Jenson Button, McLaren, Silverstone, 2014

Rate the race: 2014 British Grand Prix

2014 British Grand PrixPosted on | Author Keith Collantine

Jenson Button, McLaren, Silverstone, 2014What did you think of today’s race? Share your verdict on the British Grand Prix.

Rate the race out of ten and leave a comment below:

Rate the 2014 British Grand Prix out of ten

• 1 (2%)
  • 2 (0%)
  • 3 (1%)
  • 4 (1%)
  • 5 (3%)
  • 6 (6%)
  • 7 (16%)
  • 8 (38%)
  • 9 (25%)
  • 10 (8%)

Total Voters: 709

Loading ... Loading ...

1 = ‘Terrible’, 10 = ‘Perfect’

You need an F1 Fanatic account to vote. Register an account here or read more about registering here. When this poll is closed the result will be displayed instead of the voting form.

See the results for past seasons here:

2014 British Grand Prix

Browse all 2014 British Grand Prix articles

Image © Daimler/Hoch Zwei

254 comments on “Rate the race: 2014 British Grand Prix”

1. 7/10, what a great race. What a performance by … *continued in driver of the weekend thread*

1. Ok race certainly this was good result for the championship, there were great overtakes even though when DRS was activated some of the passes were not that interesting. The attrition early on and the lack of fight for the podium made this one of the least entertaining races thus far, the tack looked empty for most of the race. Nevertheless I did rate it 6/10

2. @dh1996 I wanted to reply about the DotW not the race so it goes like this. Hamilton wins just for the wording. Respect Ham was a gentleman this weekend and the comment about the trophy just adds up.

2. 8, Finally lady luck shines for Lewis !!
    Championship back to square again :)

1. I would give it a 10 if Nico was there for a fight for P1, but on the other hand his misfortune did make the championship more interesting. Plus, lots of fierce battles for lower top 10 places made it a great race, that Vettel vs Alonso battle with epic team radios records was a great display of motor racing.

1. Totally agree on every point. You just made my comment for me :)

2. Turns out Lady Luck was with Chilton, he just said a wheel alloy from Kimi hit his nose and front left brake duct..

1. I guess the Lady Luck was also with Massa and Raikkonen for getting out of that situation with nothing serious. Could’ve been different situation just 20 years ago with same accident.

1. 20 years ago, there would have been a very good chance that Kimi could have been hurt very badly or even killed. And the tyres flying off might would have been much worse if not for the tethers.
          Chilton was extremely lucky with the wheel flying around. I know this comment will make me very unpopular, but one day someone like Massa (Hungary), Chilton today, James Hinchcliffe (Indy car about 6 weeks ago…hit in the head with debris)…is going to die from a head trauma that could have been avoided by a fighter plane style cockpit cover. When it happens, THEN F1 and other series will no longer run with the open cockpit. I still believe Dan Wheldon might be alive today had he a bullet proof cockpit cover that could have at least deflected the blow.

Sorry, I shouldn’t be so maudlin after a great race, but seeing how close Max came really scared me.

1. Henry Surtees was killed in an F2 race at brands hatch in 2009 when exactly this happened.

2. @cdavman
            I forgot that one as it’s hard to track the F2, F3.5, GP2, etc over here in the US. Very sad…and preventable.

3. Well 20 years ago Kimi there would’ve been no tarmac for Kimi to just blat his way over and rejoin at full chat.

3. 5.. dull race

1. Matt (@hamiltonfan1705)
      7th July 2014, 13:38

You kidding, third best race of the season for me after Bahrain and Canada and most exciting British gp I’ve watched. I was there at Luffield and much of the alonso/vettel battle happened right in front of us!

4. Cracking race !! Sad Rosberg retired, it’d have been awesome to see Hamilton oveertake him while he was still moving.

Bottas and Alonso come back was great, but the dogfight between Alonso and Vettel takes the prize. That was one of the greatest bits of racing I’ve ever seen… if it wasn’t for the constant complaining…

9/10 for me!

1. UPDATE}}

10/10 because Hamilton complained about the rubbish trophies and got the gold one a race winner deserves.

