Rosberg is “not really German” – Hamilton

F1 Fanatic Round-up

Lewis Hamilton, Nico Rosberg, Mercedes, Red Bull Ring, 2014In the round-up: Lewis Hamilton says the upcoming German Grand Prix is not a true home race for team mate Nico Rosberg.

Links

Your daily digest of F1 news, views, features and more.

Hamilton: Rosberg is not German (The Guardian)

“He never stood by a German flag. He is German-Finnish-Monaco-esque, or whatever.”

FIA made right calls on Vettel/Alonso fight, says Horner (Adam Cooper’s F1 Blog)

“Charlie [Whiting] pointed out a couple of times track limits to Seb, and Alonso got a warning flag, which was for track limits. The problem is when you’ve got run-off like that, and it’s quicker, drivers are going to want to abuse it.”

Williams surprised by pace (Sky)

Rob Smedley: “My opinion of him is growing week by week. I think he’s a very, very good driver and he can become an exceptional driver. We’re lucky to have him.”

Massa wants crackdown on Merc’s formation laps (ESPN)

“The FIA say we can’t go so slow but they didn’t do anything or penalise anyone. I think if they penalise one car for that by giving them a five grid penalty for the next race, everything will change.”

Lauda critical of Raikkonen’s driving (Autosport)

“He went wide, so why does he come in balls out and then crash? Hopefully nothing happened [to hurt him], but it was unnecessary.”

France pursues Swiss firm over alleged theft of Schumacher’s medical records (The Telegraph)

“The email offers were signed off with the name Kagemusha – a Japanese term translated literally as ‘Shadow Warrior’ and the title of a 1980 film about a petty thief who stands in for a wounded samurai warlord. More recently the emails were signed off ‘Jeremy Martin’.”

Change underway at Ferrari, says Mattiacci (Reuters)

“Starting from here we need to prepare a different team for 2015. Do we need to do an announcement? No. Do we need to improve? Continuous improvement, yes. That is our position.”

Why Formula One Doesn’t Need To Change Its Social Media Strategy (Forbes)

“Very few if any other sports give as much access to the media and literally let them sit next to the superstar athletes as they relax and discuss the day’s events with their bosses in their locker rooms. F1 fans don’t have this luxury but social media does.”

Tweets

Comment of the day

Adam takes issue with Niki Lauda’s view that the barrier Raikkonen hit didn’t need replacing but it was unlikely to be hit a second time.

As unlikely as it is for someone else to crash there, the chance cannot be taken. One hour of waiting (and Silverstone making tons of money off of extra beers being sold) is well worth helping to ensure the safety of both the drivers and the marshals. Just look at the BTCC at Thruxton this year, that could have been really ugly, especially the driver (I forget who it was) that used the damaged barrier to launch into the air.

An argument could be made for speeding up the marshals by having them practice replacing elements off the barriers, but who knows how hard it was to disassemble the damaged guardrail.

There is a reason F1 hasn’t had a fatality during a grand prix weekend since 1994, and that is because the FIA do a good job monitoring all of the minor details when it comes to safety. There isn’t much the FIA do right, but safety is certainly one of the few things they have right.

Except for the excessive asphalt run-off areas. If there was a gravel trap there, the accident wouldn’t have happened the way it did. And drivers would not complain about track limits as much either.
Adam Blocker (@Blockwall2)

From the forum

Happy birthday!

Happy birthday to Ev!

If you want a birthday shout-out tell us when yours is via the contact form or adding to the list here.

On this day in F1

F1′s only race around the streets of Dallas was held 30 years ago today. In brutal heat the track fell to pieces, and Keke Rosberg emerged on top of a three-way scrap with Nigel Mansell and Alain Prost to give Williams their only win of the season, and their first with Honda power.

Mansell’s gearbox failed him just metres from the finishing line. He tried to push his Lotus across the line, but collapsed in the heat. He was classified sixth, three laps down, scoring one point.

Image © Daimler/Hoch Zwei

205 comments on Rosberg is “not really German” – Hamilton

1. Mark in Florida said on 8th July 2014, 2:42

Hamilton just can’t keep his estrogen levels under control. Apparently post race pms kicked in and subverted the male portion of his brain. Lewis is a talented driver with a untalented mouth. He can’t drive without some kind of drama going on to motivate himself. The only thing is Nico won’t give him any so he has to invent it himself. How pathetic…

2. OmarR-Pepper (@omarr-pepper) said on 8th July 2014, 2:47

Nico AKA “no land’s man”

3. Bruce said on 8th July 2014, 2:53

So far, I like this Mattiacci guy at Ferrari. He is saying and (hopefully) doing the right things. Baby steps and continual improvement. They are in bad form by Ferrari standards, but Alonso is a heck of a driver and the car is, at least in his hands, a top 10 car. If Mattiacci can manage things right (and he is a good manager), they will be closer to the top in the coming years. He is assembling a good team around him, and if Alonso sticks around, they could be a force to be reckoned with.

