2016 F1 season
The first Azerbaijan Grand Prix will take place on a street circuit designed by Hermann Tilke in the country’s capital Baku, which has a population of 2.1 million.
The circuit will use the Azadliq Square as the location of its start/finish straight.
Azerbaijan’s Minister of Youth and Sport Azad Rahimov said: “Our location at the crossroads of eastern Europe and western Asia is a new frontier for Formula One racing.”
“Azerbaijan is a modern European country that has established a reputation as a centre of sporting excellence.”
Baku held the season finale of last year’s FIA GT championship:
2014 F1 season
- Bianchi ready for “logical step” up to Ferrari
- 2014 Japanese Grand Prix TV Times
- Caterham denies reports its future is in doubt and states it will race in Japan
- Mercedes can clinch team’s title in Japan
- Caterham confirm Kobayashi will drive at home