Start, Hungaroring, 2014

Rate the race: 2014 Hungarian Grand Prix

2014 Hungarian Grand PrixPosted on | Author Keith Collantine

Start, Hungaroring, 2014What did you think of today’s race? Share your verdict on the Hungarian Grand Prix.

Rate the race out of ten and leave a comment below:

Rate the 2014 Hungarian Grand Prix out of ten

• 1 (1%)
  • 2 (0%)
  • 3 (0%)
  • 4 (0%)
  • 5 (1%)
  • 6 (1%)
  • 7 (2%)
  • 8 (13%)
  • 9 (39%)
  • 10 (44%)

Total Voters: 965

Loading ... Loading ...

1 = ‘Terrible’, 10 = ‘Perfect’

You need an F1 Fanatic account to vote. Register an account here or read more about registering here. When this poll is closed the result will be displayed instead of the voting form.

See the results for past seasons here:

2014 Hungarian Grand Prix

Browse all 2014 Hungarian Grand Prix articles

Image © Ferrari/Ercole Colombo

231 comments on “Rate the race: 2014 Hungarian Grand Prix”

Jump to comment page: 1 2 3 7
  1. PJ (@pjtierney)
    27th July 2014, 14:56

The pre-race rain shower + the early Safety Cars meant that we had more “on the fly” strategies rather than the usual simulations we were used to, which shook up the running order.

For a track that doesn’t provide a lot of overtaking there was a lot of action. Things built up to a good finish as well once the final strategies played themselves out.

Can’t give the race a higher score as despite the above I wasn’t gripped to my seat for the entirety, but it was a good race.

1. “For a track that doesn’t provide a lot of overtaking there was a lot of action.”
      Quite true.
      I must also add that all the lies of Toto and his bosses at Mercedes came to the fore today when they asked Lewis Hamilton severally to let Nico Rosberg past. It is interesting considering that Toto talked about it being ‘not fair’ to Nico to let Lewis have fewer pit stops at Silverstone yet someone was on the phone today almost frantically asking Lewis – whi stated from the pitlane and worked his way up to his position – to slow down and let Nico – who couldn’t retain his pole position- past even when it was obvious that Nico couldn’t shorten the gap to Lewis to less than 0.9 secs. Even if Lewis was to let him past the least Nico could have done was come close to Lewis by shortening the gap to say 0.5 secs.
      MercedesAmgF1 have not been frank about their so-called ‘open policy’ and ‘no team orders’.

1. You are joking right? Can’t you just be pleased that Lewis had a great drive today.

1. David Moondi
          27th July 2014, 16:02

Not really. It is important to keep reminding you about this. They keep talking about being fair to both drivers but in reality that is not the case.

1. Just as McLaren had it in for Lewis too! One big conspiracy.

2. How can I be ‘joking’?
          To think that Mercedes paid Lewis € 60 million to order him to move over for a German winner with whom he is competing for the title is outrageous and goes to show that those who keep pointing at the amount Lewis is paid as a reason for Mercedes not to have Nico favoured for the title are deluded.
          € 60 million isn’t much for a company whose revenue runs into billions after all Ferrari cut short Kimi’s contract and even paid him extra millions to kick him out of the team in 2008. So mentioning the money lewis signed in his contract is a weak argument. Lewis Hamilton’s sojourn at Mercedes has elevated the team to greater heights and brought a lot of benefits to them both in notoreity, car development, data-mining, etc. The last mentioned was particularly noted by Lewis Hamilton in an interview in Bahrain (before the grand prix) when he said he was surprised to see an entire volume on all he did with the car at Malaysia had been compiled by ‘someone’ at Mercedes after he had completely blown Nico away in his 1st completed race of the season after his retirement in Melbourne. He showed them the true potential of their 2014 car and the entire data and info was brought to Bahrain and were at Nico’s disposal.
          So Nico Rosberg is the preffered 2014 title winner both at Mercedes and by Bernie’s stewards which I don’t really care about that much. What irks me though, is the double talk from Toto Wolfe and co. They should come clean with their preffered driver and continue their team orders at least in the open like major teams do. I don’t care whether majority of the workers are british and the factories are in England or not as that is irrelevant, what matters most is who the bosses are and who funds the business. He who pays the piper dictates the tune. And the last time I checked, Mercedes remains a German company.
          So to answer your question, I am happy Danny won, Fernando performed exceptionally well today and that Lewis came from the pitlane to come third but it was digusting for me to hear Mercedes severally on the phone today telling their supposed million Euro driver to get out of the way for a slower team mate.
          That was very uncalledfor.

