Jenson Button, McLaren, Silverstone, 2014

Rate the race: 2014 British Grand Prix

2014 British Grand PrixPosted on | Author Keith Collantine

Jenson Button, McLaren, Silverstone, 2014What did you think of today’s race? Share your verdict on the British Grand Prix.

Rate the race out of ten and leave a comment below:

Rate the 2014 British Grand Prix out of ten

• 1 (2%)
  • 2 (0%)
  • 3 (1%)
  • 4 (1%)
  • 5 (3%)
  • 6 (6%)
  • 7 (16%)
  • 8 (38%)
  • 9 (25%)
  • 10 (8%)

Total Voters: 709

Loading ... Loading ...

1 = ‘Terrible’, 10 = ‘Perfect’

You need an F1 Fanatic account to vote. Register an account here or read more about registering here. When this poll is closed the result will be displayed instead of the voting form.

See the results for past seasons here:

2014 British Grand Prix

Browse all 2014 British Grand Prix articles

Image © Daimler/Hoch Zwei

254 comments on “Rate the race: 2014 British Grand Prix”

1. 4/10.

No battle for the lead; the race winner result obvious since one of the two possible competitors retired, useless red flag stoppage that set the race back 1 hour for a trivial reason, was half-asleep during most of it.

Should have been 1/10, but I’m adding a point for Alonso’s early charge and two points for Alonso/Vettel battle.

1. @einariliyev No, just no. I can only guess you closed your eyes when there was no Mercedes on screen?

2. Dave (@raceprouk)
      6th July 2014, 16:35

useless red flag stoppage that set the race back 1 hour for a trivial reason

Good to know you care so little about driver, marshal and spectator safety.

1. @raceprouk I understand the reason for the red flag and a subsequent race stoppage. But it took too long. Even Niki Lauda agrees with me – and the guy almost lost his life in an F1 crash.

A damaged barrier in one tiny stretch of an F1 track is a trivial reason to stop, and then proceed to hold back an F1 race for an hour. The probability of someone hitting that same spot down the straight (it wasn’t a corner-barrier) is about the same as someone’s torsion spring hitting you in the helmet. It would’ve taken a freak accident which tend to happen anyway and cannot be guaranteed against.

I also do not understand the reason why the barrier couldn’t have been fortified instead of repaired – maybe by a tyre wall. It would’ve taken 15 minutes to fortify it, but a full hour to repair.

1. Dave (@raceprouk)
          7th July 2014, 1:00

It doesn’t matter how slim the chance is. The fact is someone hit that barrier. And last year that same barrier was hit in a Trofeo Lamborghini race. That means it had to be repaired for the track to be deemed safe to race on.

Did it take too long? Of course. But that doesn’t make it a trivial matter. If the barrier had been left, then someone hit it and was seriously hurt, then Silverstone could have been potentially liable for failure to exercise sufficient safety precautions.

2. 9 for me; would have been 8, but for ALO/VET battle; would have been 10, if I hadn’t had to listen to VET whining like a schoolgirl.

1. @jonchalk Alonso did his fair share of ‘whining like a schoolgirl’. If you want to mention one doing it, have the balls and respect to mention all doing it. Perez, Button also complained plenty.

1. was great whinging by both of them! but I’d say Vettel’s was more “school-girl” :) Real racing in anger, like the old days.

2. Corrado (@corrado-dub)
        6th July 2014, 16:24

If I’m not wrong, VET started “IT” and by doing that he was asking for a penalty ! By not responding at all to VET, ALO (indirectly) would have admitted he’s at fault… even tho all he did was to do some real racing.

1. Do you have direct line to all the onboard messages to say that?

1. Corrado (@corrado-dub)
            6th July 2014, 16:48

No, but it’s not really needed. VET started to complain 1st because ALO did not gave him enough space (to overtake). ALO was shutting the door when VET thought he passed. Go watch the fight again. So, VET started the complaints fight.