4. I agree with Massa that the formation laps that Mercedes lead are often incredibly slow, but saying that is it not the following drivers responsibility to leave enough room to do his burn-outs? I noticed that at the safety car restart Rosberg backed the pack up and then bolted while others were trying not to hit each other. I do feel that there should be some kind of delta the drivers should have to drive to on the formation laps that way everyone following would know how fast the can or can’t go and also it would help them all keep the distance they need for rear tyre warming.

It’s a while since Massa has been that far back on the grid and I’m certain I’ve seen the back markers have this problem in the past, but no-one listens to them.
    My answer would be to lead the formation with the safety car and stick to the 10 car lengths as maximum gap. Then the pace is determined for them.
    Simples!
    Shame that word is missing from the FIA dictionary, along with common sense and decisive!

• AldoH said on 8th July 2014, 4:32

Spot on.

• Keith Campbell (@keithedin) said on 8th July 2014, 8:47

A time delta or safety car sounds like a good idea to me. Although i was also thinking, does the 10 car lengths rule apply during the formation lap? Because if not, the cars at the back could simply wait another 30 seconds before setting off, then drive the formation lap at their own speed. Of course, this would make it 10 times worse for those at the front as they sit waiting for the grid to form, but i was just wondering if there was a rule in place.

5. jpowell (@jpowell) said on 8th July 2014, 4:35

I would love to see my good friend Nico win his home event.I have entered him in The 1000 lakes. Regards Lewis

6. GeeMac (@geemac) said on 8th July 2014, 6:16

I would be interested in hearing what question Hamilton was asked to elicit that response because it was probably pretty loaded, but I don’t suppose we ever will. The question of Nico’s nationality is an interesting one, and it is something I have often thought about. I was an expat kid and I’m living as an expat in the Middle East now, but nothing changes the fact that I claim and identify most with the nationality of my birth, but that doesn’t mean I don’t have a soft spot for the nation I was raised in. I can see why Nico chose to race under the German banner, it is probably the one he most identifies with, even though he did at times call Monaco his “home” race this season. The world is a small place now, things like nationality are no longer as clear cut. Nico pinned his colours to a mast, so we should respect that.

Oh, and I can’t not say: Another week, another “We know how what our problems are and we know how to fix them” article from Ferrari. :)

• BasCB (@bascb) said on 8th July 2014, 7:08

I agree on that one @geemac

Nico pinned his colours to a mast, so we should respect that.

Interesting to learn that even Keke was not all that clearly finnish (comment above about his Swedish decent).
      Yeah, Ferrari. Believe it when they really show it on track.

• Nick (@npf1) said on 8th July 2014, 7:34

Interesting that the question being asked is under scrutiny with drivers, but hardly ever with teams. I’ve noticed this about McLaren and Red Bull too; it’s not as if they come storming in to the press office, yell loudly about solving their issues, then fly off like a bat in the night. Probably all that reporters are asking *any team that’s not Mercedes* right now is ‘why aren’t you beating Mercedes’.

• GeeMac (@geemac) said on 8th July 2014, 10:50

@npf1 True, I was just following a comment I made last week about the constant stream of Ferrari articles which follow that theme. Every time Ferrari answer question about their performance they give the same answer and it is getting a bit tedious. Mattiachi isn’t to blame, the press are I suppose for constantly asking the same questions. I do like his style, he is more Todt than Domenicalli when dealing with the press, which is probably what the Scuderia need at the moment.

• Total Precall said on 8th July 2014, 8:18

From the Telegraph:

“The Briton then could not resist offering a slight dig at Rosberg when asked if winning at the German’s home race, in Hockenheim in less than two weeks’ time, would have any extra significance.”

So presumably, the question was something along the lines of “Would winning Nico Rosberg’s home race in Hockenheim have any extra significance to you?”

• GeeMac (@geemac) said on 8th July 2014, 10:51

Thanks for that.

• Robbie (@robbie) said on 8th July 2014, 12:28

I think that it doesn’t or shouldn’t matter how the question is asked. These guys should know by now a baited question vs a more genuine one, and either way there are diplomatic answers and there are petty ones. They don’t have to take the bait and can always take the high road.

Anyway it should be neither here nor there. I’ve always loved JV’s answer (btw, raced as and has always claimed to be Canadian in spite of living in Monaco from about the age of 7 and going to school in Switzerland, and being Multi-lingual)…when asked to JV if he would get an extra boost from racing in front of his home crowd in Montreal he simply said ‘no…that would mean I wasn’t trying 100% at all the other tracks.’

