Rate the race: 2014 British Grand Prix

2014 British Grand Prix

Jenson Button, McLaren, Silverstone, 2014What did you think of today’s race? Share your verdict on the British Grand Prix.

Rate the race out of ten and leave a comment below:

Rate the 2014 British Grand Prix out of ten

• 1 (2%)
  • 2 (0%)
  • 3 (1%)
  • 4 (1%)
  • 5 (3%)
  • 6 (6%)
  • 7 (16%)
  • 8 (38%)
  • 9 (25%)
  • 10 (8%)

Total Voters: 709

Loading ... Loading ...

1 = ‘Terrible’, 10 = ‘Perfect’

You need an F1 Fanatic account to vote. Register an account here or read more about registering here. When this poll is closed the result will be displayed instead of the voting form.

See the results for past seasons here:

2014 British Grand Prix

Browse all 2014 British Grand Prix articles

Image © Daimler/Hoch Zwei

258 comments on Rate the race: 2014 British Grand Prix

1 2 3 6
  1. Oli (@dh1996) said on 6th July 2014, 15:30

7/10, what a great race. What a performance by … *continued in driver of the weekend thread*

• Pennyroyal tea (@peartree) said on 6th July 2014, 18:30

Ok race certainly this was good result for the championship, there were great overtakes even though when DRS was activated some of the passes were not that interesting. The attrition early on and the lack of fight for the podium made this one of the least entertaining races thus far, the tack looked empty for most of the race. Nevertheless I did rate it 6/10

• Pennyroyal tea (@peartree) said on 6th July 2014, 18:32

@dh1996 I wanted to reply about the DotW not the race so it goes like this. Hamilton wins just for the wording. Respect Ham was a gentleman this weekend and the comment about the trophy just adds up.

2. AlokIn (@) said on 6th July 2014, 15:31

8, Finally lady luck shines for Lewis !!
    Championship back to square again :)

• JCost (@jcost) said on 6th July 2014, 15:57

I would give it a 10 if Nico was there for a fight for P1, but on the other hand his misfortune did make the championship more interesting. Plus, lots of fierce battles for lower top 10 places made it a great race, that Vettel vs Alonso battle with epic team radios records was a great display of motor racing.

• Iestyn Davies (@fastiesty) said on 6th July 2014, 16:19

Turns out Lady Luck was with Chilton, he just said a wheel alloy from Kimi hit his nose and front left brake duct..

• Lari (@lari) said on 6th July 2014, 18:29

I guess the Lady Luck was also with Massa and Raikkonen for getting out of that situation with nothing serious. Could’ve been different situation just 20 years ago with same accident.

• DaveD (@daved) said on 6th July 2014, 18:45

20 years ago, there would have been a very good chance that Kimi could have been hurt very badly or even killed. And the tyres flying off might would have been much worse if not for the tethers.
          Chilton was extremely lucky with the wheel flying around. I know this comment will make me very unpopular, but one day someone like Massa (Hungary), Chilton today, James Hinchcliffe (Indy car about 6 weeks ago…hit in the head with debris)…is going to die from a head trauma that could have been avoided by a fighter plane style cockpit cover. When it happens, THEN F1 and other series will no longer run with the open cockpit. I still believe Dan Wheldon might be alive today had he a bullet proof cockpit cover that could have at least deflected the blow.

Sorry, I shouldn’t be so maudlin after a great race, but seeing how close Max came really scared me.

• Chris (@cdavman) said on 6th July 2014, 20:18

Henry Surtees was killed in an F2 race at brands hatch in 2009 when exactly this happened.

• DaveD (@daved) said on 6th July 2014, 20:41

@cdavman
            I forgot that one as it’s hard to track the F2, F3.5, GP2, etc over here in the US. Very sad…and preventable.

• Rubicon (@rubicon) said on 7th July 2014, 9:13

Well 20 years ago Kimi there would’ve been no tarmac for Kimi to just blat his way over and rejoin at full chat.

3. jukkre said on 6th July 2014, 15:31

5.. dull race

• Matt (@hamiltonfan1705) said on 7th July 2014, 13:38

You kidding, third best race of the season for me after Bahrain and Canada and most exciting British gp I’ve watched. I was there at Luffield and much of the alonso/vettel battle happened right in front of us!

4. Fer no.65 (@fer-no65) said on 6th July 2014, 15:31

Cracking race !! Sad Rosberg retired, it’d have been awesome to see Hamilton oveertake him while he was still moving.