2. Ah, as I suppose, you don’t know.

And watching the fight again won’t give me more onboard messages that the first time.

But don’t lose the opportunity to bash our “beloved” driver

2. @corrado-dub You’re right. Vettel said something about Alonso cutting him off. However about the track extending, the thing what this is all about, Alonso clearly started.

1. @xtwl agreed.

in addition, it’s not like Vettel or Alonso hear what other drivers are saying. Vettel only knew Alonso was complaining about track limits because he was warned about them, and he knew it was coming from Alonso. So he decided to make the same comments back.

Not to mention, we don’t know when the first time Alonso started in on the track limit thing, it could have been the second or third time before the F1 feed director picked up on it.

Also, while both were angry in the race, afterwards, both drivers accepted the humor of their comments and how it came across.

So thanks to Alo and Vet for the epic battle and for their post-race comments – keeping it fair all around. If only we on the forums could do the same :).

3. awesome race, for the right reasons. Some excellent wheel to wheel racing. Alonso once again showed his supreme ability to get the best out of any car and situation. Well done Lewis. Superb whinging from the German who can’t seem to handle not having the stand-out car. Much throwing of toys out the pram :) Great result for Bottas too, well deserved after the bad luck for Felipe. 10/10!

4. 9/10
    Drivers storming through the field, different strategies, extensive battles, mixed up order – only missed a battle for the lead!

5. I gave it an 8.

It was a great race, and it’s a huge shame we never got to see the Rosberg-Hamilton battle develop. It would have been fascinating. We had some good racing throughout the field, with the highlight being the stunning battle between Alonso and Vettel. The footage from that is going to be on every F1 tv intro package and highlight reel for the next decade. I could have done without both parties whining though, maybe there is some merit to removing radio transmissions from the tv broadcast after all!

6. Fantastic race 9 / 10
    * Massive drive from Bottas, A future Champion in the making.
    * Great recovery from Alonso and Bottas
    * One of the greatest fight in modern F1, Alonso and Vettel shows what championship drivers really are.
    * Good victory for Hamilton, Sad for Roseberg, though happy that the championship fight is back.
    * Good Weekend for Tororosso. And an overall great week for Marussia.
    * Little sad for Force India, their Aero Dynamics work is worrying. Hope they will take the fight to big guns next races.
    * McLaren got a good race too. Defending their starting position.

1. *WHAT ABOUT RICCIAROS EFFORT? 36 of the last laps on one set of tyres, oh but then again that is nothing of note.

7. Uzair Syed (@ultimateuzair)
    6th July 2014, 16:11

7/10 because a Brit won, fantastic battle between Alonso and Vettel and because the championship is close again.

1. That’s a bit near the knuckle. You down voted because someone of a particular nationality won? Dodgy ground there mate.

1. We can take it…..

2. Dave (@raceprouk)
        6th July 2014, 18:42

Funny, I don’t see anything saying he downgraded his rating.

1. I was just about to say same thing, how do you suggest he’s downvoting because a Brit won, @f1bobby ?

3. @f1bobby Might have even given it +1 or +2, big assumption on the downgrading, might have upgraded?????

8. Corrado (@corrado-dub)
    6th July 2014, 16:12

Solid 8 from me.

Alonso-Vettel fight was the best bit of this race, but I don’t like at all Vettel’s constant complaint. In my opinion that was like pure racing and haven’t seen something like that in ages. Vettel complaining every lap for not giving space and asking even for a penalty for Alonso is kinda dangerous because if FIA finds that he was “right”… we can say real racing is DEAD.

1. Be careful or PorscheF1’s opinion-police will be all over you for actually having one that he doesn’t agree with ! :

Avatar Image
      PorscheF1 (@xtwl) said on 6th July 2014, 16:03
      ReplyReport user

1. @jonchalk Opinion? What opinion? A fact is not an opinion! It’s not like I don’t agree Hamilton won today…

You clearly mentioned one driver moaning while both were doing it. I pointed that out and now I’m the opinion-police?

