Alonso and Vettel at odds over battle for fifth

2014 British Grand Prix

Fernando Alonso, Ferrari, Silverstone, 2014Fernando Alonso and Sebastian Vettel complained about each other’s driving during and after an intense fight for fifth place.

Vettel made several attempts to pass the Ferrari during which time both repeatedly claimed that the other had exceeded track limits on the circuit to gain an advantage.

The Red Bull driver also accused Alonso of leaving him too little space when the pair went side-by-side into Brooklands on more than one occasion.

“It felt very close inside [the cockpit],” Vettel told reporters afterwards. “A couple of times maybe too close.”

“Obviously got a bit silly when we both started to complain, I think, about the other car going off-track. But I don’t think the people care too much whether the car is half a metre further to the left or right at some exits of the corner.

“I knew when I got the message that I should respect the limits that he was complaining because that’s the sort of thing that he tends to do. So I decided to do the same thing. I don’t know who won in terms of keeping the list, maybe we need to ask the stewards.

“I was tight I think twice, it was a bit too harsh I think into turn six, if I don’t back out of it then we crash, because I could stay on the track and with me there he couldn’t make the corner so… yeah and the other hand you know it’s tough when your racing, it will be hard.”

Alonso, who was warned about exceeding track limits earlier in the race, complained furiously on the radio after he’d been passed by Vettel, insisting the Red Bull driver had done so because he had been able to use DRS because he had gone off the track at the final corner.

“He take the DRS thanks to the track limits in the last corner,” Alonso told race engineer Andrea Stella. “He take the DRS out of turn five and out of turn nine. What more I need to do?”

Afterwards Alonso said, “obviously there was a lot of adrenaline in the moment,” and said he had been coping with several problems in his Ferrari.

“Unfortunately we had the battle in the wrong moment of the race, probably. We had even discussed with the team two laps before the battle when Sebastian went out of the pit if we retire the car because we had some aerodynamic problems.

“The rear wing was stalling and it was causing a lot of problems in the car. We have battery problems and suddenly Sebastian arrive there and we have battery problems, stall problems and we need to save fuel in the last part of the race. So we said that will be impossible to keep him behind.

“But the laps was going on and on and he stayed behind and yeah at the end one lap before or one lap later he will overtake us anyway. The track limit was just some kind of thing to keep the team busy I think he was complaining about me, I was complaining about him, that was funny from the outside.”

2014 British Grand Prix

Browse all 2014 British Grand Prix articles

Image © Ferrari/Ercole Colombo

157 comments on Alonso and Vettel at odds over battle for fifth

1 2 3
  1. goondu86 (@goondu86) said on 6th July 2014, 16:48

This battle alone is what makes racing great, seeing 2 drivers give absolutely no quarters to each other, while putting their trust in the other driver that there won’t be any physical contact between the cars. Incredibly satisfying to watch both Alonso and Vettel duke it out over those particular laps.

• Lou (@l-ciamp) said on 6th July 2014, 19:43

What makes it even better is that they started 2nd and 16th. Who would have thought the best battle of the race would be between the two cars that started in those positions. Alonso was the driver of the day as far as im concerned.

• Marussi (@marussi) said on 6th July 2014, 20:40

if they could focus on just racing and not Moaning

• David-A (@david-a) said on 6th July 2014, 21:59

Exactly. It was a great duel between the 2 champs, but somewhat soured by both drivers whinging.

• Irejag (@irejag) said on 7th July 2014, 0:35

I believe that a lot of the track boundary issues would be resolved if they just made it a cut and dry rule at all corners at all tracks: DO NOT PUT ANY part of the car over the white lines.

• LDLS said on 7th July 2014, 7:58

Like you would not have said a word ? Right.. Let them race and speak out.. Does it affect you ? You not racing and risking it .. In all races ..moaning like you said is reaction to both being under extreme pressure and adrenaline.. you don’t even race quietly when you are far away from your objective and you keep struggling.. If any of you people even race to win in your lives you would understand.. Am guessing not.. because I have been racing for over 7 years.. not pro level but semi-pro and not for like 1 hr of racing but 3-6 hours of freakin cycling.. I can only say that this is what happens when frustration and tiredness gets the best of you .. when you giving everything you got.

