Magnussen should have backed off, says Massa

2014 German Grand Prix

Felipe Massa, Williams, Hockenheimring, 2014Felipe Massa said Kevin Magnussen could have avoided their collision on the first lap if the McLaren driver had backed off.

The Williams driver was tipped into a dramatic roll at the first corner after the pair made contact.

“Going into the first corner I was near to Valtteri but had to back off to stop an accident, sadly some others didn’t do the same,” said Massa. “I am obviously very disappointed.”

“Luckily I am ok but I am not happy,” he added. “I was in front going into the corner, and so to have another race ended by another driver is not easy.”

“I am doing my best, the team are doing their best, and we just aren’t getting the chances we need.”

Magnussen insisted he did everything he could to avoid the contact.

“I need to see a replay of the accident, but I feel that, if I’d had somewhere to go, then there wouldn’t have been contact with Felipe,” he said. “I did my best to try and avoid the accident, but there wasn’t much else I could do.”

No penalties were issued for the collision after the stewards ruled Massa had been keeping an eye on team mate Valtteri Bottas before the clash with the McLaren.

“The stewards took into account that this was the first turn of the first lap, cars 77 [Bottas], 19 [Massa] and 20 [Magnussen] were entering turn one and it appears [Massa] was concentrating on [Bottas],” they said in a statement.

“There was no intentional turning in by [Massa] on [Magnussen],” they added. “[Massa's] rear right wheels impacted with the left front of [Magnussen].”

2014 German Grand Prix

Browse all 2014 German Grand Prix articles

Image © Williams/LAT

105 comments on Magnussen should have backed off, says Massa

1. svianna (@svianna) said on 20th July 2014, 18:41

Felipe is too much of an average driver to admit his mistakes. Mag’s start was compromised by Bottas excessive wheel spin at the start. For those who think that Bottas should have simply backed off, you have no idea of what racing is. In his mind, I am sure, if he backed off, he would have risked being hit from behind. After all, anybody who knows anything about racing knows that the dash to the first corner is the most dangerous part of the race, with very little room for errors.

Massa’s irresponsible move trying to reach the apex without any spatial awareness of his adversaries just proves hows mediocre to average he is. If it were not for William’s desperate need for cash and Massa’s brazilian money, after Maldonado’s departure with PDVSA’s millions, they would have never signed him.

2. John White (@jonty1512) said on 20th July 2014, 18:46

Why does Massa blames everybody else for the accidents he’s involved in? He never accepts any responsibility. Personally I thought todays accident was 100% Massa’s fault as he failed to give Magnussen any kind of racing room on the inside of the corner. Magnussen was already on the kerb, what was Magnussen supposed to do vanish into thin air?

3. ElBasque (@elbasque) said on 20th July 2014, 18:53

“…if you do not go for a gap, then you are no longer a racing driver.”

• And a lot of good that did. Like Japan 1990.

• LotsOfControl (@for-unlawful-carnal-knowledge) said on 20th July 2014, 19:07

I agree. Hamilton did it twice today and has only Kimi and Jenson to thank, that he didn’t crash out of the race. If it were any of younger “Senna is God” fanboy drivers, he would have been left crying by the track with his broken Mercedes.

• ElBasque (@elbasque) said on 20th July 2014, 19:30

I didn’t say I condoned the action, I just wrote it as it made me laugh when it popped into my head during reading.

No need for any antagonism over a throwaway comment. I’m well aware of the circumstances in which it was said.

:^)

• Marky2112 said on 21st July 2014, 4:04

In Japan 1990 Senna wasn’t going for a gap he admitted it after the season was over. He intentionally crashed Prost out and held his foot to the floor the entire time which you don’t do if you plan on making the corner.

• Aced (@aced) said on 20th July 2014, 20:54

That quote has to be the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard in my entire life. Jesus Christ…

• Marky2112 said on 21st July 2014, 4:06

It was a stupid excuse Senna made during an interview with Jackie Stewart when he was afraid to admit he intentionally crashed into Prost for fear they wold take is title away. He admitted it after the 1991 season was over and they could no longer take the title away.

4. F1 Codger said on 20th July 2014, 18:56

In his long career and with his record of being involved in many accidents has he ever held his hand up and said SORRY IT WAS MY FAULT?

5. Klaas (@klaas) said on 20th July 2014, 19:00

Booo Felipe. booo….

6. Rigi (@rigi) said on 20th July 2014, 19:00

I think Magnussen did incredibly well off the start. A driver with GP2 mentality would’ve dived down the inside of bottas, but he backed out of it and slotted in behind bottas and on the inside of massa, who simply didn’t pay attention to that. Some would call it a racing incident, but i believe Massa should’ve got a penalty for causing a collision. He’s just wasting so much of Wliliams’ potential it’s unreal. I’m starting to feel that he’s just not up to the driving standarts of f1 anymore. Consider that Bottas only has one and a half season of F1 experience, you’d think Massas experience would help him to be in front of Bottas, but so far Bottas has outperformed Massa most of the time. Just shows that he’s simply an average driver, who has become a pay-driver now.

