Magnussen should have backed off, says Massa

2014 German Grand Prix

Felipe Massa, Williams, Hockenheimring, 2014Felipe Massa said Kevin Magnussen could have avoided their collision on the first lap if the McLaren driver had backed off.

The Williams driver was tipped into a dramatic roll at the first corner after the pair made contact.

“Going into the first corner I was near to Valtteri but had to back off to stop an accident, sadly some others didn’t do the same,” said Massa. “I am obviously very disappointed.”

“Luckily I am ok but I am not happy,” he added. “I was in front going into the corner, and so to have another race ended by another driver is not easy.”

“I am doing my best, the team are doing their best, and we just aren’t getting the chances we need.”

Magnussen insisted he did everything he could to avoid the contact.

“I need to see a replay of the accident, but I feel that, if I’d had somewhere to go, then there wouldn’t have been contact with Felipe,” he said. “I did my best to try and avoid the accident, but there wasn’t much else I could do.”

No penalties were issued for the collision after the stewards ruled Massa had been keeping an eye on team mate Valtteri Bottas before the clash with the McLaren.

“The stewards took into account that this was the first turn of the first lap, cars 77 [Bottas], 19 [Massa] and 20 [Magnussen] were entering turn one and it appears [Massa] was concentrating on [Bottas],” they said in a statement.

“There was no intentional turning in by [Massa] on [Magnussen],” they added. “[Massa's] rear right wheels impacted with the left front of [Magnussen].”

2014 German Grand Prix

Browse all 2014 German Grand Prix articles

Image © Williams/LAT

105 comments on Magnussen should have backed off, says Massa

1. Bobby (@f1bobby) said on 20th July 2014, 23:34

Massa is the biggest cry baby F1 has ever seen! Every time it’s someone else. It’s never even a ‘racing incident’ with Massa, it’s ‘so and so is dangerous’, ‘so and so should have backed down’. Put him out to pasture, Frank.

2. Irejag (@irejag) said on 21st July 2014, 2:44

It was a racing incident. That is all.

3. Marky2112 said on 21st July 2014, 3:55

If you are on the outside of the first corner and you cut in to clip the apex on the first turn there will be a car there every time. Massa it’s time to retire before someone gets hurt. What is worse is if they don’t punish him he will go on believing that it’s never his fault.

4. RyanDixon (@ryandixon) said on 21st July 2014, 12:41

If Mag backed out he would of lost so many positions that it would be dangerous due to him having to slow to make the corner due to the angle of approach, he takes it either early and gets a penalty or does what he does and gets hit.

Massa now needs to think about what is happening with his racing. Whilst he team mate is gaining plaudits and becoming a hero with racing fans, he has been in a many number of crashes which the large proportion of which are avoidable. Take Canada for example, he could of avoided that accident, saved him and Perez a trip to the hospital and gained some points.

That being said, this little incident can either be seen as his fault or K-Mag’s fault. Massa was taking the normal line, all be it a little aggressive, so he is in the right. K-Mag had a great start which caused him problems and proved he wasn’t to blame because there was nothing he could do.

5. Robbie (@robbie) said on 21st July 2014, 14:09

What struck me was FM’s remark when they interviewed him about mid-race, presumably after he had been checked out by the medics. I’m paraphrasing and he said something to the effect that it is the responsibility of the guy behind to check up to avoid an incident. I’ve always thought that was the case in general, most of the time, as it is the guy behind who has the clearer vision of circumstances and has to assume the guy in front has the racing line or whatever line he has chosen, whatever real estate he has chosen, and it is up to the guy behind to adapt. The guy in front has only his mirrors and shouldn’t be expected to have as good a judgement on the whole interaction. He’s usually going to use the racing line or something close, and may also do his one move to defend, and then back to the racing line, and they are also to leave a car width for the guy behind.

So what struck me immediately about Massa’s in-race interview was that if he expected KM to back off, then why didn’t he, FM, back off in Canada. Yeah I know umpteen stewards looked at it and still blamed Perez, but that doesn’t mean FM couldn’t have or shouldn’t have backed off to avoid a collision based on the same principal he would used to have KM back off in Germany.

6. Jason (@jason12) said on 21st July 2014, 17:06

You can’t just assume there’s noone on your racing line.

7. Angus Podgorney said on 21st July 2014, 22:38

Massa’s a whiner and a crash magnet.

8. Kent said on 22nd July 2014, 11:06

Kevin Magnussen clearly was in the corner when Massa chose to turn into it, as if no one else could be there. It is a typical Massa blunder one of many through out his career. Please resign now Massa, before you create more danger for yourself and others.