• Max Jacobson (@vettel1) said on 6th July 2014, 22:59

I found the radio exchanges strangely entertaining, but in a different spectrum to the racing itself. On a lot of occasions because I disagreed with Sebastian!

• American F1 said on 7th July 2014, 15:20

Wholeheartedly agree! At the end of the race, this is the battle that sticks out for me, not the inevitable Merc at the front. Great wheel-to-wheel, even inter-wheel racing with neither driver giving an inch; best part of the whole race IMO.

2. toiago (@toiago) said on 6th July 2014, 16:49

Stall problems on the rear wing? Did he have anything broken on it?

Nevertheless, I have never heard of such a problem before. Can someone enlighten me please?

• Mike (@mike) said on 6th July 2014, 18:24

A stall occurs when the wing is too steep, or rather, the wings angle of attack is too great. As the air comes away from the wing instead of following it. A wing relies on the air staying attached to it to create lift or in this case, down force.

If the airflow is separated from the wing it (probably) causes a severe loss of downforce.

As the wing also loses drag, it is the mechanic that the F-duct took advantage off, as they would purposefully stall the wing to reduce drag down the straights.

It’s kinda scary if it’s happening to him mid-race. Because unlike the f-duct it would be uncontrollable.

• lee1 said on 6th July 2014, 19:38

He could have been referring to the tail wind causing the wing to stall. It affects some cars worse than others.

3. Fer no.65 (@fer-no65) said on 6th July 2014, 16:55

I don’t think Alonso put a foot wrong there at all. Vettel was on the outside, side by side, that corner has a wide entering but a very tight exit. Vettel could only got out ahead had he been a long while ahead at midcorner, like Alonso did at Copse, or on the inside, like he did at Copse.

• Lari (@lari) said on 6th July 2014, 17:01

And Alonso didn’t do anything wrong, hence no penalties and both fought on.

• Yoshitsune (@yobo01) said on 6th July 2014, 17:17

They were side by side mid corner, Vettel probably wanted to stay alongside Alonso to have the inside for the next corner. Alonso didn’t want that, so he cut across the track to take the inside of Luffield. There’s an onboard shot from Vettel that shows it very well.

I don’t know, I can understand Vettel’s frustration, but I don’t think it was unfair by Alonso. A bit cheeky, yes, but that’s what made this battle so thrilling.

• dennis (@dennis) said on 6th July 2014, 18:03

Exactly, I too can understand Vettel’s frustration with Alonso’s moves, but it wasn’t unfair or deserving a penalty.
        The complaining they both did on the radio was cringeworthy, though. Kinda funny, but I wish I could have just enjoyed the amazing racing without them trying to stop it with an intervention from Charlie Whiting.

• karter22 (@karter22) said on 6th July 2014, 18:42

In all honesty, I did not like the complaining coming from Alonso because of the track limit because he was doing it aswell but, I do understand it because he was right, because of Vettel going off limits, he was able to gain on him enough to get a better tow using the drs so I do get that side BUT, what I loathed was Vettel´s bit**ing. THAT was pure racing, something that we have been begging for a long time now. It´s hilarious listening to him about leaving space… It seems that he has a short memory because I remember quite well when he squeezed Alonso out of curva grande a few years back… NOW Vettel knows what it is like to race against a real champion just like ALO did when he beat Schumi 2 years in a row and it just goes to show that those 2 championships Alonso won outweight those 4 he has…
      The only thing that made it easier for me to swallow him getting past ALO was the fact that ALO was on older tyres than what Vettel had. Come to think of it, it just makes ALO look even better!

• @karter22 One race, one overtake, a fun duel and BAM Alonso his 2 titles equal Vettel his 4 titles.

• NOW Vettel knows what it is like to race against a real champion

Remind me again, who was he racing against for the the past seven years? I could have sworn there were several real champions on the grid while VET won his WDC’s.

