that…)

9. Dan_the_McLaren_fan (@dan_the_mclaren_fan) said on 5th July 2014, 14:17

Button P3, Magnussen P5
    Alonso P17, Raïkkönen P19

This makes my day!

• spoutnik (@spoutnik) said on 5th July 2014, 14:21

I’ll never understand people enjoying other’s failure.

• Strontium (@strontium) said on 5th July 2014, 14:30

Kills mine, but Alonso clearly found the situation of 4 front cars being at the back so ridiculous he was almost laughing at his own loss.

I have nothing against McLaren, and don’t mind seeing them succeed, but I am a Ferrari fan and this result is just a disaster.

• Dave (@raceprouk) said on 5th July 2014, 17:33

I must admit I found Alonso’s attitude in the press pen surprising. In a good way of course. Seems he’s decided to just enjoy himself this weekend, and not worry too much about a championship he’s probably not going to win anyway :-)

10. greg-c (@greg-c) said on 5th July 2014, 14:17

Can anyone remember a larger gap between pole and last place in recent times ?
    Like 15 seconds ,
    Wow

11. peter said on 5th July 2014, 14:18

i am a Ham fan from the start but he seriously has a mental mindset problem. it is obvious he thought he could screw up Rosberg lap as payback. Unless he gets his own strategist & some guidance from someone like Mika Hakkenin his year & career is finished.

12. spoutnik (@spoutnik) said on 5th July 2014, 14:19

What a great result for the Marussias!
    Shame for Ferrari and Williams, Sauber drivers as disappointing as usual, big kudos to Rosberg, Vettel and Button !

13. iAltair (@ialtair) said on 5th July 2014, 14:21

Not bad for Red Bull #2 driver today ;)

14. tino852 (@tino852) said on 5th July 2014, 14:25

In 2008 Heikki Kovalainen took pole position for the British Gp. On July 6th 2008, Hamilton won the British GP. Tomorrow will be the 6th anniversary of that day.

15. Stizl said on 5th July 2014, 14:34

For a split second I thought we were going to see the Vettel finger :p.