2016 F1 season
The first Azerbaijan Grand Prix will take place on a street circuit designed by Hermann Tilke in the country’s capital Baku, which has a population of 2.1 million.
The circuit will use the Azadliq Square as the location of its start/finish straight.
Azerbaijan’s Minister of Youth and Sport Azad Rahimov said: “Our location at the crossroads of eastern Europe and western Asia is a new frontier for Formula One racing.”
“Azerbaijan is a modern European country that has established a reputation as a centre of sporting excellence.”
Baku held the season finale of last year’s FIA GT championship:
2014 F1 season
- Vote for your 2014 F1 Driver of the Year
- 2014 F1 Driver Rankings #1: Daniel Ricciardo
- 2014 F1 Driver Rankings #2: Fernando Alonso
- 2014 F1 Driver Rankings #3: Lewis Hamilton
- Red Bull show their strength despite engine troubles