• Wesley (@wesley) said on 6th July 2014, 21:11

Thank you for that comment rm….people should be called out when they make dumb comments like that

• karter22 (@karter22) said on 7th July 2014, 1:53

@rm yeah… and tell me how the 150 italia or the f2012 and f138 were so much superior than the redbull cars?? Vettel in 2011 never raced anyone since he started on pole most of the time… 2012, well that season the driver that ended up in second place of the championship was regarded by most as the true champion in a dog of a car… and although the f138 was good on the tyres at the begining… all of a sudden the tyres were no good and needed to be “fixed” and everything went down the crapper for Ferrari… so in reality 2010 to me, was the only true championship the kid won and he did so on a mistake by Ferrari… they covered the wrong bull.
          And BTW you are missing the whole point of my comment. FA was complaining about track limits which I did not like at all (and I AM AN ALONSO FAN) but Vettel complaining about the hard racing is just comedic to me… was the boy scared?? like he doesn´t squeeze everybody who gets near him (grosjean in hungary comes to mind)?? It´s so funny that he bit**ed about having to back out or else he would have hit him… I wonder if Villeneuve or Arnoux complained about their scrap. I think not. That was racing but it seems that this today was a bit too much for the fabulous 4 time WDC… Both of them bit**ed and I agree that is was terrible but bit**ing about the racing?? Are you serious?? Maybe he´s in the wrong business if he felt scared of real racing! Or maybe he got confused and thought the other car was an STR and expected him to yield.
          Sure Alonso likes to whine to Charlie but at least he´s not scared or backs out of a good fight.

• David-A (@david-a) said on 7th July 2014, 2:17

@karter22

Complained about Rosberg’s defending at Bahrain 2012, which was ruled legal? I’m not even going to get into how much I disagree on your opinion of “true championships”, but a funny thing is when Alonso complained that time, Vettel mocked him in a press conference. Wonder if Alonso will return the favour next race weekend ;)

• Nathan (@il-ferrarista) said on 7th July 2014, 2:24

• karter22 (@karter22) said on 7th July 2014, 3:54

@david-a

That would be funny…. I would definitely do it… but it´s like comparing apples and oranges because then, it was about leaving space… this time it´s vettel moaning about being “too close”…. which frankly… makes him look like a wimp in my opinion because Vettel likes to crowd his opponents and most yield but not ALO… he did not yield and because of that we got a great show!

• uan (@uan) said on 6th July 2014, 21:10

@karter22

you do realize from what Vettel said, he started complaining because Alonso was complaining about him?

If the point of fight between Alonso and Vettel, beyond the sheer fun it provided in an otherwise boring race, we could easily point out that what Vettel was doing was pure racing and Alonso got a taste of how a real champion, one who has more WDCs then he does, races, and that you can’t always be whinging to Charlie or the powers that be to keep your position, blah blah blah.

Speaking of Curve Grande, in 2011 Alonso squeezed Vettel out onto the dirt. So I guess Vettel has raced against a “real” champion, and if I recall, he wasn’t on the radio saying “you must leave room, always you must leave room!” :)

Both Alonso and Vettel are legitimate champions. Both fought hard and fair and both realize some of their whinging was silly (as VET) put it. It’s all good. Hopefully we can see more.

• Dave (@raceprouk) said on 6th July 2014, 22:42

Speaking of Curve Grande, in 2011 Alonso squeezed Vettel out onto the dirt

You’re thinking of 2012, and it was Vettel that pushed Alonso off.

• Max Jacobson (@vettel1) said on 6th July 2014, 23:02

No, he’s thinking of 2011 @raceprouk.

• Dave (@raceprouk) said on 6th July 2014, 23:03

I may be wrong, but didn’t Alonso leave at least a car’s width at all times?

• Max Jacobson (@vettel1) said on 7th July 2014, 10:30

That was extremely debatable @raceprouk – Vettel ended up with I believe four wheels on the grass.

The only reason he wasn’t penalised and Vettel was is because there was a subsequent clarification on track limits defending and whether Curva Grande classed as a corner or not.

• karter22 (@karter22) said on 7th July 2014, 2:01

@vettel1
          Max, I can´t remeber precisely the year but when Alonso squeezed Vettel, he did leave a car´s width… But the next year Vettel did not leave the car´s width AND he pushed him off track… So who´s the dirtier driver??
          Alonso is a very correct driver and doesn´t intentionally put people´s life at risk. What he did at Copse today just reminded me of the move he made on Michael at the 130R… Ballsy moves!