1. Exactly, isn’t it awkward to get a symbol of international (Spanish origin though) banking company for the price? OMG, could the sponsors draw the line somewhere and let the trophies be atleast unique and not like that!

2. Yeah, bonus point to Ham for that. The shonky things they gave out on the podium looked even worse than the junk they handed out in previous years.

Also, once they did find the real trophy – it was pretty amusing that they had a minder following it around snatching it back at every opportunity.

Cancelled out a -1 for all the red flag faffing around (can’t they organise some sort of bolt-on patch to get barriers back into shape quickly during a race?). For me, 8 overall.

1. (can’t they organise some sort of bolt-on patch to get barriers back into shape quickly during a race?)

Barriers are bolt-on patches. I don’t mind waiting if the track is deemed safe. Another impact where the barrier was damaged could’ve had very serious consequences

2. Alonso also saying that he lost the battery and had a rear wing issue from mid-race onwards… !

3. Exactly, watching live, the atmosphere was incredible, I was at Stowe, and there were a lot of great overtakes, including a lovely drive round the outside by Bottas, can’t remember who he overtook though. Lewis’ doughnuts were right in front of me which was the icing on the cake. But as said earlier, I would have preferred a direct overtake by Lewis on Nico, followed by Nico’s retirement but it was still incredible.

1. @williamstuart
        As you were at the race, would you share your thoughts on the noise level of the new engines and whether it affected “the show”. I’m just very curious of those who were live. I’m going to Austin so I’ll find out for myself, but I’d love to hear from those who were already there!

1. Matt (@hamiltonfan1705)
          8th July 2014, 16:48

The noise is just incredible, and I got much more of a thrill from this year’s cars than I did last year, because this year’s cars, I didn’t need any ear protection, and I was on the second row of the luffield grandstand, and I got much more of a thrill than i did with the v8s last year where i had to wear ear defenders.

1. I was sat in the second row of the Luffield grandstand to what seat number were you in? I found the noise to be great too. Cant wait to go to next years british GP. I rated the race an 8 only thing lacking for me was seeing if Hamilton could pass Rosberg on track.

4. @fer95, better tyres = better racing, Vettel could not have maintained the pressure if Pirrelli had bought the soft and supersoft.

5. 10/10 BOT driver of the weekend!

1. I’m torn on Bottas and Alonso….probably go with Bottas but Alonso did a lot with a lesser car once again and he fought like a demon with Vettel to keep that spot as long as he could.

1. Apparently Alonso had a rear wing issue as well as a battery problem from the middle of the race according to @fastiesty.

2. Remember that on paper at least the Williams is not great at Silverstone, seeing as it is a low downforce car on a high downforce track. However that didn’t seem to play out, but regardless, what an incredible drive by Bottas

1. That’s a great point, @williamstuart, I had completely forgotten that while I was commenting but I was even remarking about it myself during the race…so I totally agree with you.

2. BJ (@beejis60)
      6th July 2014, 20:25

@jedimaster9 Ya but BOT qualifying was crap… Qualy is part of the weekend.

1. @beejis60 But, in my opinion, it’s a bit hard to judge anyone too harshly in Qualy when changing track conditions make luck as important as skill.

1. I was about just to say that. It not was his fault and he at least beat Felipe again.

1. Hey Felipe should get driver of the weekend for not T-boning Kimi at 150 mph.

2. BJ (@beejis60)
          7th July 2014, 13:43

@daved @patrickl Qualy is during the weekend and is usually among one of the most important aspects of the weekend; this is not driver of the race. If anyone deserved anything, I would say perhaps ROS, RIC, BUT, or VET… But none deserve it and therefore, no one really will get my vote.

1. Yeah that’s all lovely, but when do they get the points? So which is most important for the weekend performance?

Especially seeing how the drivers who did performed best (had most luck) during qualification were the ones that performed poorly during the race.

At best if it’s a tie between two drivers over the race then perhaps the qualy can make the difference, but you seriously cannot suggest that some bad luck with changing weather conditions makes Bottas’ stellar drive any less worthy of DOW. Or those of Hamilton, Ricciardo and Alonso.

