Christijan Albers, who took over as Caterham’s team principal following the sale of the team last week, said Berthon is “an exciting young talent with a proven track record in the feeder series for F1″.
“As he already has F1 experience he fits very neatly into our team,” Albers continued. “We will work closely with him to help him reach his full potential and are all excited about seeing him continue to grow as a driver, in and out of the cockpit.”
The 25-year-old Frenchman is currently in his third season of GP2, driving for Venezuela GP Lazarus.
Another of Caterham’s junior drivers, Will Stevens, has been testing for them today at Silverstone. Two of Berthon’s GP2 rivals, Julian Leal and Rio Haryanto, will drive for the team tomorrow.
In addition to them Caterham has already run Robin Frijns and Alexander Rossi in Formula One practice sessions this year.
2014 F1 season
- Bianchi’s fight for life ends nine months after Japanese Grand Prix crash
- Mercedes’ Bahrain battle “too dangerous” – Warwick
- Streiff’s comments on Bianchi crash investigation prompts legal action from FIA
- Is stewarding improving? Analysing 2014’s penalties
- The Complete F1 Fanatic 2014 season review
Browse all 2014 F1 season articles
Image © HRT