• Max Jacobson (@vettel1) said on 6th July 2014, 23:01

There was only one instance where I thought “that was a bit cheeky”, and it was on the second occasion where Alonso quite suddenly cut across from his line to defend the position in Brooklands, in the process nearly collecting Vettel’s front wing.

But there was nothing worth investigating.

• Keith Collantine (@keithcollantine) said on 7th July 2014, 8:40

@fer-no65 I agree, Alonso’s positioning was fine there, and Vettel would have done the same in his position. He pretty much did with Hamilton at Village on the first lap.

• Asanator (@asanator) said on 7th July 2014, 10:03

@Fer-no65 It wasn’t really ‘a bit cheeky’, Alonso was on older tyres and was squaring the corner up to get drive onto the old start/finish straight, he did it for lap after lap and Vettel knew not to go sticking his nose in there which is why he didn’t.

4. Rooney (@rojov123) said on 6th July 2014, 16:55

From what I saw, both Vettel and Alonso went off the track limits multiple times. Alonso was even showed a black and white flag for this. Even after that, Alonso went off a few more times. So, my question is why aren’t they being penalized for this?
    Consistency, my ass. Stewards are a joke!

• Lari (@lari) said on 6th July 2014, 16:57

That’s a fair point. I’m still happy they didn’t since the battle was fun to watch :)

• regs (@regs) said on 6th July 2014, 17:00

Exactly this moment is important. How Vettel overtook Alonso.

• mnmracer (@mnmracer) said on 6th July 2014, 18:06

If as FIA you announce (in Austria) that you are going to give drivers more freedom to just race hard and fair, and then start penalizing them when both drivers move over a little left and right in the heat of the battle, you’d be doing it very wrong.

• Jason (@jason12) said on 6th July 2014, 21:26

It’s great that the Stewards didn’t punish anyone, but ooh the INCONSISTANCY.

• Keith Collantine (@keithcollantine) said on 7th July 2014, 8:42

@rojov123 Particularly given that Alonso was shown the flag before his battle with Vettel, and then continued to do so during it. I’m pleased the battle wasn’t decided by the stewards penalising one of them for it, but clearly the stewards failed to discourage abuse of the track limits. Another good argument for why changes need to be made to the run-off.

• Asanator (@asanator) said on 7th July 2014, 10:08

In fairness though Vettel was going out of track bounds as much as Alonso which kind of negates any advantage being gained (Maybe Magnussen lost out a bit) and it was in the heat of battle. A good call from the stewards I would say. Also, It s one thing going out of track bounds at copse on a flying quali run, but it is quite another when tucked up behind the front wing of another car mid race when so much front downforce is lost. A bit of running wide is inevitable.

• Rooney (@rojov123) said on 7th July 2014, 11:55

It is not about who gains what advantage. It should be about consistency. Now, if the stewards penalize someone anytime during the rest of the season, how would that bode? Some people can’t be punished, but others can?

• Asanator (@asanator) said on 7th July 2014, 13:14

I would say that the stewards were very consistent, they appear to have issued warnings where required to keep drivers on there toes but not issued any penalties as it wasn’t felt anyone gained enough to warrant one and spoil the racing that was going on. The stewards have already been asked not to be so penalty happy and I think they exercised their judgement well at the British GP.

Asking for consistency is one thing but I want consistency in the penalties issued not necessarily whether something is penalty worthy or not, that is what the stewards are there to decide otherwise there would be no point in having a driver steward.

Finally the rule itself isn’t black and white, there is the element of gaining and advantage which inevitably throws a vague area into the judgement process.
            I haven’t seen the official F1 clarification however autosport reported it thus

‘The FIA also clarified that any driver who gained a ‘clear and lasting advantage’ during the race by leaving the track at the same turns would be reported to the stewards.’

Which is NOT the same as the Clarification for Qualifying as Charlie Whiting said……”I would like to remind all teams and drivers that we will adopt a ‘zero tolerance’ approach to cars leaving the track on the exit of turns 9 and 18 during qualifying.