Bottas and Alonso come back was great, but the dogfight between Alonso and Vettel takes the prize. That was one of the greatest bits of racing I’ve ever seen… if it wasn’t for the constant complaining…

9/10 for me!

• Fer no.65 (@fer-no65) said on 6th July 2014, 15:50

UPDATE}}

10/10 because Hamilton complained about the rubbish trophies and got the gold one a race winner deserves.

• Lari (@lari) said on 6th July 2014, 18:31

Exactly, isn’t it awkward to get a symbol of international (Spanish origin though) banking company for the price? OMG, could the sponsors draw the line somewhere and let the trophies be atleast unique and not like that!

• OldIron said on 6th July 2014, 19:38

Yeah, bonus point to Ham for that. The shonky things they gave out on the podium looked even worse than the junk they handed out in previous years.

Also, once they did find the real trophy – it was pretty amusing that they had a minder following it around snatching it back at every opportunity.

Cancelled out a -1 for all the red flag faffing around (can’t they organise some sort of bolt-on patch to get barriers back into shape quickly during a race?). For me, 8 overall.

• Fer no.65 (@fer-no65) said on 7th July 2014, 1:31

Barriers are bolt-on patches. I don’t mind waiting if the track is deemed safe. Another impact where the barrier was damaged could’ve had very serious consequences

• Iestyn Davies (@fastiesty) said on 6th July 2014, 16:12

Alonso also saying that he lost the battery and had a rear wing issue from mid-race onwards… !

• William Stuart (@williamstuart) said on 6th July 2014, 18:13

Exactly, watching live, the atmosphere was incredible, I was at Stowe, and there were a lot of great overtakes, including a lovely drive round the outside by Bottas, can’t remember who he overtook though. Lewis’ doughnuts were right in front of me which was the icing on the cake. But as said earlier, I would have preferred a direct overtake by Lewis on Nico, followed by Nico’s retirement but it was still incredible.

• DaveD (@daved) said on 7th July 2014, 5:05

@williamstuart
        As you were at the race, would you share your thoughts on the noise level of the new engines and whether it affected “the show”. I’m just very curious of those who were live. I’m going to Austin so I’ll find out for myself, but I’d love to hear from those who were already there!

• Matt (@hamiltonfan1705) said on 8th July 2014, 16:48

The noise is just incredible, and I got much more of a thrill from this year’s cars than I did last year, because this year’s cars, I didn’t need any ear protection, and I was on the second row of the luffield grandstand, and I got much more of a thrill than i did with the v8s last year where i had to wear ear defenders.

• Kris (@kilo-11) said on 9th July 2014, 4:56

I was sat in the second row of the Luffield grandstand to what seat number were you in? I found the noise to be great too. Cant wait to go to next years british GP. I rated the race an 8 only thing lacking for me was seeing if Hamilton could pass Rosberg on track.

• HoHum (@hohum) said on 7th July 2014, 0:16

@fer95, better tyres = better racing, Vettel could not have maintained the pressure if Pirrelli had bought the soft and supersoft.

5. Matheus Ramos (@jedimaster9) said on 6th July 2014, 15:32

10/10 BOT driver of the weekend!

• DaveD (@daved) said on 6th July 2014, 16:35

I’m torn on Bottas and Alonso….probably go with Bottas but Alonso did a lot with a lesser car once again and he fought like a demon with Vettel to keep that spot as long as he could.

• BJ (@beejis60) said on 6th July 2014, 20:25

@jedimaster9 Ya but BOT qualifying was crap… Qualy is part of the weekend.

• DaveD (@daved) said on 6th July 2014, 20:45

@beejis60 But, in my opinion, it’s a bit hard to judge anyone too harshly in Qualy when changing track conditions make luck as important as skill.

• Matheus Ramos (@jedimaster9) said on 6th July 2014, 20:57

I was about just to say that. It not was his fault and he at least beat Felipe again.

• uan (@uan) said on 7th July 2014, 5:38

Hey Felipe should get driver of the weekend for not T-boning Kimi at 150 mph.

• BJ (@beejis60) said on 7th July 2014, 13:43

@daved @patrickl Qualy is during the weekend and is usually among one of the most important aspects of the weekend; this is not driver of the race. If anyone deserved anything, I would say perhaps ROS, RIC, BUT, or VET… But none deserve it and therefore, no one really will get my vote.

• Patrickl (@patrickl) said on 7th July 2014, 14:17

Yeah that’s all lovely, but when do they get the points? So which is most important for the weekend performance?

Especially seeing how the drivers who did performed best (had most luck) during qualification were the ones that performed poorly during the race.

