Rate the race: 2014 German Grand Prix

2014 German Grand Prix

Sebastian Vettel, Red Bull, Hockenheimring, 2014What did you think of today’s race? Share your verdict on the German Grand Prix.

Rate the race out of ten and leave a comment below:

[poll id="500"]

1 = ‘Terrible’, 10 = ‘Perfect’

You need an F1 Fanatic account to vote. Register an account here or read more about registering here. When this poll is closed the result will be displayed instead of the voting form.

See the results for past seasons here:

2014 German Grand Prix

Browse all 2014 German Grand Prix articles

Image © Red Bull/Getty

150 comments on Rate the race: 2014 German Grand Prix

1 3 4 5
  1. Deano said on 21st July 2014, 11:05

You GUYS are all missing the point.
    Bottas was a good performance but her only held off Hamilton because of Hamilton’s Damaged front wing.Does anyone notice how Rosberg only seems to beat Hamilton either by cheating(Monoco Grand prix) or when Hamilton has car or mechanical failure, or else
    Hamiltons pits stop crew will again let him down with extra long pit stop.
    I bet my mate £80 that something would go wrong with Hamilton’s car in Germany.
    I just knew it would

• Mike Dee (@mike-dee) said on 21st July 2014, 12:16

“By a million miles ,Hamilton’s performance in coming from 20th to 3rd was the most impressive, given that he was traveling with a damage car from about half way.” @Deano

Agreed, pretty impressive. Seems like he is almost as good as Vettel, who climbed from 24th to 3rd two years ago.

• Corrado (@corrado-dub) said on 21st July 2014, 12:39

It was, but kinda reckless too, so not that impressive if you ask me. I’ve seen better/cleaner recoveries. He bumped into RAI (destroyed his wing), RIC, BUT, almost touch with HUL. That’s unacceptable if we think that he’s not a rookie, then his car was a lot faster than anybody else on track except ROS and BOT.

• DDonovan1993 (@ddonovan1993) said on 21st July 2014, 12:41

“how Rosberg only seems to beat Hamilton either by cheating” Can you seriously not just let that go? I’m sure if Hamilton did that, you’d just call it a ‘mistake’. These conspiracies, favouritism theories and cheating accusations are getting old.

2. KaIIe (@kaiie) said on 21st July 2014, 12:55

I have really mixed feelings about this race. On the other hand, there were once again some great duels and nice overtaking. Then there were those horrible DRS passes, where the other car simply breezes past with 25 kph speed difference. While I’m not really complaining about the number of overtaking, it just felt like the overtaking moves did not really matter that much. Also, we saw some interesting strategies, but then again no real battle for the lead. I suppose overall there just wasn’t a clear “story” for this race. If I was a reporter, I would struggle to write a complete review, as it felt like after Hamilton had showed the usual Mercedes dominance by climbing up to P2/3 by lap 15 there just wasn’t that much going on – apart from the great ending with Bottas’ defensive drive.

3. Theo (@theodorium) said on 21st July 2014, 13:56

Judging by the ratings recent races get, F1 is in great shape and there’s little to be done to improve it, why should you change, it’s an 8/10 on average.

Come on, such a boring and dull season with predictable processional races! Yeah, LH got through the field on 1sec/lap faster Mercedes, Massa rolled over and some minor changes on 4-8 positions.

But hey, it’s just me, the race was an 8.

4. RyanDixon (@ryandixon) said on 21st July 2014, 15:54

I gave this race an 8/10 which really is pretty high considering all aspects of the race. Firstly the race lacked any real challenge for the win. After Lewis’s crash on the Saturday, it was a Rosberg win (not banking on failures). Considering this there is the first point lost, it isn’t a good race overall if the race winner isn’t shown on the TV for half the race (Although this is good by the producer not to show him just because he is German-ish).

The race lost another point because of the first lap drama. I know to some it may add to the race that the first lap is action packed and accidents happen but for me, we lost a great race in regards to the podium. Massa and Ricciardo could of fought for 2nd and 3rd and offered Lewis a better run during the race, that alongside Vettel and K-Mag knocking about there alongside Alonso could of offered is a better race for the podium.

Here’s the point which I was debating for and against is the ease of which Hamilton came from the back and onto the podium. Yes he may have the better car and an overall advantage but the DRS assisted and overtakes due to strategy differences handed him a large proportion of his places. Hardly an amazing drive considering his overall speed advantage without DRS but with it he was able to just breeze past them (Jenson and Kimi aside).

5. PJA (@pja) said on 23rd July 2014, 21:16

It looks like I have missed the voting for the German GP but here are my thoughts anyway.

I thought it was another great race.

After Hamilton’s brake failure on Saturday I thought the winner was never in doubt unless Rosberg suffered car trouble, which usually detracts from the race a bit for me but I still really enjoyed it.

There seemed to be plenty of action throughout the Grand Prix, but I only saw the BBC highlights so obviously any dull moments could have been edited out.

You had Hamilton charging through the field to the podium and also Ricciardo having to put in a recovery drive after avoiding the Massa and Magnussen coming together at the first corner.

For another race Alonso treated us to some fantastic battles mosdt notably with Ricciardo.

As with any race where I only see the highlights it doesn’t feel the same as a live race and I don’t enjoy it as much, so I have tried to adjust my rating to compensate for that so I decided to rate it the same as the British GP which was 8.5 rounded up to a 9.

1 3 4 5