2. Both of them were complaining in every lap, why do you blame only VET?

1. heh @jonchalk, how true :)

2. and actually if you were really listening/watching you’d have seen/heard Vettel bitching alot more than Alonso. I bet the radio transcripts will attest to this. :)

1. Radio transcript won’t tell anything because the FIA don’t put all the messages.

And if you actually were really listening, the fact is that both of them were whining almost in all the laps not only Vettel as the OP was implying.

1. nonsense, what we heard was alot more from vettel. :)

2. Alonsos complaints didn’t matter because they were true !

Substitute Vettel for Alonso if you are a Vettel fan.

2. Both drivers complained about each other and that’s that. I think it’s quite useless to see who complained more and who complained less.
          Seriously, we have just seen one of the most thrilling battles of the last few years and we are here arguing about who complained more over the radio?

1. i’m not arguing, just winding up @oletros & @xtwl while discussing with some like-minded racing fans what was, as you say, a most thrilling race :)

2. @bsnaylor (@jonchalk) I’m not saying either did more, I’m saying both did it. If you complain about a driver moaning whilst both did it complain about both of them and not just the on you dislike. I too thought it was a great race nontheless.

3. @xtwf, both complained, both left the track, good racing and no point penalising both of them was I imagine the stewards POV.

3. I actually blame the race-stewarding of recent years. It is now a must for drivers to do this, a part of their job. Which is a shame.

1. At least you don’t see F1 drivers diving like on a World Cup football pitch. I think that trash talk is more for team motivation than for the stewards attention. The stewards are watching, and they can see more than the drivers can these days. I for one was amused.
          Actually, I think that tennis players should be miked up for the big matches too. All that muttering gone to waste.

3. Did you miss the part where Alo was doing the exact same thing? This is how the sport is played, you cannot expect people going inches from eachother at 200mph to keep a completely clear and rational head.

1. They had a clear and rational head. Constantly complaining about any possible rule-infringement by others is a part of doing everything possible to finish in the best position, so as long as the stewards listen to that and can at times be activated by that, a driver just has to complain.
        And yes, I do very much agree it sounds awful and takes a feeling of epicness away as you watch that battle and have to listen to this. The way to change it would be stewards only listening into team-radio once they have started investigating.

9. I’ve given it a six. This may require some explaining.

There were some absolutely fantastic battles up and down the field, notably between two drivers that share six World Championships between them, and there were some very good strategy calls made today.

However, we were denied any sort of battle for the race lead due to Mercedes’ gearboxes, and we had a very long delay in which I did honestly get quite bored. It’s a fantastic result from a British perspective, yes, but from a purist point of view it was a pretty mediocre race.

10. Loved it. 9/10.

Impressed with Massa’s skilful, avoidance tactics after Kimi went off. One (well known) person interviewed after the race said Massa “locked up”. Beg to differ. It looked like he deliberately wrenched the car sideways to avoid t-boning Kimi’s car; imho it was skill and quick reactions, not an error. Comments made by knowledgable people, immediately after the incident, support that opinion.

Bottas and Alonso: just wonderful racing. I’d be hard pushed to say which of the two deserves best driver of the day award.

Many overtaking moves, some wheel-to-wheel racing, lots of drama. Vettel showed he really can mix it when required. His wheel-to-wheel battle with Alonso was very impressive. Allegations of going off track limits (made via radio) pure, comedy gold. Loved watching this race and I’m delighted to see F1 can still deliver the excitement.

1. hear hear, respect to Felipe for fast reactions. The on board shot shows just how close he was when the Ferrari appeared in his view. I doubt anyone other than an F1 driver could have reacted so quickly. A tenth of a delay and he would have t-boned Raikkonen, and i don’t want to even consider what that may have caused.

2. I agree, what a quick and fully committed move by Massa. If the tires were hotter he might have even avoided Raikonnen. I imagine that Massa doesn’t have enough Finnish fans, so I hope that they noticed!