At best if it’s a tie between two drivers over the race then perhaps the qualy can make the difference, but you seriously cannot suggest that some bad luck with changing weather conditions makes Bottas’ stellar drive any less worthy of DOW. Or those of Hamilton, Ricciardo and Alonso.

• Patrickl (@patrickl) said on 6th July 2014, 20:45

The guys who performed well in Qualy didn’t do so well in the race though. In the end the race is more important so, even with a poor qualifying, it will have to be the guys who performed in the race. Like Bottas, Alonso and Hamilton.

6. tmekt (@tmekt) said on 6th July 2014, 15:32

We are only halfway into the season and have already had three absolutely phenomenal Grand Prix. Gotta love 2014.

• D (@f190) said on 6th July 2014, 15:59

So true.

• Jonny Edwards (@racectrl) said on 6th July 2014, 16:45

It’s been a vintage year. With DRS being less effective we have seen great battles through-out the field. That Vettel/Alonso scrap demonstrated it perfectly. I just hope the powers that be see this and keep DRS the same for next year and beyond. If they make it more powerful i literally lose my _ _ _ _

8/10 from me.

• HoHum (@hohum) said on 7th July 2014, 0:26

8 for me too, that Vettel/Alonso scrap is what has been missing from F1, Pirelli should stick to the Hard/Medium choice for the rest of the season, that scrap could not have happened with the Soft/Supersoft tyres. I disagree about DRS though, in this case the DRS just compensated for the power deficit of the Renault over the Ferrari, if the Renault had the power of the Ferrari it would have been all over in one straight line.

• William Stuart (@williamstuart) said on 6th July 2014, 18:19

Exactly, I don’t understand all the criticism, it’s a more exciting season than many I can remember, with some absolutely incredible overtakes. I was already convinced Seb was a great racer, and that overtake was the best I’ve ever seen, they were inches apart at points, reminded me a lot of the red arrows that flew over an hour before!

• Mcquiz (@mcquiz) said on 6th July 2014, 19:26

To be honest there have been two exciting Grand Prix’s this season Bahrain and Canada and one really good fight outside of those races, the one we had today. The rest of the time though it has put me to sleep. Malaysia, China, Australia, Austria were very boring races. Even this race I struggled to stay awake for 25 laps in the middle, only the battle woke me up.

7. Paul2013 said on 6th July 2014, 15:32

The race 9/10 thanks to Alonso and his wonderful performance, BEST DRIVER 10/10 for hm.

8. Mackeine Loveine (@cocaine-mackeine) said on 6th July 2014, 15:33

WHAT A RACE! One of the best of the year! Spectacular Hamilton, Awesome Bottas, Epic Alonso. Truly Amazing Race! Also the Vettel vs. Alonso fight goes to one of the most epic in history! Pure racing between these two titans.

• @ccaine-mackeine I’m just asking. Why does Hamilton his performance deserve the word ‘spectacular’?

• Mackeine Loveine (@cocaine-mackeine) said on 6th July 2014, 15:44

His overtakes on both McLarens? Then pushing for Rosberg and then his massive charge for him after the bad pitstop? Hamilton really did what he needed to do take his win at his home race, he deserves it.

• He deserves it, sure. But he didn’t have to overtake the one car that would possibly deny him the win…? Did you see how easily both Mercs drove away from Bottas and the rest of the field? By lap 22 they had over a 30s lead.

• Mackeine Loveine (@cocaine-mackeine) said on 6th July 2014, 15:50

Yeah, for sure there dominating by a large margin, but how on Earth did Lewis managed to reduced the gap from 6 to 1 second in 2 laps? To a car with equal pace? That was the Spectacular thing.

• BasCB (@bascb) said on 6th July 2014, 15:59

Did you miss Rosberg mentioning the issue with the downshift shortly before Hamilton started gaining on him @cocaine-mackeine.
            Not wanting to spoil any feelings of how great Hamilton is, but I would say it had a big part in why he was actually faster there.

• Mackeine Loveine (@cocaine-mackeine) said on 6th July 2014, 16:27

@bascb And don’t worry about “the feelings” I think I watched the things from a different perspective.

• Nick (@nick-uk) said on 6th July 2014, 16:30

Did you see how Lewis was closing on Nico despite being on the slower tyre (I think?). I believe Lewis would have made it by.

• BasCB (@bascb) said on 6th July 2014, 15:49

the charge? What charge was that @cocaine-mackeine? You mean where Hamilton was running fine while Rosbergs gearbox was giving up on him?

• Sven (@crammond) said on 6th July 2014, 16:13

His overtakes on both McLarens?

