Rate the race: 2014 British Grand Prix

2014 British Grand Prix

Jenson Button, McLaren, Silverstone, 2014What did you think of today’s race? Share your verdict on the British Grand Prix.

Rate the race out of ten and leave a comment below:

Rate the 2014 British Grand Prix out of ten

• 1 (2%)
  • 2 (0%)
  • 3 (1%)
  • 4 (1%)
  • 5 (3%)
  • 6 (6%)
  • 7 (16%)
  • 8 (38%)
  • 9 (25%)
  • 10 (8%)

Total Voters: 709

Loading ... Loading ...

1 = ‘Terrible’, 10 = ‘Perfect’

You need an F1 Fanatic account to vote. Register an account here or read more about registering here. When this poll is closed the result will be displayed instead of the voting form.

See the results for past seasons here:

2014 British Grand Prix

Browse all 2014 British Grand Prix articles

Image © Daimler/Hoch Zwei

254 comments on Rate the race: 2014 British Grand Prix

1. Broke84 (@broke84) said on 6th July 2014, 18:36

I gave this a 10 today, I’ve been careful so far giving 8’s and 9’s waiting for the 10 that may never come, but thinking about it this season has been epic, I don’t enjoy one team being so much above the rest but it is nice to see it being more than one driver. The 10 comes from Alonso’s moves, Bottas’ progress, Hamilton’s victory and Eddie arguing with Lauda.

2. Good battles behind P1, mostly because Rosberg retired. Good close driving, stewards of the race not interfering. Whining on the radio (FIA should introduce a radio ban if you whine too much :)) Hamilton ridiculing the trophies by a never to be named again bank.

Good for the championship too.

9/10

3. Diceman (@diceman) said on 6th July 2014, 19:07

I find it strange how many people here seem to be over excited about the race, as I think it was one of the worst races of the season so far. Well maybe I should re-watch it tomorrow when I’m a bit less tired.

4. Adam Last said on 6th July 2014, 19:20

8/10 Very interesting. Gutted for all the drivers who didn’t see the end, especially RAI and MAS.

5. Slava (@slava) said on 6th July 2014, 19:20

Wow, Alonso was incredible. All those troubles with the car, older tyres and yet, he defended so well. He is incredible racer.
    Shame for Kimi. His start was thrilling: so many overtakes until that wall. Alonso should learn from his team-mate how you need to start nowadays from his team-mate.
    Bottas is starting to impress me. But let’s see what happens in the next races. If he can keep his sturdy fight – yeah, he learned something.
    8/10

6. Chris (@cgturbo) said on 6th July 2014, 19:21

9/10

4/4 : Qualifying – Fantastic, dramatic and unpredictable qualifying.
    5/6 : Race – Would have been a 4, but the VETvALO battle +1. Might have been another +1 had Rosberg been battling with Hamilton, regardless of the outcome.

7. iAltair (@ialtair) said on 6th July 2014, 19:26

8/10

Highlight of the race definitely goes to VET-ALO battle. Those wheel-to-wheel racing is what F1 needs right now.

Be it Alonso or Vettel got that track position ultimately, both of them put up a good fight. The one who got in front ultimately won, but the one who lost the place was a big loser as well. At least he made the one overtaking him worked real hard for it.

Putting their differences aside, and the radio (which most drivers would try to whine to get ahead for track positions) it’s just perfect. The best to it was that, after the race both Vet and Alo just laugh it off at their whines and on track actions. Well, there will be a heated moment during the race when cars were so close.

8. Steven Smith (@ragwort) said on 6th July 2014, 19:39

I don’t know how well the tv coverage showed the race. But as a spectator, it was one of the best British GP’s I have been to. The support for not only Hamilton. But for Button and Chilton was fantastic.
    The Kimi crash delay just heightened the expectation of the crowd.
    Bottas was brilliant. The battle between Vettel and Alonso was brilliant too. Involving Magnusson too for a number of laps.
    There were battles all the way through the field. A cracking race.

• G Breese (@breesegp) said on 6th July 2014, 21:22

@ragwort I was there too, the atmosphere was truly incredible! Every time a British driver came past everyone cheered, whether it was hamilton or chilton!

• Eric Morman (@lethalnz) said on 7th July 2014, 2:11

considering you guys were there with all the moaning about sound and speed what are your thoughts on these???
        just asking, thanks in advance…

• DaveD (@daved) said on 7th July 2014, 4:57

@ragwort @breesegp
          Like, @lethalnz, I would love to get your impression of the sound of the engines as you were personally at the race! If you would share your impressions of the engine noise level and whether it affected the “show” would be very much appreciated.

Thanks!

• DaveD (@daved) said on 7th July 2014, 17:15

@ragwort @breesegp

Thanks very much for the feedback! I was going to Canada but got sidetracked when we sold off part of the company and I was a little “busy” that weekend prepping. Hopefully nothing will interrupt my plans to be in Austin so I can see/hear for myself :)

• Steven Smith (@ragwort) said on 7th July 2014, 6:44

The noise is just not the same. I was at the Austrian GP too. So have heard them for a total of five days now. The GP2 cars, AND the GP3 cars are both louder than the F1 cars. The Porsche Supercup also!
          Ear defenders are not essential more. You can hear a lot of the race commentary over the speaker systems. Or with a radio and headphones you can hear all of the commentary. F1 has definitely lost something. It was well proven during the lunchtime display when Alain Prost drove last years Red Bull.

• G Breese (@breesegp) said on 7th July 2014, 10:26

I certainly heard a lot of people around me complaining about the noise, however the quality if the racing was such that I didn’t really find myself minding. I liked being able to actually hear the commentary at the track, and so while the old noise was great, the new noise is good too, for me it didn’t really affect the show.

