Magnussen should have backed off, says Massa

2014 German Grand Prix

Felipe Massa, Williams, Hockenheimring, 2014Felipe Massa said Kevin Magnussen could have avoided their collision on the first lap if the McLaren driver had backed off.

The Williams driver was tipped into a dramatic roll at the first corner after the pair made contact.

“Going into the first corner I was near to Valtteri but had to back off to stop an accident, sadly some others didn’t do the same,” said Massa. “I am obviously very disappointed.”

“Luckily I am ok but I am not happy,” he added. “I was in front going into the corner, and so to have another race ended by another driver is not easy.”

“I am doing my best, the team are doing their best, and we just aren’t getting the chances we need.”

Magnussen insisted he did everything he could to avoid the contact.

“I need to see a replay of the accident, but I feel that, if I’d had somewhere to go, then there wouldn’t have been contact with Felipe,” he said. “I did my best to try and avoid the accident, but there wasn’t much else I could do.”

No penalties were issued for the collision after the stewards ruled Massa had been keeping an eye on team mate Valtteri Bottas before the clash with the McLaren.

“The stewards took into account that this was the first turn of the first lap, cars 77 [Bottas], 19 [Massa] and 20 [Magnussen] were entering turn one and it appears [Massa] was concentrating on [Bottas],” they said in a statement.

“There was no intentional turning in by [Massa] on [Magnussen],” they added. “[Massa's] rear right wheels impacted with the left front of [Magnussen].”

2014 German Grand Prix

Browse all 2014 German Grand Prix articles

Image © Williams/LAT

105 comments on Magnussen should have backed off, says Massa

1 2 3
  1. Clarky said on 20th July 2014, 17:27

Just for once Massa admit your mistake and stop blaming others.

• Quant said on 20th July 2014, 18:28

While I disagree with Massa that this was in any way Magnussen’s fault, I do think it is worth pointing out that (as far as I can recall) Massa’s other incidents this season were not down to mistakes by him, but were caused by another driver (or at least their car). Melbourne, was the result of a brake failure on the Caterham, in Montreal two sets of stewards and the overhead timelapse (from Scarbs I think?) demonstrated the incident was Perez’s fault, in Silverstone Massa didn’t really blame anyone, but at the very least, he did well to avoid an even bigger accident. Have I forgotten any?

• Breno (@austus) said on 20th July 2014, 21:56

Do you remember how childish he was in Australia? It was ridiculous. And in Silverstone it’s amazing how Raikkonen’s first words were to ask about Massa, while Massa rushed to moaning for the rest of the weekend.

• Quant said on 20th July 2014, 22:46

As I recall, Massa reacted strongly to the Australia incident when being interviewed about 5 minutes after it had happened (angry reactions from drivers in the immediate aftermath of getting taken out of races are not limited to Massa), and before it became apparent that it was a fault with Kobayashi’s car… even Kobayashi thought it was his error at first (he actually apologised to Massa). At Silverstone Massa seemed quite philosophical about the incident, I don’t recall him “moaning for the rest of the weekend” at all, or criticising Raikkonen’s actions (though numerous other people argued Raikkonen should have been penalised for his decision-making).

• Marky2112 said on 21st July 2014, 3:48

Anyway you look at it Massa drove straight into the back of Perez and the incident today was his fault. You don’t always get into accidents with it never being your fault. Kimi has had like one accident in 2 years, Massa has had 3 this year on the first lap alone. I hope Williams has figured out why Ferrari fired him and put someone else in the car that understands how to finish races.

• David BR2 said on 20th July 2014, 18:52

Massa must be the driver with the least peripheral spatial awareness on the grid. OK, that’s relative, but the number of incidents where he’s failed to see someone trying to pass him are legion.

• I agree, Massa is expecting everyone to let him past, yet again racing incident.

• Michael (@freelittlebirds) said on 21st July 2014, 14:30

+1 – In 2011, he was so mad at Lewis for not following him around the track while he left massive gaps to pass, then would close it down all of a sudden.