7. BasCB (@bascb) said on 8th July 2014, 7:04

I don’t agree with Horner too often, but this is very accurate:

• dragoll (@dragoll) said on 8th July 2014, 10:21

@bascb I tend to agree with Horner a fair bit, because I’ve found him to tell it from his point of view, ALL THE TIME, so I know exactly what his motives are. This really isn’t different than Ferrari, although Ferrari do pretend to say things for the good of the entire series, when it really only benefits them.
      However, back on topic, I also agree with the above comment whole heartedly, I think grass is often under utilised.

8. wsrgo (@wsrgo) said on 8th July 2014, 7:10

Lewis is as Monegasque/Swiss as Nico is. In fact, he’s probably more Grenadine than British, but eh…
    Grosjean used to be Swiss too, and in GP2, Marciello could have been Swiss, Leal could have been Italian, and Cecotto could have been German.
    Either way, Rosberg is essentially Swedish, if we’re condisering ethnic origins.

• Mike Dee (@mike-dee) said on 8th July 2014, 7:54

Isn’t his mother German? He also never learnt Finnish, so I think this is why he probably identifies most as German. And I don’t think he is Monegasque – not so easy to get citizenship there.

• matt90 (@matt90) said on 8th July 2014, 11:48

he’s probably more Grenadine than British

You’re getting into dangerous territory saying things like that (and not least because half of his ancestry is white British). I’m sure their are plenty of people in the UK born to immigrant parents or grandparents who, much though they appreciate their foreign heritage, would see the marginalisation of their Britishness as quite offensive. What matters should be more down to where he was born and raised.

9. Girts (@girts) said on 8th July 2014, 7:33

Rosberg is not German

So what?

We do not live in stone age anymore, people often move from one country to another. Juan Manuel Fangio’s parents came from Italy. Adrian Sutil’s father is an Uruguayan. Alex Yoong’s mother comes from the UK. Romain Grosjean was born in Switzerland and now represents France. After all, Hamilton’s grandparents also come from Grenada, not the UK. These are just a few examples.

Moreover, I am not German, do not have German relatives and have never lived in Germany. Still, I love the country and would not mind representing it in any competition. Surely, Rosberg has more reasons to be proud of Germany.

• Timothy Katz (@timothykatz) said on 8th July 2014, 8:31

Is it time to abandon national anthems at the end of the Grands Prix?
      It seems a little silly to have an anthem played (particularly for the constructor) that has little or no relation to the place where the car was actually designed, made or operated; viz Red Bull.
      With international sponsors appearing on virtually every car and overall, there seems little point in ceremonially tying the team or driver to a particular territory.

• Girts (@girts) said on 8th July 2014, 9:08

@TimothyKatz I have thought about that as well. Totally agree about anthem for constructor, that should be scrapped. Drivers should be allowed to pick their favourite song instead of being forced to listen to the national anthem. Imagine Massa winning a race and then standing on the podium, while something like “…rise like a phoenix, out of the ashes, seeking rather than vengeance retribution…” is played. OK, that is probably just my wild imagination but I still feel we do not need national anthems in F1 anymore.

• Anjistho Basu (@roxtarisback) said on 8th July 2014, 9:57

Hilarious. But someone, let’s say Mr. Lewis . . . no no, let’s just say Mr. H. Now this Mr. H started on pole, and wanted to play some version of “I came, I saw, I conquered” after his win. Then on the last lap, he runs wide and another dude, say Mr. R, beats him to the win. Will Mr. H still play ” . . . conquered”?

• Sven (@crammond) said on 8th July 2014, 9:49

Is it time to abandon national anthems at the end of the Grands Prix?

• BasCB (@bascb) said on 8th July 2014, 10:44

Is it time to abandon national anthems at the end of the Grands Prix?

No. The drivers still represent their country as well as their teams and themselves in sports @peterbaldwin

Just for comparison, I saw a nice image of the Swiss football team showing who would be welcome in the country if they took on the new anti-immigration laws there (i.e. showing only multi generation Swiss born) and it had only 3-4 players.
        And look at other countries as well in many sports (Russia complained about Russians contesting for other countries “taking away” medals from Russia in Sochi), its long been pretty normal to “adopt” sporters for national teams.

If Marussia can be Russian, Mercedes can be German, Caterham can be Malaysian without regards to where the team is based, why would we limit a driver to where he currently lives (suddenly the Swiss and Mongasque sports teams would get a big boost) or to where his parents came from (Rosberg has one Swede from Finland and a German mother but lives mostly in Monaco, compare Hamilton having one from the UK and one from Grenada but he lives in Monaco too).