11. Fight between Vettel and Alonso, in my opinion, was highlight of the race. They fought for every milimetre of the track, the duel was just titanic. Pity, drivers couldn’t avoid whining, because they’re such great drivers and should put their energy into racing.

1. it shows how much they really care, and I don’t think either of them could have put MORE energy into that race! it was titanic. I’d happily have that in return for real wheel to wheel racing like that every round.

12. 8/10

This was a proper Grand Prix, action, suspense, a Ferrari finally able to challenge the cars around it, my favourite driver having one of the best scraps this year, a British driver winning on British soil, a driver challenging the stupid Santander trophies.

Just wow!

13. Who voted one-out-of-ten?! :roll eyes:

14. 8/10. The first half was thoroughly entertaining, but it’s a shame we were denied a HAM/ROS battle, which seemed to be shaping up so well. Still, the second half was enjoyable lower down the order, especially with the epic battle between Vettel and Alonso, despite the fact it was more a dob-fight than a dogfight… and that’s probably my only criticism. The FIA have made real progress by making the stewarding softer on collisions – I was getting sick of hearing drivers complaining to Charlie over the slightest of bumps. But now that the FIA have tightened up rules on track limits, we’re hearing even more drivers grassing on each other. This blame culture really needs to be sorted out before F1 becomes like football.

15. For me it was a brillian race. A bit dull to start off but then seeing Lewis fight back after a bad pitstop and gaining ground was excellent to watch but, the cherry on the cake was the ALO-VET fight. The only turn off was the whining but VET ultimately seemed to be the bigger “lady” of the two complaining about the hard fight put up by ALO who was on older tyres and a slightly inferior car. EPIC stuff nonetheless!

16. Good win for Lewis. Fantastic job by Bottas in the Williams. Not a podium given on a plate, but fought for and won. Good drive by Ricciardo and Button made the top slots all well deserved. Shame about Rosburg but thats racing and it makes the season more interesing. But the fight just behind between Alonso and Vettel was spectacular. Real wheel to wheel racing. This is what its all about. Not the “I’ve got pole and wlll lead a procession for 2 hours til we can all go home” kind of day at all. Loved it. Well done Silverstone, the teams, the stewards, the marshalls, and most importantly this weekend…… the weather.

17. 8/10 even though I accidentally hit 7

1. Nice watching Bottas and Alonso work their way through the field. mores the pity we also didn’t see Kimi and Massa. probably would have been a 10/10

2. That’s ok. I hit 8 even though I thought it was 7/10. We evened it out.

18. Just read this in BBC: “It’s all crazy,” Lauda said. “To stop the race for one hour because one of the barriers is damaged is ridiculous.” But if it hadn’t been fixed and one of his drivers had inadvertently been injured at the same place he would be the first to shout about unsafe practices and the fence should have been repiared. I wonder sometimes how these people think. In F1 it’s “Safety First” above all, and Lauda ought to be one of the more outspoken supporters of that, he’s been a victim. Unbelievable…

1. Dave (@raceprouk)
      6th July 2014, 18:44

He may have meant it was crazy it took an hour to fix it

1. Exactly. I think that there should be a barrier repair crew at every track that is drilled like a proper pit crew. I bet if this happens next year that it will only take half as long to fix. on the other hand, I bet they sold enough beer in that hour to pay for a mile of Armco.

1. Dave (@raceprouk)
          6th July 2014, 22:55

The odd thing is that last year, that barrier was damaged in a Trofeo Lamborghini race. That should have been enough of a trigger to improve the barrier and/or repair procedures.

19. 8/10. Really good race but imagine if Rosberg had carried on – could have had an absolutely epic fight for the lead that could have made it a 9 or 10. Great watch though.

20. Many people voted Canada a 10, but here there were more overtakes, more people racing, and there was something happening on every lap, unlike Canada.

Fantastic race, 10/10.