1. Haven’t you realised or have learned by now and through history about Germany (please read) that is the German way, anything and everything for “Deutschland, Deutschland über alles”

2. @tata

Merc revenue is Quoted to be $100 billion,

Pit radio to car 44
            Lewis, let Nico by – he is more German than you.

2. Agreed. Epic race, but it did have some slow moments

1. Agreed, 1st. part with lack of grip made for some great racing but then pit-stop strategies spread the cars out and it was pretty ordinary until after the last round of pit stops and the chase to the flag bought back the excitement.

2. What a race! Superb Ricciardo! A solid 9 for me.

1. The ingredients were there: Rain. SC and a top car coming from the pits.

In the end, Lewis call not to let Nico through was proved correct.

1. @jcost, and if I might add, great F1 drivers!

3. One of the best races for a long time!

1. +1 you know its been a great race if you can’t wait to watch the BBC re-run !

1. +1
        I’m in New York and last night I was considering not waking up at 8am and just watching the replay at 2pm. I’m happy I woke up and im going to watch it again at 2. :) Great race. And even as a Ferrari fan, I can’t say anything bad about RIC, he’s too damn likable.

4. 10/10… No way this could be less than that.

What a fantastic race ! what a season ! what a sport ! God, I LOVE FORMULA ONE !

Tell me now we need to fix it ! The last 5 races have been epic. It keeps getting better!

1. My wife and I were on the edge of our seats for the last 20 laps. Darn race director needs to be informed that the most important action to focus on is ANYTIME there is a battle up from.
      Great race, great drives, great finish! Don’t know what else you want from a race.

1. @jackal40 indeed. I forgot about that. That’s a massive points down. The top 3 were inches away from each other and they were showing replay after replay.

The TV director really needs to sort himself out. He’s usually the weakest link in the broadcast.

1. This is why I wish they would look into split/embedded screens.

Keep the main fight as the priority, but if they want to show replays or other incidents, split the screen so that both can be viewed.

2. To be fair though, the director did cut straight back to the racing after the lead 4 cars finished, almost as though he read our complaints from GermanGP. Thank you Mr.Director.

2. Heath (@lotus4thewin)
        28th July 2014, 3:20

Agreed, this race and the Canadian GP had some questionable camera choices, but this one was more frustrating becuase they would tease us with the timing gaps and then not show the battle!

2. Both my calves are sore from pumping the balls of my feet.

3. Vic (@hendrix666)
      27th July 2014, 17:51

Exactly! I was thrilled! Loved it. And It was 9AM start where I am! But no grogginess! 10

4. Michael (@freelittlebirds)
      27th July 2014, 18:32

So much tension at the end!!!

5. Totally agree. I live in California, so I had to wake up at 5:00 A.M. to watch it, and I wasn’t disappointed in the slightest. Probably the best race in at least 2 or 3 years, due to all the overtaking, and attempted overtaking, and even though I’m a Rosberg fan, I was happy to see Ricciardo win and Alonso come second.

5. 10/10 It had everything! Championship ramifications, a drive through the pack, crashes, safety cards, rain, tyre issues, a battle for first, team-mate squabbles, controversy, what more could you want!?

1. +1. FIA got the usual SC call this time, no experiencing this time…

6. 9/10 – a bit too much chance was involved in this one to make it 10/10 but a brilliant race.

1. Don’t want to be selfish, but Rosberg didn’t finish low enough for it to be a 10/10!

1. I honestly don’t see how that’s a justified reason to lower the score…

2. The first SC was like the leaders were handed a random penalty for an offense they didn’t commit. They really need to look at the SC regulations.

The racing was top class but the result unfair. 9/10.

1. @aardvark So what? That’s racing. They’re hardly not going to deploy a safety car when a car has just crashed into the barriers with debris everywhere, just because it’s “unfair” on the lead cars.

2. They should stop the race, allow to change tyres and make a regular restart. Wait, isnt that a red flag?

3. Alonso was one of those early leaders. It didn’t seem to hurt his race much.

7. Gave 10. Plenty of wheel to wheel action, surprise podium and Ham getting back some good luck.

8. What a race.

Driven by strategy. Excellent.