The McLarens were yielding in order to not waste any time in a fight with a car that was gonna finish ahead anyway. Absolutely no fight at all there.

Rosberg´s gearbox-issues started lap 21 (at least he said so), so there is nothing to compare Hamilton´s pace with, which means we don´t know whether it was any good.

• Mackeine Loveine (@cocaine-mackeine) said on 6th July 2014, 16:22

He mentioned the issues and after that he made fast laps ( so he wasn’t affected by the issue) but then Hamilton pitted and got up in charge and just in that moment Rosberg collapsed.

• Mashiat (@mashiat) said on 6th July 2014, 16:46

@cocaine-mackeine They only reason he started doing fastest laps was entirely due to him pushing to the max for the first time in the race combined with having a brand new set of medium tyres.

• Lari (@lari) said on 6th July 2014, 18:36

And he would’ve made faster laps without the issue. You seem to be in disbelief that Rosberg had any issue prior to the lap when he retired? What broadcast were you watching? Overtaking 2 McLarens with Merc is something that everyone expects and it’s nothing there. He didn’t put a finger wrong in race but saying the overtakes on McLaren makes it spectacular is just rubbish.

• StevenG said on 7th July 2014, 8:43

It’s called “SUPERIOR CAR” with LH’s teammate having downshift problems and that is why he made up 6 sec in 2 laps, there is nothing ‘spectacular’ about LH or his making up time or his flying up the grid at the start. The PETRONAS Mercs are faster and a superior car and that is not because of the pilots as the other pilots in the field especially Alonso and Vettel, would make mince meat out of LH and NR with the same power and performance. It’s as simple as that. The race at the start was a 3/10 until the Alonso Vettel duel which made it scrape in at 5/10.

• William Stuart (@williamstuart) said on 6th July 2014, 18:21

Exactly Sebby is a true talent and a great guy too, incredible overtake

• Patrickl (@patrickl) said on 6th July 2014, 20:50

Too bad Vettel was caught napping when Alonso overtook him in the first place. Necessitating Vettel to go through all that trouble taking the place back again. Also it was bad enough he had so much trouble overtaking a car on older tyres and mechanical problems while driving on a fresh set himself.

9. JPW (@gpwa3) said on 6th July 2014, 15:33

The wrong whiner on the top spot. F1 is now officially as boring as NASCAR.

10. Zantkiller (@zantkiller) said on 6th July 2014, 15:34

9/10

Rosberg out might have robbed us of a battle at the front but the battles down the rest of the field were amazing.

11. Eggry (@eggry) said on 6th July 2014, 15:34

It should have been 10 but -1 because of lost battle between Nico-Ham.

12. Max Jacobson (@vettel1) said on 6th July 2014, 15:34

Brilliant!

Shame Rosberg’s car broke down, otherwise we’d have had a brilliant battle for the lead, and the red flag period was frustratingly long, but other than that not really any complaints with respect to entertainment value.

And thank you Alonso and Vettel for the radio and track battle – that was thoroughly entertaining!

13. Girts (@girts) said on 6th July 2014, 15:34

I think this classy race deserves a 9. There were some good passes (particularly by Bottas), nice battles, great comebacks by Alonso and Bottas and a fantastic battle between Alonso and Vettel. What is more, the race result has made the title fight interesting again.

It’s a pity that the strategic battle between Rosberg and Hamilton came to a premature end but otherwise it was a great race.

• StevenG said on 7th July 2014, 9:05

What about Ricciardo? have you missed his outstanding performance of racing on one set of tyres for 36 laps? where were you?

• Girts (@girts) said on 7th July 2014, 10:41

Agreed, that was a fabulous performance and Ricciardo outperformed Vettel again despite starting six places behind. He’s definitely a strong candidate for the driver of the weekend and one of the best drivers of the season so far.

14. Tommy C (@tommy-c) said on 6th July 2014, 15:35

Absolutely loved the battle between Seb and Fernando. Real wheel to wheel stuff. Amazing drive by bottas and I sure didn’t have Ricciardo down for a podium before (or during) the race! That race had just about everything. Gave it a 9. Probably would have been perfect if the battle for the lead wasn’t hampered by Rosberg’s unreliability.

15. James (@spirals) said on 6th July 2014, 15:36

9. That’s all I really want from a race – great wheel-to-wheel action, several teams with similar pace, a couple of young chargers on the podium and some doughnuts.

They don’t need to improve the show, because that was great!

• lee1 said on 6th July 2014, 16:16

Precisely. We don’t need gimmicks we just need good tracks, preferably with spectators too……

1 2 3 6