2. sridhar said on 20th July 2014, 17:28

You get what you give. Remember when he blew Perez”s race in Canada. How was Perez to be blamed if he is blameless today.Utter waste of a drive for Williams should be looking to replace this bloke. Bye Massa nice to have seen u racing but you lost it in 2008 and have never been the same agaib

• Justin said on 21st July 2014, 1:51

Exactly. That incident at Montreal, Massa was desperate to overtake Chico, so he made a move that he shouldn’t have. Until today, I fail to see how Perez was at fault. I’m also very surprised that Massa has once again being let off for making an abrupt charge to the racing line, resulting in this collision with Magnussen. Massa should really take himself out of F1 for the sake of Williams and the safety of other drivers. Bottas is making a mockery of Massa as well…

• pastaman (@pastaman) said on 21st July 2014, 2:32

That was Perez’s fault

• Marky2112 said on 21st July 2014, 3:51

Massa could have brought the car home but decided to take big risks. When I hit the car in front of me on the road it is my fault and when I run into the back of someone else racing like Massa did I consider it my fault if I drive straight into the back of him and don’t turn.

• Nickpkr251 said on 21st July 2014, 4:40

Yes Massa said so too !

3. R.J. O'Connell (@rjoconnell) said on 20th July 2014, 17:29

Felipe is on pace to make sure that nobody feels sorry for him any more for what happened here four years ago by the time we get to Spa.

4. rez (@rez0) said on 20th July 2014, 17:29

If it happened later in the race I would back Massa, but at the start it’s just a racing incident… no one’s fault really.

• Zane Jakobs (@zjakobs) said on 20th July 2014, 17:39

Really? I saw the replays from about 5 angles, and all of them point to that Massa went around Magnussen, didn’t leave MAG enough room, and got taken out for it.

• bigwilk said on 20th July 2014, 23:52

Agreed. I may sound like a skipping record but Massa just takes ‘his’ line even if there is someone else on it. He has a lot of crashes like this because he never leaves room, totally missing racecraft.

• Kent said on 22nd July 2014, 10:56

Kevin Magnussen clearly was in the corner when Massa chose to turn into it, as if no one else could be there. It is a typical Massa blunder one of many through out his career. Please resign now Massa, before you create more danger for yourself and others.

5. gwenouille (@gwenouille) said on 20th July 2014, 17:30

I am not sure about this one… It seems to me that FM is prone to immediately put the blame on others.
    I honestly don’t know what KM did wrong. Couldn’t you give room and avoid contact Felipe ?

I understand that his frustration must be immense after 2 races that were aborted after a few seconds, but contrary to Silvertone, he has to take a big portion of the blame this time.

6. Neil (@neilosjames) said on 20th July 2014, 17:33

No one’s right or wrong, it was a perfect example of a racing incident. Maybe Magnussen could have backed out, but equally Massa could have conceded the corner.

Felipe, just accept your 50% of the blame and move on…

• Corrado (@corrado-dub) said on 20th July 2014, 21:37

It was the start, so it’s harder to back out than paying attention to what’s going on around and being more careful. As said here already, he moved from outside to the inside of the corner like was alone on track. I don’t think that’s something to do at the start, when everybody is desperate to gain some positions and/or unless the driver is 110% sure what’s going on around him. I’m not saying that is only Massa’s fault, but his racecraft is questionable more and more.

• Mikelike said on 21st July 2014, 0:20

Massa cannot accept his 50%, nor would he accept 1%. He makes judgement errors putting himself into situations many other drivers avoid. In Canada, it was Perez who was at fault yet the corner Massa was going for a pass was no place to pass with the positions of each car, unless maybe it was the start of the race, where side by side racing happens through the first and often second corners. The rules are clear, room needs to be provided if any part of the car is beside the other (or did this change or small I wrong).

• (@neilosjames)
      I’d argue blame can be apportioned slightly more to KMags than Massa, but it was still the textbook definition of a racing incident. However his inability to act with any class in regards to his colleagues is getting a little wearing.

7. RogerPGR said on 20th July 2014, 17:36

Felipe is right on this one.

If Kevin was fully alongside or slightly ahead of Massa then you could say he had the corner, However he wasn’t so should have backed off.

Also shows why the Standing Restarts for 2014 are a dangerous idea. Desperate drivers diving up the inside desperate to make up places mid-pack is a recipe for carnage.

• Zane Jakobs (@zjakobs) said on 20th July 2014, 17:41

However, BOT cut across MAG, and MAG had nowhere to go, and to compound that, MAG probably didn’t see MAS, whereas MAS had to have seen MAG, and should have left MAG some room

• matt90 (@matt90) said on 20th July 2014, 21:42

Magnussen was already backing off for Bottas. Maybe he should have pulled over and let every other driver past before attempting the corner himself?