“Unless we are satisfied that a driver left the track at either of these points for reasons beyond his control, having been forced off track for example, every lap time achieved by leaving the track will be deleted in accordance with Article 12.3.1.d of the Sporting Code.”

5. clay (@clay) said on 6th July 2014, 16:56

The battle was great but Vettel crying about Alonso’s driving was less than great. Alan Jones summed it up beautifully on Aussie Tv post race, describing the constant radio bickering as pathetic and the F1 equivalent of saying “I’m going to tell my mum on you!” before going on to say that he should just shut up and race.

Could have been a battle to rival Villeneuve and Arnoux at Paul Ricard but no…

• Lari (@lari) said on 6th July 2014, 16:59

Did you even read the 1st sentece of the article? I quote “Fernando Alonso and Sebastian Vettel complained about each other’s driving during and after an intense fight for fifth place.” If you disliked Vettels crying, you disliked Alonso’s crying aswell.

• Corrado (@corrado-dub) said on 6th July 2014, 17:07

Who started it ?!?!

• We will probably ever know that, not all radio messages are broadcast, and anyway, its irrelevant unless you’re 5 years old. They were both doing as much complaining as each other, which took a wee bit away from the battle, but still, a highlight of the race for me.

• Corrado (@corrado-dub) said on 6th July 2014, 17:27

Give me a break with your 5 year old kid etc etc. This kind of stuff happens in the real world of matures: when someone accuses a certain person of something, by not responding at all to those accuses, in most cases is interpreted as TRUE. More exactly, if ALO would have kept his mouth shut all the way, most people would have taken VET’ sayings for granted. Anyway, we have finally some real racing, for quite some laps too, that’s why it was even greater… but some people still complain… although F1 is regarded as boring overall. It’s a contradiction.

• Breno (@austus) said on 6th July 2014, 17:13

Vettel, but the first time (when Alonso passed him) was really close. Any driver would have complained.

• alonso_fan (@f1007) said on 6th July 2014, 17:28

this is probably first time vettel was in close racing , but its nothing new for alonso, hamilton and button there is nothing to complain, if he wants to play safe why even attempt the overtake ? ya vettel started complaints first.

• David-A (@david-a) said on 6th July 2014, 22:03

@f1007 – I guess it was new for Alonso when he complained about Rosberg in Bahrain 2012, for Hamilton in Monaco 2011, when he whinged about everything in sight, or for Button in this very race, complaining about Alonso.

• alonso_fan (@f1007) said on 6th July 2014, 22:16

@david-a i am talking about close racing, you are talking about something else, not sure how that is relevant.

• David-A (@david-a) said on 6th July 2014, 22:18

@f1007 – You’re suggesting Vettel complained because he hasn’t ever been involved in “close racing” (which is total nonsense). I pointed out that those drivers have complained in similar situations.

• alonso_fan (@f1007) said on 6th July 2014, 22:33

@david-a i know Bahrain was just single move, its not close racing, and button’s complaint was about track limits which is fine,don’t remember lewis’ monaco, but today after vettel’s every failed attempt, he complained saying “would have crashed if i hadn’t braked, he turned in … blah blah” just whinging….. thats wat i am talking about he has no experience so he thinks anything close is dangerous , he had it easy all 4 years driving best car in the front, and now when challenged to wheel to wheel battle he starts to complain and moan.

• David-A (@david-a) said on 6th July 2014, 22:46

@f1007 – I’m not going to claim Vettel didn’t complain/moan, but Vettel has had plenty of “close racing” in his career. His career didn’t just start in 2010 you know.

(Also Bahrain 2012 wasn’t a “single move”, Rosberg defended the way he did from Alonso for several laps).

• alonso_fan (@f1007) said on 7th July 2014, 0:02

@david-a that is precisely my point, bahrain ended up badly for alonso, i remember he was pushed off the track, at least he felt he was so he complained, here nothing bad happened, you cannot complain everytime somebody comes close you know ;)

• David-A (@david-a) said on 7th July 2014, 0:24

@f1007

you cannot complain everytime somebody comes close you know

Indeed, but in both cases, the driver complained because they felt the other guy did something wrong, when in fact the other guy had stayed within the rules ;)

• alonso_fan (@f1007) said on 7th July 2014, 1:20

@david-a exactly, vettel had it too easy that his threshold is so low that he whines just for wheel to wheel challenge, alonso complains when he was pushed off track.