• BasCB (@bascb) said on 8th July 2014, 10:45

sorry, @peterbaldwin, I had wanted to include @timothykatz

• Sven (@crammond) said on 8th July 2014, 13:35

The drivers still represent their country

Do they? They are random individuals, not chosen by their country and most of them have not chosen the respective country. I´m not entirely sure how many of the drivers would actually choose to have a nations flag shown as a symbol besides their name or a national anthem played on their wins if they weren´t made to.

• BasCB (@bascb) said on 8th July 2014, 14:34

Well, sure enough Rosberg has chosen his country (Germany), Grosjean did the same (choosing French over Swiss), I am pretty sure that goes for others as well.

Its not too usual for race driver to do so, but in other sports it far from uncommon to naturalize a player/athlete to have them defend the national team or compete for medals for a country.

• matt90 (@matt90) said on 14th July 2014, 13:17

I’m not entirely sure how many of the drivers would actually choose to have a nations flag shown as a symbol besides their name or a national anthem played on their wins if they weren’t made to.

Most I would guess.

• Timothy Katz (@timothykatz) said on 8th July 2014, 22:02

@bascb. I don’t think Caterham can be Malaysian, or Red Bull Austrian, or Maclaren half-AbuDhabi-ish (or whatever the owners are). They are international teams composed of a multitude of nationalities. Saying they are French or Italian or Russian ignores those facts and only recognises where the money comes from that pays for their existence.
          In days gone by, British teams raced in British Racing green, Italian teams raced in red and the French in blue etc. But that finally disappeared in the sixties and I think it’s time we abandoned the idea of pretend national domicile for teams as well.
          Turning to the drivers, the only reason that a nationality was chosen was to get the most advantageous FIA license. Let’s look at how other professional, individual sports present their stars; golf makes no reference to a winners nationality at the end of a tournament, nor does tennis. In these multi-million dollar sports, the appeal of the player goes beyond national borders and local allegiance and reaches out to a real worldwide loyalty – via the companies that sponsor them. So should it be in F1; concentrate on the player and their achievements, forget their nationality.

• The Abbinator (@abbinator) said on 9th July 2014, 1:11

Couldn’t have said it better myself. Djokovic is mentioned as being Serbian, but they don’t drape him in the flag and play the anthem at the end of Wimbledon. Nationalism is a bit ugly and outdated in the 21st century, much like religious affiliation.

• The Abbinator (@abbinator) said on 9th July 2014, 1:12

Or race for that matter…

10. Jason (@jason12) said on 8th July 2014, 8:05

Take it yeezy with the Gold Trophy there Lewis….. :D

11. Klaas (@klaas) said on 8th July 2014, 8:15

Hamilton’s obsession with Nico is becoming disgusting…each week he has to take a dig on him…he lived in riches, F1 was granted for him, Germany is not his home race etc.
    The most entitled to say wether it’s his home race or not is Rosberg as he’s the only one who knows how he feels in Germany.
    I used to support Lewis in this year title fight but after reading all this weekly cr*p, not anymore. If he continues giving interviews like that, expect Vettel-esque booings on the podium by the end of the season, no matter how brilliant he drives.
    P.S Under which flag do you stand when you pay your taxes Lewis?

12. Jason (@jason12) said on 8th July 2014, 8:15

Clearly Nico is not German.
    But why point out the obvious?
    But then again why not?

13. Dan said on 8th July 2014, 8:52

The naivety of F1 Fanatic posters about the way journalism works never ceases to amaze me. A fuller version of Hamilton’s comments, reported by Ian Parkes of the UK’s Press Association can be found at, of all places, the Mail website.

• Robbie (@robbie) said on 8th July 2014, 12:43

The quotes are the quotes no matter the spin the author wants to put on them, and no matter whether questions are baited or not it is up to the one being asked, how to answer. It’s a bit surprising to me LH would want to try to shade NR’s nationality when he too is driving for a German team that can enjoy some extra marketability with Nico at the next race. It’s not just Nico that should be busier media-wise next week, like LH says he was ahead of Silverstone, it is the whole team which LH is a part of that will be front and center particularly in Germany.

14. tonyyeb (@tonyyeb) said on 8th July 2014, 9:08

Funny how Horner takes this kind of stance when his driver comes out on top. If it had been the other way around his tune would be different.

15. SoLiDG (@solidg) said on 8th July 2014, 9:17

I get what he’s saying but, how many bad accidents would we have had if the run-off areas where gravel traps.. much more than we have had in recent history, so is it bad to have them? I don’t think so, safety first.
    It was Kimi who rejoined the track after cutting some gras, which he showed he was good at, but not with a Ferrari F1 ;)

• PeterG said on 8th July 2014, 13:50

Its also important to remember that the new layout was originally designed for the MotoGp bikes, That tarmac runoff there & in other places around the track is there primarily for the bikes.

Falling off & sliding across tarmac is far safer for the bikes/riders than hitting uneven grass or gravel & starting to roll uncontrollably.