2. The guys who performed well in Qualy didn’t do so well in the race though. In the end the race is more important so, even with a poor qualifying, it will have to be the guys who performed in the race. Like Bottas, Alonso and Hamilton.

6. We are only halfway into the season and have already had three absolutely phenomenal Grand Prix. Gotta love 2014.

1. So true.

2. It’s been a vintage year. With DRS being less effective we have seen great battles through-out the field. That Vettel/Alonso scrap demonstrated it perfectly. I just hope the powers that be see this and keep DRS the same for next year and beyond. If they make it more powerful i literally lose my _ _ _ _

8/10 from me.

1. 8 for me too, that Vettel/Alonso scrap is what has been missing from F1, Pirelli should stick to the Hard/Medium choice for the rest of the season, that scrap could not have happened with the Soft/Supersoft tyres. I disagree about DRS though, in this case the DRS just compensated for the power deficit of the Renault over the Ferrari, if the Renault had the power of the Ferrari it would have been all over in one straight line.

3. Exactly, I don’t understand all the criticism, it’s a more exciting season than many I can remember, with some absolutely incredible overtakes. I was already convinced Seb was a great racer, and that overtake was the best I’ve ever seen, they were inches apart at points, reminded me a lot of the red arrows that flew over an hour before!

1. To be honest there have been two exciting Grand Prix’s this season Bahrain and Canada and one really good fight outside of those races, the one we had today. The rest of the time though it has put me to sleep. Malaysia, China, Australia, Austria were very boring races. Even this race I struggled to stay awake for 25 laps in the middle, only the battle woke me up.

7. The race 9/10 thanks to Alonso and his wonderful performance, BEST DRIVER 10/10 for hm.

1. And Vettel’s overtake of the season on Alonso ;)

1. Please….. Vettel was on fresh rubber while Alonso was on quite old tyres… that alone just makes Alonso look so much better…
        What I disliked was the moaning coming from both… at least Alo wasn´t acting like a bit** about the racing.

2. Corrado (@corrado-dub)
        6th July 2014, 20:09

Maybe I’m wrong, but didn’t ALO made a move exactly like that, at the same corner on VET 15 laps before ?!

1. Corrado (@corrado-dub)
          6th July 2014, 23:20

I was right, ALO passed VET at the same point, but even greater… with an outside pass ! ;)

2. yea good battle for several laps , Vettel probably to only true race who can race the frontrunner from behind basically and two best drives to race eachother , last time they were togehter was in singapore ,then it was for p1 and it was the whole race basically k ..

8. 9.
    WHAT A RACE! One of the best of the year! Spectacular Hamilton, Awesome Bottas, Epic Alonso. Truly Amazing Race! Also the Vettel vs. Alonso fight goes to one of the most epic in history! Pure racing between these two titans.

1. @ccaine-mackeine I’m just asking. Why does Hamilton his performance deserve the word ‘spectacular’?

1. His overtakes on both McLarens? Then pushing for Rosberg and then his massive charge for him after the bad pitstop? Hamilton really did what he needed to do take his win at his home race, he deserves it.

1. He deserves it, sure. But he didn’t have to overtake the one car that would possibly deny him the win…? Did you see how easily both Mercs drove away from Bottas and the rest of the field? By lap 22 they had over a 30s lead.

1. Yeah, for sure there dominating by a large margin, but how on Earth did Lewis managed to reduced the gap from 6 to 1 second in 2 laps? To a car with equal pace? That was the Spectacular thing.

2. Did you miss Rosberg mentioning the issue with the downshift shortly before Hamilton started gaining on him @cocaine-mackeine.
            Not wanting to spoil any feelings of how great Hamilton is, but I would say it had a big part in why he was actually faster there.

3. @bascb And don’t worry about “the feelings” I think I watched the things from a different perspective.

4. Did you see how Lewis was closing on Nico despite being on the slower tyre (I think?). I believe Lewis would have made it by.

2. the charge? What charge was that @cocaine-mackeine? You mean where Hamilton was running fine while Rosbergs gearbox was giving up on him?

1. @bascb Thank you. Oh listen to the BBC

No luck, all skill today!

2. @bascb A-Ha….. and that explains the fastest laps he made after he mentioned the issue…..

