“Podium tastes like a victory” – Alonso

2014 Hungarian Grand Prix

Fernando Alonso, Ferrari, Hungaroring, 2014Fernando Alonso said his second podium finish of the year felt like a victory despite losing the lead of the race in the final laps.

The Ferrari driver fell behind Daniel Ricciardo with two laps to go, but felt he could have held on for longer had Lewis Hamilton resisted the Red Bull driver for a few more laps.

“It was difficult but Lewis had the medium tyres which was a little bit less grippy, I had a bit of an advantage in level of grip there,” said Alonso to reporters after the race.

“Obviously I wanted Lewis to take second position and to hold Ricciardo a little bit longer because that was a help for me but when I saw Ricciardo passing Hamilton I was only one lap in front of Daniel at that stage because he was so fast. With Hamilton it was a little bit easier.”

Alonso took the lead of the race by staying out after the Safety Car came out for a second time, which put him in a position to claim his best finish of the season so far.

“With the last Safety Car we saw Ricciardo and Massa pitting, we stay out, we had the opportunity to lead the race and control the race from the lead and we thought that was the best decision,” he explained.

“We struggled a little bit in the last part with the tyres but this podium obviously tastes like a victory.”

2014 Hungarian Grand Prix

Browse all 2014 Hungarian Grand Prix articles

Image © Ferrari/Ercole Colombo

37 comments on “Podium tastes like a victory” – Alonso

1. Tyrotoxic (@tyrotoxic) said on 27th July 2014, 16:39

Fantastic drive from Alonso

2. puneeth Bharath (@puneethvb) said on 27th July 2014, 16:40

Epic drive fro Alonso… so badly wanted to see hi win this one

3. tmax (@tmax) said on 27th July 2014, 16:40

Great Race from Alonso. I thought he will win this one….

Superb last minute overtake by Ricciardo to steal that Victory

4. Old Lightnin (@lightnin-hopkins) said on 27th July 2014, 16:41

Fernando really is the best. Imagine if he ever gets a car thats fastest or atleast equally as fast as any other car on the grid…

5. DaveW (@dmw) said on 27th July 2014, 16:42

Lewis will be out one (obviously fancy) fruit basket come Christmas. But Alonso was amazing today. After he went off at the chicane, I thought his tires were done and he would just slide off the road on his own if Hamilton didn’t nail him first. But he was like a terrier up there. Unbelievable.

6. evered7 (@evered7) said on 27th July 2014, 16:46

Alonso! Nothing more to be said about this man.

Ferrari better get their act together. They owe him a faster car big time.

7. JCost (@jcost) said on 27th July 2014, 16:48

Fernando Alonso really is a great racer. Top of the crop, too bad Ferrari failed again in providing him the proper equipment to fight for a well deserved WDC #3.

8. Breno (@austus) said on 27th July 2014, 16:55

That was a great performance from Alonso. He managed, what, 30 plus laps on softs? And kept the fastest man in the weekend behind him. Unfornately Ricciardo made two great passes by the very end of the race and took the win, very much deserved. Well, there’s always next race.’

9. Fer no.65 (@fer-no65) said on 27th July 2014, 17:07

No words to describe this man. Still mantain he’s the best of the lot.

10. Colossal Squid (@colossal-squid) said on 27th July 2014, 17:45

I was in complete awe of that man yet again today. He’s not a driver, he’s a magician.

I’ve been watching Formula 1 for almost two decades now. I’ve seen some of the greats come and go, but I don’t think I’ve ever seen a man as good as Alonso barring one exception: Michael Schumacher. I think in terms of intelligence, car control, wheel-to-wheel racing, defensive driving, tactical thinking and consistency as well as an almost surreal ability to feel the car and tyres under them and be then able to know exactly how much they can push them, those two men stand alone in my time watching live races. Alonso’s driving today had all of the above.

It really is a joy to watch a true master at work every Sunday. No driver is perfect but Alonso is damn close. I hope that he gets a few more Championships before he retires, but even if he doesn’t he’s one of the all time greats in my book.

11. Slava (@slava) said on 27th July 2014, 18:20

That is too much for Alonso. It’s a shame that he will never again get the fastest car.
    Incredible effort, I thought it is almost impossible to drive like that and finish in the 2nd place.

12. craig-o (@craig-o) said on 27th July 2014, 18:33

It’s not often that I compliment Alonso, but all weekend he has been exceptional. I know who my DOTW vote is going to.

13. sasho (@ferrist) said on 27th July 2014, 18:59

Great race for Alonso, really outstanding performance.

14. Jack (@jmc200) said on 27th July 2014, 19:33

The man’s a wizard, a boss, a maestro, a legend. That was his 97th podium, only Michael and Prost have more, amazing.

15. Alex (@alexny67) said on 27th July 2014, 19:50

Alonso is a master driver, hands down. He deserves more. It’s a shame the car is no par for his quality at the moment.