• David-A (@david-a) said on 7th July 2014, 1:53

@f1007 – Alonso wasn’t pushed off track by Rosberg either- he claimed he was, when in the heat of the moment just as Vettel did.

• David-A (@david-a) said on 7th July 2014, 1:58

@f1007 – And as I said, Vettel’s not “had it too easy”, his career didn’t start in 2010- he’s had his time battling others throughout his career.

• INDONESIA said on 7th July 2014, 14:10

Its not first time close racing for Vettel.Remember abu dhabi 2012,when vettel made it from last position and climb into 3rd..that was close wheel to wheel versus jenson button.also turkey 2010,but he failed that time haha

• uan (@uan) said on 6th July 2014, 17:43

@corrado-dub

Alonso started it by complaining that Vettel was obeying the track limits. Vettel himself said he started getting warnings about the track limits which he knew was coming from Alonso so he started responding back – which lines up with how the action unfolded.

The deeper point is that both drivers know in retrospect that it was a bunch of whinging on both their parts:

Vettel “Obviously got a bit silly when we both started to complain…”

Alonso “It was adrenaline in the moment…The track limit was just some kind of thing to keep the team busy I think he was complaining about me, I was complaining about him, that was funny from the outside.”

People can choose to rag on one or the other or both drivers, but what is clear both were racing against each other 100% which is what we as fans want to see.

If any one should be singled out, it’s the director of the broadcast for playing those messages. Ultimately, the messages added to the drama.

And for MAG behind the duo, talk about a master class in defending and challenging. The pass Vettel ultimately made was the best of the year (made so because Alonso gave no quarter and they were side by side).

I love Alonso afterwards “he needs to give the position back right now…” lol.

• Corrado (@corrado-dub) said on 6th July 2014, 18:05

Mmm, so ALO has a 3rd eye, at his back ?!? Let’s be honest, it’s so much easier to see what’s happening in front than what’s happening at the back. So, VET definately had the edge in keeping the eyes on ALO’s every move. I’m not contradicting you 100%, but I remember VET being the driver who started this complaints fight after 1-2 laps of track fight.

• Deb Luhi (@debeluhi) said on 8th July 2014, 3:39

Yes, it’s called mirrors

• Ceejay said on 6th July 2014, 20:38

Well…. Technically Button started it. He called in to complain about Alonso which got him the black & white flag. So in a way by the time Vettel came along Alonso was looking for equal treatment.
          But Alonso was right about the last lap of the duel. Vettel is hugely wide as they cross the line which gives him the momentum to be closer to Alonso under the DRS.

• Who started it ?

Button was complaining about Alonso going off track as far back as lap 25. And Alonso received a warning for that, then continued to exceed track limits with impunity for the rest of the race.

• Max Jacobson (@vettel1) said on 6th July 2014, 23:03

There’s no point in asking the “who started it” question, for it in itself is a childish comment!

• Patrick (@paeschli) said on 6th July 2014, 18:01

Yep if Vettel was a crybaby today, I don’t think Alonso was any better.

6. Mashiat (@mashiat) said on 6th July 2014, 16:57

Still was probably the best battle for several years that wasn’t for a win (Bahrain 2014) place! 2 drivers, 6 championships, 71 victories, Silverstone, Great Battle. Nuff said.

7. danieru said on 6th July 2014, 16:57

Phenomenal battle. Both Alonso’s pass and Vettel’s later one are what we watch the sport for. Could sure do without the whining on the radio though.

• Corrado (@corrado-dub) said on 6th July 2014, 17:51

Of course. That’s proof enough why some guys kept on saying, and I think I’m joining that group now, that VET’s champs are kinda undeserved, he never proved he’s a top driver. It was the all-conquering RBR who won 4 WDCs, not Vettel. This guy is proof enough how pathetic F1 is nowadays as philosophy: the guy with the faster car expects from the driver with slower car in front to make room and let him pass… just because he’s slightly faster.