3. His overtakes on both McLarens?

The McLarens were yielding in order to not waste any time in a fight with a car that was gonna finish ahead anyway. Absolutely no fight at all there.

Rosberg´s gearbox-issues started lap 21 (at least he said so), so there is nothing to compare Hamilton´s pace with, which means we don´t know whether it was any good.

1. He mentioned the issues and after that he made fast laps ( so he wasn’t affected by the issue) but then Hamilton pitted and got up in charge and just in that moment Rosberg collapsed.

2. @cocaine-mackeine They only reason he started doing fastest laps was entirely due to him pushing to the max for the first time in the race combined with having a brand new set of medium tyres.

3. And he would’ve made faster laps without the issue. You seem to be in disbelief that Rosberg had any issue prior to the lap when he retired? What broadcast were you watching? Overtaking 2 McLarens with Merc is something that everyone expects and it’s nothing there. He didn’t put a finger wrong in race but saying the overtakes on McLaren makes it spectacular is just rubbish.

2. It’s called “SUPERIOR CAR” with LH’s teammate having downshift problems and that is why he made up 6 sec in 2 laps, there is nothing ‘spectacular’ about LH or his making up time or his flying up the grid at the start. The PETRONAS Mercs are faster and a superior car and that is not because of the pilots as the other pilots in the field especially Alonso and Vettel, would make mince meat out of LH and NR with the same power and performance. It’s as simple as that. The race at the start was a 3/10 until the Alonso Vettel duel which made it scrape in at 5/10.

2. Exactly Sebby is a true talent and a great guy too, incredible overtake

1. Too bad Vettel was caught napping when Alonso overtook him in the first place. Necessitating Vettel to go through all that trouble taking the place back again. Also it was bad enough he had so much trouble overtaking a car on older tyres and mechanical problems while driving on a fresh set himself.

1. @patrickl Ferrari engine versus Renault engine, nothing more.

1. Had nothing to do with the engine. Col tyres maybe, being held up by the car in front (Magnussen?) maybe. Engine, no.

Either way, it was way too easy for Alonso to overtake him there like he did.

9. The wrong whiner on the top spot. F1 is now officially as boring as NASCAR.

1. @gpwa3 You’re wrong.

2. Don’t revolve your race score over 1 driver retiring. Maldonado retired at the end and how would that affect people’s scores?

1. I kinda want to see Maldonado in a NASCAR-short-track race right now. Just a spontaneous thought.

However, he was an innocent victim today.

3. Chris (@tophercheese21)
      6th July 2014, 15:58

Oh please.
      Formula One is a Stratovarious violin. NASCAR is some fat sweaty bloke banging some pots and pans together.

1. well put :)

2. A “what” violin ?
        “Stratovarious” ?

I don’t know if you are joking… but that’s not the name of the great italian Master !

1. A combo violin/electric guitar !

1. A Gibson !

3. Haha exactly

1. pedants :p

4. F1 was a Stradivarius and now its ended up a “Stratovarious” without any strings…lol

4. Nathan (@il-ferrarista)
      7th July 2014, 1:15

Your’re very very very wrong mister.

10. 9/10

Rosberg out might have robbed us of a battle at the front but the battles down the rest of the field were amazing.

11. It should have been 10 but -1 because of lost battle between Nico-Ham.

1. Dave (@raceprouk)
      6th July 2014, 15:51

12. Brilliant!

Shame Rosberg’s car broke down, otherwise we’d have had a brilliant battle for the lead, and the red flag period was frustratingly long, but other than that not really any complaints with respect to entertainment value.

And thank you Alonso and Vettel for the radio and track battle – that was thoroughly entertaining!

13. I think this classy race deserves a 9. There were some good passes (particularly by Bottas), nice battles, great comebacks by Alonso and Bottas and a fantastic battle between Alonso and Vettel. What is more, the race result has made the title fight interesting again.

It’s a pity that the strategic battle between Rosberg and Hamilton came to a premature end but otherwise it was a great race.

1. What about Ricciardo? have you missed his outstanding performance of racing on one set of tyres for 36 laps? where were you?

