2016 F1 season
The first Azerbaijan Grand Prix will take place on a street circuit designed by Hermann Tilke in the country’s capital Baku, which has a population of 2.1 million.
The circuit will use the Azadliq Square as the location of its start/finish straight.
Azerbaijan’s Minister of Youth and Sport Azad Rahimov said: “Our location at the crossroads of eastern Europe and western Asia is a new frontier for Formula One racing.”
“Azerbaijan is a modern European country that has established a reputation as a centre of sporting excellence.”
Baku held the season finale of last year’s FIA GT championship:
2014 F1 season
- Grosjean is top choice for 2015 seat at Lotus
- Caterham given permission to miss next two races
- Administrators take over at Caterham
- Ocon “exceptional” in test debut – Lotus
- Fernandes hits back over Caterham claims