9. Velocityboy (@velocityboy) said on 6th July 2014, 20:01

Better than average, I gave it a 7. If not for the good work of the producer showing the battles throughout the field it would have been another snooze. I have to wonder what scale some people are using rating this higher than a 6 or 7 considering some of the races we’ve had in the past. I haven’t been on the edge of my seat for years when watching an F1 race or come away thinking I’ve seen something that people will talk about for years.

• Corrado (@corrado-dub) said on 6th July 2014, 20:55

What do you expect from an F1 race to give more than 7, to see battles like that between ALO-VET all over the field ?!? Come on, that’s impossible. Not even half the field can “handle” such battle. Do you see Massa/Magnussen/Perez/Grosjean/Bottas carry a fight like that over the same amount of laps ?!? I hardly believe that. Look how ended Massa’s attempt to pass Perez 2 races ago. ALO and VET fought wheel to wheel for quite some laps w/o a single touch. Then, let’s be honest, even back in the 80s and 90s, many races were pretty boring and the distances between the drivers were more ridiculous, like the first 5-6 drivers finishing in the same lap.

• Velocityboy (@velocityboy) said on 7th July 2014, 1:29

So you’re giving the entire race a high score because of one battle between two drivers that lasted about 6 laps? Again, what scale are you using? If this race rates above a 6 or 7, what do you give to the 2005 Japanese GP, the 1988 Japanese GP, the 2008 Brazilian GP etc etc?

• StevenG said on 7th July 2014, 9:29

So right “Velocityboy” I truly agree with you as I’ve been watching F1 since the mid 60’s but people forget or just don’t know or read or see the F1 archives.

10. ferrox glideh (@ferrox-glideh) said on 6th July 2014, 20:16

Nine out of ten, for a great drive by Bottas, an exciting duel between Alonso and Vettel, and a feel-good story for Hamilton. All that, and Nobody Was Killed! Seriously, a 47G impact and all that debris… it could have been a real tragedy. Thankfully it was merely a great race.

11. Ron (@rcorporon) said on 6th July 2014, 20:44

8/10 for me… would have been better if Ham didn’t have a 45 second lead but the passing was great.

12. trigger (@trigger) said on 6th July 2014, 21:39

7/10
    It was a great race and it seemed like a great qly.
    But the reason im not scoring it higher is because qly really seems a waste of time now. Faster cars get throught he field way to quick nowadays.
    i.e Bottas and Alonso

Gone are the days of Enrique Bernoldi holding up Couthard. Its simply too easy with DRS , and for me this lessens THE SHOW

13. SauberS1 (@saubers1) said on 6th July 2014, 23:18

I rated 10/10. My favourite driver and team have not been got good results, otherwise I think this was a very exciting race.

14. Jack said on 6th July 2014, 23:41

Gave it 9/10, was a very interesting race but disappointed with the long delay and the penalty for Alonso, he clearly gained nothing from the start and infact went backwards so i dont know why the FIA punished him. Also glad to see Kimi is ok and Gutierrez didnt make Maldonado barrel role

15. philprojectd (@philprojectd) said on 7th July 2014, 1:38

Definitely an 8/10. Great race overall. Lots of great overtakes, Vettel and Alonso battle was golden, Bottas proved once
    again that he is one hell of a wheel-to-wheel racer. Things keeping it from being a 10: 1-hr red flag period and the
    lack of a true Rosberg vs. Hamilton battle that was surely going to be a cracker.
    I’m starting to have serious doubts regarding the abilities of Kimi Raikkonen these past few GP’s. As soon as I saw a red lump of Ferrari debris flying across the track I instantly thought Raikkonen. Alonso didn’t even come to mind.

• Corrado (@corrado-dub) said on 7th July 2014, 5:24

I agree, RAI performance this year makes some of us wonder about his racecraft. Dunno, maybe he started to “lose it” too, but the car is problematic for sure. In the corner prior to the accident, the car snapped twice, the 2nd one making him go off-track (which resulted with an accident). So, the car is problematic indeed and to a certain degree I understand his lack of competitivity compared to ALO.

16. Michael said on 7th July 2014, 2:28

I guess that there are two sets of rules in Charlie’s world – one for Vettel, one for the rest. How many times did Vettel have all four off the track?!!!!

17. Neil (@neilosjames) said on 7th July 2014, 4:06

Gave it a 9 – one of the best battles I’ve seen in a long time between Alonso and Vettel, Bottas putting in a beautiful drive and plenty of action wherever you looked.

Shame we lost the chance to see Hamilton v Rosberg, but the rest made up for it.

18. Darren Danga said on 7th July 2014, 12:25

Will NR incur grid penalty if gearbox gets changed?

19. PJA (@pja) said on 9th July 2014, 19:51

I thought it was a great race, there seemed to be plenty of action throughout the race

Firstly with the mixed up grid due to the weather on Saturday there was quite a few drivers out of position so we got to see them make their way through the field.

Then we had Hamilton closing in on Rosberg and I was expecting a good battle for the lead, sadly we didn’t get that due to Rosberg’s retirement but I think this result is the best for the championship as it closes it back up.

Without Rosberg’s retirement I think there could have been an entertaining fight between the two Mercedes drivers, Hamilton had the pace to catch him but whether he could have got past is always a different story but I thought he would manage it and expected the crowd reaction to be like Mansell overtaking Piquet in 1987.

I loved the battle between Alonso and Vettel and I was laughing at the radio comments from them as it seemed every lap one one of them was complaining about the other one, hoping that a penalty would be handed out.

I wasn’t sure whether to rate the race an 8 or 9 as 9 seemed slightly too generous, but it felt like an 8.5 and I normally round up those type of scores so gave it a 9 in the end.