• dennis (@dennis) said on 6th July 2014, 18:11

Oh dear… This crap again…

• David-A (@david-a) said on 6th July 2014, 22:13

@corrado-dub That’s a very silly comment. Over not one year, but a period of 7 seasons prior to this one, Vettel easily proved he’s a top driver. That’s beyond argument.

• Corrado (@corrado-dub) said on 6th July 2014, 22:36

Yup, kinda… but it seems to be some truth in it. Encountered many guys saying that about Vettel, did not agree… but now I’m looking a little different at this saying. Overall that was fair racing, just as we like to see every race. But some guy (= Vettel) started to complain about not being given enough room (to pass) by ALO. From what I know, in racing the position have to earned, not a present. So, basically, it’s Vettel’s racing philosophy that bugs me and makes some guys wonder a little, me included. If you remember, the 2005 and 2006 San Marino GPs were a close fight between MSchumacher and Alonso, just like today between ALO and VET, but happened over many more laps… but none of them said something about the other !!! In 2005 ALO won, in 2006 MSchumacher. So yeah, VET is 1 of the drivers who brought the CRY-BABY situation in F1 and made a rule out of it.

• Yappy said on 6th July 2014, 23:32

@corrado-dub

Drivers have complaining about other drivers since the start of racing. We only hear it now because it is televised. Even Schumacher and Alonso were having words when they were fighting. We just never heard it on TV.

• Oscar (@oscar) said on 7th July 2014, 19:33

Are you talking about Alonso complaining about Petrov in Abu Dhabi 2010? ;)

8. regs (@regs) said on 6th July 2014, 16:59

Vettel obviously cheated this time. He went off track limits when exiting Arena achieving higher speed to catch up Alonso in Brooklands. And then he went off track limits at full speed in Copse.

9. Mashiat (@mashiat) said on 6th July 2014, 16:59

he was complaining because that’s the sort of thing that he tends to do.

And you, Vettel, have never complained of anything ever!

Flashback: Multi 21, Malaysia and Austin 2012.

10. Max Jacobson (@vettel1) said on 6th July 2014, 17:00

There was only one occasion where I felt Alonso’s defending was questionable, which was on the second occasion at Brooklands. Alonso did cut across the track quite viciously, and Vettel did have to quite noticeably back out to avoid contact.

But even that was fine under the rules, so the stewards were completely correct in letting the battle run.

11. Bobby (@f1bobby) said on 6th July 2014, 17:01

Very entertaining battle. All good.

12. Mashiat (@mashiat) said on 6th July 2014, 17:02

Alonso had problems! Still defended like his life depended on it! #Respect

13. Abuelo Paul (@abuello-paul) said on 6th July 2014, 17:06

It was unimportant, although amusing, the radio battle between the two, what was exciting was the wheel to wheel racing. AT LAST real racing. Something that F1 has been missing for quite some time. Unfortunately this will be a flash in the pan. It is unlikely to occur in future races this season.

14. Atticus (@atticus-2) said on 6th July 2014, 17:06

This was as great a battle as there’ll ever be.

The moment, when Fernando – as Martin Brundle said – “left it 100% to Sebastian if they are going to crash or not” when he took the Red Bull on the outside at Copse.
    The moment, when Fernando pushed things to the very edge to keep Sebastian behind at Brooklands and then at Luffield.
    The moment when the two were racing side-by-side towards Copse for the second time and Fernando left (or did not leave) enough space on the outside for Sebastian.
    The moment when Sebastian finally tucked inside at the exit of Luffield and they remained inches apart all through the old start/finish straight.
    The moment when Sebastian decided that whenever Fernando brakes for Copse, he is going to brake later and pulled it off.

I feel like this was the best duel of the season so far.

• Sri Harsha (@harsha) said on 6th July 2014, 17:12

Best duel of the Past 3 or 4 years if you ask me, Forget the whining as its the heat of the moment but how hard they pushed each other is Intense and pleasure to watch and for a moment i thought isn’t this is F1 of past

15. Best battle of the season. The moaning of both drivers only show how committed they are. Searching for EVERY opportunity.

1 2 3