• Mike Dee (@mike-dee) said on 20th July 2014, 21:44

“Felipe is right on this one. You can’t go 2 wide through turn 1, Kevin was only half way alongside Felipe (If that) & should have backed off knowing that there’s no room for 2 cars wide there.”

So just after Massa and Magnussen, the two Red Bull cars going through the corner next to each other were actually just one car? I am confused! @RogerPGR

• Marky2112 said on 21st July 2014, 3:58

Nobody back off going into the first corner, ever. Watch what Ricciardo did on the same turn he left space knowing that someone would probably be there. Everyone leaves room for another car going into the first turn except the leader and Massa of course.

8. wsrgo (@wsrgo) said on 20th July 2014, 17:44

I love how Massa said to be Pinkham (I think) that he was a victim of GP2 driving standards.

Someone should tell him that the only time Kevin Magnussen ever drove a GP2 car was in post-season testing last year.

9. craig-o (@craig-o) said on 20th July 2014, 17:46

It looked like six of one, half a dozen of the other to me (after replays). Stewards called it right at least.

10. Osvaldas31 (@osvaldas31) said on 20th July 2014, 17:48

I’m ‘waiting’ for more of such accidents next year, when standing starts will be introduced (sarcasm).

11. Bradley Downton (@bradley13) said on 20th July 2014, 18:11

I think Massa was more to blame, just swept across in front of Magnussen, but a racing incident was probably the right call, after all, Massa took enough of a penalty by taking himself out.

If he keeps this up, I wonder if Williams will decide to give Susie Wolff or Felipe Nasr a shot?

• lubhz (@lubhz) said on 20th July 2014, 18:24

True. Nasr just got a second place on GP2

• Breno (@austus) said on 20th July 2014, 22:03

If they give the seat to Nasr, Williams wouldnt even lose Massa’s sponsor (Petrobras) and would gain another (Banco do Brasil). He literally brings nothing to the team (other than camera time during his crashes).

• Marky2112 said on 21st July 2014, 4:01

Massa was completely to blame every driver in F1 except the leader leaves room for another car going into turn one, except Massa that is. If you do what Massa did going into turn 1 you will hit another car every time.

• Aditya F. Yahya (@adityafakhri) said on 21st July 2014, 10:17

it’s quite amazing that Williams seems to get wrong driver when their cars have the speed. once with Maldonado, and now with Massa.
      Massa had the racing line and in front of Magnussen, but he shouldn’t swept the corner like in qualifying when it’s a first corner after start.

12. Massa is clearly to blame for this one. Of course he knows it, but he is just lashing out cause he is frustated and knows that he will probably loose his seat next season.

13. frazbox (@frazbox) said on 20th July 2014, 18:22

Massa drive like the others obligated to let him through. Not because Kevin is a rookie you don’t pay any attention to him; he was right next to you on the grid so you gotta at least expect him to be there in the corner. For the replay and the stewards decision, they all point to massa watching his teammate as he leaves him in the dust

14. Mutleyeng said on 20th July 2014, 18:28

well, I guess he was right that had KM backed off it would have avoided the incident – Kevin probably should have too – as chances are he would have got the place back when Massa went and hit someone else

15. Matthew said on 20th July 2014, 18:30

Massa is an idiot, He never ever accepts the blame for his actions.

Watch the helicopter cam in this video:

At the point Massa makes the decision to swipe into the apex of the corner at around 3 seconds into the video Magnussen is pretty much level with Massa, there is absolutely no question of that. The rules say that under normal racing not even first lap racing that if someone is even half way along the side of you then you must leave them room, Kevin goes up the kerb as far as he can but Massa just goes for the Apex like he’s on lap 10. At the first corner after a start you should fully expect someone to be there because for most people there is going to be.

I am so glad he didn’t win the title in ’08 because he never deserved it, I would appreciate if someone can post the .gif of his family going from joy to despair in 2 seconds at Brazil in ’08, makes me laugh every time.

He needs to give that seat up and hang up his gloves, there are many many drivers who would make far better use of that car than he does, give it to Wolff lets see what she’s made of in race trim with a good car.

1 2 3