Rate the race: 2014 Hungarian Grand Prix

2014 Hungarian Grand Prix

Start, Hungaroring, 2014What did you think of today’s race? Share your verdict on the Hungarian Grand Prix.

Rate the race out of ten and leave a comment below:

[poll id="503"]

1 = ‘Terrible’, 10 = ‘Perfect’

You need an F1 Fanatic account to vote. Register an account here or read more about registering here. When this poll is closed the result will be displayed instead of the voting form.

See the results for past seasons here:

2014 Hungarian Grand Prix

Browse all 2014 Hungarian Grand Prix articles

Image © Ferrari/Ercole Colombo

231 comments on Rate the race: 2014 Hungarian Grand Prix

1. Daniel Brennan (@dannyisf1) said on 27th July 2014, 18:37

9/10. Only because I hat the wrong rating button! Fantastic race.

2. John H (@john-h) said on 27th July 2014, 18:51

Best race in years. The only time I’ve voted 10 actually.

• Jonny Edwards (@racectrl) said on 27th July 2014, 18:59

I might have rated Bahrain or Montreal a 10(can’t remember tbh) but this race really put a smile on my face. Very unpredictable and edge of the seat stuff. I poured myself a drink half-way thru the race and it was still untouched at the end of the race. I can’t put it any better than that. 10/10. A much better race than the track deserved.

3. sasho (@ferrist) said on 27th July 2014, 18:56

For me that was I race to remember, great batles from start to the fihish, the was probably the best race held in Hungary. I’ll give 9/10 because I still wait for the ultimate race :).
    The last couple of races are outstanding, do you remember the start of the season and the discutions about engine noise? :)))
    For me thas is Formula 1, and this is the sport I’m watching every single race since 1998.

4. pirespt (@pirespt) said on 27th July 2014, 18:57

10/10 for me. This is turning out one of the best seasons in recent memory. Really happy to go to Suzuka for my 1st GP.

5. Fixy (@fixy) said on 27th July 2014, 19:06

10/10
    Probably not perfect, but 10 is the vote that gets closest to the entertainment provided. Many good drives weren’t rewarded, namely Vergne’s, but either way it’s impossible to say Ricciardo’s win wasn’t deserved. Alonso drove an awesome race, and having the fastest cars behind, both due to starting positions, weather and Safety Car periods, allowed us to see overtakes on one of the – usually – most boring tracks of the calendar. So many mistakes at the start made for an unpredicatble situation, which was further changed by differing strategies and more accidents. And finally we saw a race where different strategies – prime tyres for one stint, or option tyres for two stints – were pretty equal in terms of time lost through pitting and tyre drop-off, but helped swap positions that had to be earned back through on-track manoeuvres. I.e., Ricciardo was ahead and returned in front after stopping one more time, whereas Alonso pitted once less but was tenths away from taking the win. Also, track conditions – and, undeniably, neutralisations – reduced the performance gap between teams and allowed certain drivers to shine.

• McKenzie (@mckenzie) said on 27th July 2014, 21:13

@fixy

I also voted 10 because of the sheer, entertainment value. We didn’t expect to see the result that we did see.

No doubt there are technical reasons why the race wasn’t a perfect 10. But Mrs McKenzie and me enjoyed the race so much we will be watching the Beeb highlights again in a few minutes. We’ll keep the recording too, something we rarely do.

So it was a 10 for me.

6. infernojim (@infernojim) said on 27th July 2014, 19:46

I’m really happy to see another thriller at Hungary. I am somewhat biased towards it as I’ve been to three races there, including buttons debut win in 2006 and i have always felt it to be one of the best places to watch f1 live, which is of course different to being the best race track to watch on TV. This sort of a classic and the great crowds that you always get at Hungary should hopefully keep it on the calendar for many years to come.

Outside of the marquee events like Silverstone, suzuka, spa, Monaco, and Montreal there’s no other circuit I’d be more sad to see cut from the calendar.

Keep up the good work mogyrod!

7. 6Speed (@6speed) said on 27th July 2014, 19:51

Trying to imagine this race with standing restarts I do not think it would have been as enjoyable, it sure would have been different!

8. Steven Smith (@ragwort) said on 27th July 2014, 19:52

Were they really racing in Hungary? Can’t have been. It was exciting, and I stayed awake watching it.
    So it’s a nine for me. Maybe the best race they have held there since they joined the calendar.

9. Eugen (@eugenius) said on 27th July 2014, 20:42

I voted 9 right after the race after the great ending fight but if I’m honest it’s probably an 8. Very good race just not great.

10. 6 out of 10. The two yellows and the rain just threw strategy up in the air. Vettel was lucky as was Lewis with their mishaps. Rosberg watched his 28 sec lead eaten up by the pace car. Ricardo drove superbly and Alonso showed what determination can do with a dog with no feet. Just too much randomness to give it more than a 6.

11. DDonovan1993 (@ddonovan1993) said on 27th July 2014, 22:19

The new Formula 1 is so boring, isn’t it? Another terrible race, just like Bahrain and Canada

Haha, definitely a perfect 10 for this race!

12. Dylan Mota (@mota18) said on 28th July 2014, 0:12

I gave it a 10/10
    I think this was better than Canada but not as good as Bahrain. Alonso DOTD. I would give it to Lewis but his car is much better than Alonso’s

13. Fab F1 (@fabf1) said on 28th July 2014, 7:17

10/10, Even though both drivers of the team I support, crashes out. We can’t deny that this race was one of the highlights of 2014, and good for sport. As long as F1 give this kind of action packed races, we can forget about those Engine sound issue some races. To be frank for me there was no space to think how much is the noise yesterday. If the audience comes to Grand Prix to watch this real racing, then they easily got it here. Get ever with this Silly Engine Noise and Dummy Megaphone Exhausts.

• Fab F1 (@fabf1) said on 28th July 2014, 7:19

So excited So much Typos :) Read “Engine sound issue some raises.” and “Get over with this Silly Engine Noise”

14. the_sigman (@sigman1998) said on 28th July 2014, 8:48

Clear 10 in my opinion. This was the best weekend of recent time.

Quali was great. Big names didn’t make it to Q2, and a dramatic Q3, with many names hitting the top and exchanging places, plus the chaos of the first minutes.

The race was exceptional. Close and brilliant racing, drivers giving it all, different strategies throughout the field, and a big fight for P1 and the podium till the last lap!

15. VMaxMuffin (@vmaxmuffin) said on 28th July 2014, 9:54

If there was ever going to be a 10/10 race, that was it.

There was everything – fast cars charging from the back and getting stuck mid-pack, a brilliant drive from Riccardo, a deserving winner (maybe there was a bit of luck, but he made the most of it), a brilliant fight for the top positions at the end, a (partially) wet race, general unpredictability and excitement throughout… and most importantly, the DRS was just right – not to easy, but enough to create opportunities for overtaking.