2016 F1 season
The first Azerbaijan Grand Prix will take place on a street circuit designed by Hermann Tilke in the country’s capital Baku, which has a population of 2.1 million.
The circuit will use the Azadliq Square as the location of its start/finish straight.
Azerbaijan’s Minister of Youth and Sport Azad Rahimov said: “Our location at the crossroads of eastern Europe and western Asia is a new frontier for Formula One racing.”
“Azerbaijan is a modern European country that has established a reputation as a centre of sporting excellence.”
Baku held the season finale of last year’s FIA GT championship:
2014 F1 season
- Hamilton quickest but rivals’ true pace is concealed
- F1 should put “healthy grid” before three-car teams
- Radio rules change is ‘unnecessary nonsense’ – Tost
- Hamilton hits the top, Maldonado hits the wall
- Live: 2014 Singapore Grand Prix second practice