It’s interesting to see that Magnussen still ended up P9, one wonders what he could’ve done if it wasn’t for that first corner incident.

• Klaas (@klaas) said on 20th July 2014, 19:06

If I were Claire Williams, I would ditch Massa and take Hulkenberg back.

• Corrado (@corrado-dub) said on 20th July 2014, 21:58

Agree… but I think this is how Massa was all the time. The way this season develops for him I think it’s proof enough that all the talking about Ferrari “destroying” him mentaly, psychologically etc with the no.2 status… was just BS ! Now he’s with a new team, with a team that recovered from a long time of mediocre results and that offered equal treatment to their drivers… yet again Massa racecraft is quite poor. Look at Austrian GP again, he started from pole, but finished 4th, behind his team mate. Kinda pathetic given his opinion about himself as a driver.

7. BasCB (@bascb) said on 20th July 2014, 19:01

“Going into the first corner I was near to Valtteri but had to back off to stop an accident,” – certainly didn’t look like he was backing off there IMO. I thought he just hadn’t seen Magnussen inside.

But if he did see him then he should have backed off instead of trying to go to the inside there.

8. Uzair Syed (@ultimateuzair) said on 20th July 2014, 20:16

It’s 99% Massa’s fault and maybe 1% Magnussen’s fault. Magnussen was much faster off the line and had the inside line, he even backed off a little. Massa just turned in on him and ruined his and Magnussen’s race! Just shut up and drive Massa you careless Maldonadoist. Well that’s a new word xD

9. Yoshitsune (@yobo01) said on 20th July 2014, 20:31

I think it was a racing incident. Massa tried to leave a bit of space, he didn’t go straight for the apex, but it wasn’t enough. Turn one is a difficult corner, everyone is so close at the start, I think that accidents like that can happen, no need to blame people.

Having said that, it’s the second time this year that a car has flipped due to wheel to wheel contact. I expect that there will be discussions about improving the safety in these situations.

10. spoutnik (@spoutnik) said on 20th July 2014, 20:56

I like and support Massa, but it’s entirely his fault. A racing incident, quite scary though. If anything had to stand in the path of his car, any debris, it would go straight on the helmet.

11. Edvaldo said on 20th July 2014, 21:07

This is racing and sometimes a driver need to be rough.
    If Massa leaves room for MAG there and looses the position, he would be to blame anyway. This is still a fighting for position.
    Magnussen should have backed off. He was clearly behind on the approach to the corner.
    You can’t go expecting everyone to leave space to you in a RACE.
    A driver must know when to keep going or not.

• Hemz Shaw (@hemzshaw) said on 20th July 2014, 22:04

I guess you will never say this line for the Perez-Massa collision in CA. Fan or not, accept it and move on…

“This is still a fighting for position.”

• Edvaldo said on 21st July 2014, 5:36

Why instead of telling me your point you keep talking about this childish thing of being a fan?
        I’m not Massa’s fan, this is my opinion.

You could give yours or start talking crap about fans. You made your choice.

• Hemz Shaw (@hemzshaw) said on 20th July 2014, 22:06

And backing off, as some already said, would mean collision with cars from behind.. So, well MAG hardly a choice.

• Edvaldo said on 21st July 2014, 5:33

Yeah, and the guys behind MAG don’t have brakes themselves?
        Think about what you write friend.

• Kent said on 22nd July 2014, 11:22

You clearly are a Massa fan Edvaldo :) And that is only fair, but don´t say that FM and KM weren´t in the corner at the same time… Look at the helicoptershots… FM just doesn´t leave room and drives as if he is alone in the 1 corner of the race… Clearly a stupid mistake…. Like he made a ton of times in his own first season…

12. Jane said on 20th July 2014, 21:23

When Massa can say things like this, he most be living in his own world.
    It makes Massa a joke and any team as well that hire such an crashguy….

13. tmax (@tmax) said on 20th July 2014, 22:21

I didn’t like the way Massa was complaining that these young drivers come in from GP2 and do stuff. He should learn to start accepting his mistakes. I have never seen him admit even once . it is always somebody else’s fault. With a field growing lush with young talent, he should better watch out. Sir Williams won’t be patient for a long time.

14. Juan Pablo Valverde (@jpvalverde85) said on 20th July 2014, 22:35

Massa as been often on the eye of the storm but (he sais) never is his fault… i’m starting to see a pattern there, always playing victim and never assuming resposability. I would like to see Susie doing some racing on that car!

15. Dan said on 20th July 2014, 22:47

I am shocked at people blaming Massa. Just wow, im the first to have pops at him like of youre to slow Massa but look at Massa’s onboard. KMag nose was not even in shot, you either blame no one or you blame Mag it is that simple. Was Mag alongside? No he was not.

• Justin said on 21st July 2014, 2:09

Please, Mag was on racing line! Race start is not queuing up to see whose nose is ahead of whom so that they can line up going into a corner.

• mike-e (@mike-e) said on 21st July 2014, 3:04

in a first corner if you are on the outside line, you leave a cars width on the inside just incase… its called self preservation and you learn it in karting. you cant win the race at the first corner, but you can deffinately lose it.