9. 8/10
    could have been better, rain affected the positions and the SC had too much influence.
    Still good race

1. I don’t mind the rain impacting positions, as that’s a natural occurrence. I do agree that the SC played too much of a role today. However great racing at the start and end, some epic battles and overtakes on a track that doesn’t normally allow it. And having been to Hungary GP, can imagine the fans must have appreciated the rain giving a break from the oppressive heat.

I gave it a 9.

10. Danksa (@danieljaksa)
    27th July 2014, 14:58

Wow! My heart’s still pumping! Ricciardo, what a master!

1. @danieljaksa hehehehe…. oh bad bad Bernie, his double points “idea” is going to rob us something good I guess. I also realized that my heart rate went bananas in the last 2 laps. It looks like my heart knows what F1 should always be. And I imagine, that if Ricciardo had arrived 2 years early to Red Bull, maybe we would have 2WDC for Seb and 2 for him. Today he didn’t care it was Alonso and Hamilton ahead. Outstaaaaaaaaaaaaaaanding drive!!!

1. +1 the excitement just built all the way to the end, my heart has never beat so fast… Since Bahrain anyway!!!

11. Absolutely amazing race. Intense battle for the lead all round.

Cannot, cannot understand why they did not pit hamilton twice for the options, he had nothing but unused sets available and he was clearly faster than anything out their on fresh ones. Almost lost to Rosberg in the end even though he was in front.

Still, stunning drives by Ricciardo, Alonso and Hamilton.

12. Where’s the option for 11/10?

1. Vic (@hendrix666)
      27th July 2014, 17:55

Turn that amp to 11! Agreed! I am going to watch it again before bed!

13. an absolute breath-taker in the end…3 superb drivers from 3 different teams going in 3 different strategies fighting hard for the win; cant ask for more… f1 is only getting better.. thx rain.. thx SC

1. feel sorry 4 ROS btw

1. Yeah, was an amazing race, Although I did feel that the second safety car was a bit excessive, as precedent from the German GP would dictate that the car could have been rolled into the pit lane (albeit the wrong end of the pit lane) safely under double yellows. And brilliant drive by Hamilton, although when Driver of the Weekend comes around, I think it’ll have to be between Ricciardo and Alonso, because both put their cars way ahead of their teammates, in positions that neither car deserved to be in, I think Alonso a little bit more than Ricciardo. I mean yes, Hamilton gained something like 18 positions, but he has by far the best car, a car that could lap something like 3-4 seconds a lap faster than any of the midfield competition

1. @zjakobs

The safety car was needed because it’s impossible to roll a car which has such a high amount of damage.

1. @f190 yeah, I suppose I didn’t really make my position on the SC very clear, I was a little confused as to whether or not Charlie Whiting was paying any attention to what I thought was a precedent set during the German GP, and looking at it as if the German GP SC controversy never happened, the SC was the right decision today

14. 9/10

Fantastic race and great fight for victory and championship, but luck was a bit too big factor for 10/10.

15. That is a freaking 11. Danny RIC is a legend. But Fernando Alonso you beaut! #EpicDefending

1. Michael (@freelittlebirds)
      27th July 2014, 18:35

That’s why F1F needs to add 11 for races that exceed 10:-)

1. @freelittlebirds or they could just add a button that says “Alonso/Ricciardo”, because it seems that almost every race that those two finish well is an amazing race. Solid 11/10.

16. 9/10

It was OK, I guess.

1. 10/10

Could have been better.

17. First half was a 9. The next 25 laps a 6. End was a 10. So overall a 9. Hectic race. Chaos in the first laps, then strategies building up into an epic end. Alonso and Hamilton drivers of the day. Alonso really deserves a big medal for his risky strategy.

1. Shhhh…. Bernie might be reading.

18. Absolute 10… That race had everything.

19. How much time did Nico lose behind Lewis? Would that time be more than his difference to Daniel at the end of the race?

1. Mr. @eugenius, the question to ask is if Hamilton slowed down for Rosberg to pass would he be on the podium (finish third)?

2. Better question is how much time did ROS lose behind JEV

3. Never mind. Ted is gonna analyze this on the notebook. :)

1. 10 seconds – good enough for second place in the end was Ted’s answer, for anyone who cares. :)

4. Ted’s answer is almost certainly incorrect, incidentally. If he seriously was losing 9 tenths a lap he’d have been on Hamilton’s gearbox, but he wasn’t.

5. Why did they feel the need to disrupt Hamilton’s race when they could have just called Rosberg in earlier instead and gone for two stints of a similar number of laps.

20. 10.