1. Agreed, that was a fabulous performance and Ricciardo outperformed Vettel again despite starting six places behind. He’s definitely a strong candidate for the driver of the weekend and one of the best drivers of the season so far.

14. Absolutely loved the battle between Seb and Fernando. Real wheel to wheel stuff. Amazing drive by bottas and I sure didn’t have Ricciardo down for a podium before (or during) the race! That race had just about everything. Gave it a 9. Probably would have been perfect if the battle for the lead wasn’t hampered by Rosberg’s unreliability.

15. 9. That’s all I really want from a race – great wheel-to-wheel action, several teams with similar pace, a couple of young chargers on the podium and some doughnuts.

They don’t need to improve the show, because that was great!

1. Precisely. We don’t need gimmicks we just need good tracks, preferably with spectators too……

16. 9/10, simply incredible. The battle between Vettel and Alonso really just made it unbelievable. Alonso’s charge was incredible, so was Bottas’, Button had a nice race, unbelievable accident in the beginning and to top it all off a home winner. Simply amazing!

17. Danksa (@danieljaksa)
    6th July 2014, 15:38

Loved it! Well done Lewis, Valtteri, Daniel and Jensen. They all raced brilliantly.

1. Danksa (@danieljaksa)
      6th July 2014, 15:43

Oops, that’s Jens’o’n.

18. Gideon Hadi (@)
    6th July 2014, 15:38

One of the best British GP, and possibly better than Bahrain. Cars overtaking and Team Radio Wars. Unfortunately Rosberg was out. But it still a stellar battle. 9

19. Great race, thank you Seb and Fernando for this epic battle, wheel to wheel stuff. I just hope that the FIA will encourage this kind of battles instead of focusing on reminding the drivers with the track limits over and over again

1. Ha, that one really was blow for blow both on track and on the radio @tifoso1989!

1. @bascb
        Just imagine what would happen if Vettel joins Ferrari by 2013

1. sorry 2016

2. Those 2 in one team would be a smasher

20. Just asking to everyone who is of that opinion:

Why was this a spectacular, awesome achievement by Hamilton?

(Ben Edwards)

I need enlightment. For it could’ve been that if he had to pass Rosberg.

1. Well it’s always impressive to see a driver win from well down on the grid even with the car advantage that Lewis has. Add to that the pressure of driving in front of your home crowd and getting on with the job after a poor qualifying. I suppose it was pretty spectacular. Perhaps not as visually spectacular as Bottas and Alonso carving their way through the field throughout the race.

1. @tommy-c If I beat a one-legged man in a running contest by 20s, is that spectacular? Even if I gave him a minute advantage?

1. @xtwl

Well Yeah , if your like me , 120 kg
          Bad back , birn in the 60’s
          Still strong as an ox but couldn’t win a running race against a one legged man !
          Jeepers !

2. For me many drivers coming from far back on the grid .
      First time since 1975 that a win outside top 5 quali ,
      The redbull ferrari fight . Except the whinging .
      Crickey ! Vettel had some pace late !
      Sorry for Nico as i wanted to see that fight .

1. Coming from 6th is hardly the “back of the grid” though @greg-c. Unless you meant Bottas and his drive to 2nd with that.

1. Yep
          Bottas and Fred

3. Was it?

IMO it was a really good race, and Hamilton did everything right today. But there was no spectacle involved at all, nor was there much to awe at. The spectacle was coming from other cars (Bottas, Alonso, Vettel all had their moments), or on a different, not too positive note, Kimi had a spectacular moment, and it was Awesome to see him get out by himself.
      But not Hamilton, be it he had an emotional race result at a very good time of the year for the championship

4. @xtwl just get over yourself. A home win by any driver is always spectacular, regardless of the means to the end.

Why don’t you instead focus on what you did like in the race (if anything) instead of trying to bring things down for others.

1. @psynrg I voted it a 9 for several reasons. I was just wondering where the comments like ‘9/10, brilliant race by Hamilton’ came from. A fair question to ask as several agree with me I guess. This is afterall a forum to discuss and talk about the race.

It’s very cool for him to win but was it really that awe-inspiring performance?

That is what I don’t agree with.