Codemasters announce F1 2014 and earlier 2015 title

2014 F1 season

Codemasters have announced details of their upcoming Formula One games based on the 2014 and 2015 seasons.

F1 2014 will follow the pattern of their previous four Formula One titles and appear on October 17th in Xbox 360, PlayStation 3 and PC formats.

Codemasters F1 2015 artworkIt will be followed earlier than usual by a new title which will take advantage of “new generation platforms”, likely to include the Xbox One and PlayStation Four. In another first for Codemasters’ F1 series, this game will be updated as the season unfolds.

This year’s game will include all the latest updates to the teams, drivers and circuits roster.

“F1 2014 recreates this year’s incredible season featuring all the seismic changes to the sport, including new turbocharged cars, new circuits plus all the driver moves.”

There will also be further changes to the dynamics of the game including “refined handling on a pad and a new driver evaluation system that tunes game settings to your skill level to increase accessibility – we want all of our players to race competitively, more quickly”.

“Of course, all the veterans of the series will be able to experience the true challenge of racing this year’s stunning generation of cars, featuring more explosive power delivery but less downforce, by customising your options and turning off all the assists.”

Update: Codemasters have confirmed their “new generation” F1 title will also be available for PC.

2014 F1 season

Browse all 2014 F1 season articles

98 comments on Codemasters announce F1 2014 and earlier 2015 title

1. Damonw said on 31st July 2014, 13:10

They definitely need a new graphics engine to show off the true power of next gen, the games have basically been the same graphics wise since the first installment. 60fps wouldn’t go amiss either, should be able to achieve that without much difficulty.

2. “The game will launch earlier in the Formula One season and then go onto receive live digital updates,” Codemasters confirmed. “These updates will deliver 2015 content into the game as the season unfolds, ensuring you’ll be competing against the same drivers and teams you watch week in and week out.”

Based on the GRID 2 and GRID Autosport experience and knowing how Codemasters tend to take a long while to release patches and how they tend to forget to address the most important issues with their games, focusing only on minor adjustments I do take the idea that this will work well with a very high dose of skepticism.

3. JamieFranklinF1 (@jamiefranklinf1) said on 31st July 2014, 14:11

Visually, I really don’t see any difference to the last title. I know graphics aren’t everything, and the gameplay may have been improved a lot, but that’s of little comfort to me when I’ve already made the switch to next-gen. Was really hoping it would be on PS4.

4. PeterG said on 31st July 2014, 14:30

I’ll be waiting before I buy any future codemasters F1 games until I know there bug-free.

I brought F1 2010-2013 & every single game was littered with bugs on launch, And most infuriatingly they were the exact same bugs every time (Save game bug for example).

Any game that requires a dozen post release patches over the 1st month of its release should frankly have not been released when it was as it clearly wasn’t ready.

5. Dave124 (@dave124) said on 31st July 2014, 14:41

I rarely comment (at all actually) but I felt like I should here. Stop playing and buying these half finished, bug ridden, graphics are the only positive games from code masters. If you want a true F1 game pick up a copy of Grand Prix 4. Yeah the graphics are dated but the game play is un-matched and there is a dedicated community who are working to keep the game alive and up to date. I’m still holding out that Geoff Crammond will come out of hiding and announce Grand Prix 5 but I think there’s more chance of Max Chilton scoring a point in his f1 career than that. But yeah, code masters make a fun arcade game for casual 3 lap limit online players. If you want to experience driving 78 laps of Monaco in the wet. Grand Prix 4 is the game your looking for…imo of course ;)

6. petebaldwin (@petebaldwin) said on 31st July 2014, 15:24

Disappointing 2014 will only be last gen but I’m happy to wait for a game released near the start of the season! By the time 2014 is released, we’ll only have 3 races remaining in the season!

In regards to the updates, I’d love them to follow FIFA’s path with real-life scenarios to play based on the previous Grand Prix.

This week, you could perhaps drive the final 10 laps as Hamilton on old tyres trying to overtake Alonso with Rosberg closing up quickly on fresh rubber. After Bahrain, you could be Rosberg trying to make the move stick etc.

7. Formula-I (@f1indofans) said on 31st July 2014, 15:35

And….. They fail McLaren nose again and no sponsors update

8. Kieran said on 31st July 2014, 16:14

Is the Martini branding removed from the Game or just the Ad? political correctness gone mad. Maybe the should block out Ranstand ? that could be worse recruiting me into a job and career path and destroying my true path to Caterham simulator Driver

9. Rigi (@rigi) said on 31st July 2014, 16:32

i’ll still buy it. i don’t live in one of the worlds richest countries for nothing ;)

seriously though, the game looks the same, but i know that i’ll just give in and buy it eventually, so i’m just going to pre-order it.

a shame they couldn’t get the martini livery on the williams.

10. Jules Winfield (@jules-winfield) said on 31st July 2014, 20:13

I’ll stick with F1 ’97 on the PS1, thank you.

11. Justin (@thejwooly) said on 31st July 2014, 22:15

Interesting the lack of in-game audio. Engine sounds will probably be poor as they have been in previous F1 Codemasters game. (Not a complaint of the new engine regs, just complaining about the engine sounds in previous Codie games). This probably won’t be able to tear me away from iRacing, but I may get it anyway just to have something fun-ish to play if I take a drop week or something.

12. RyanDixon (@ryandixon) said on 31st July 2014, 23:52

Until we get specific dates on when this updated newer game comes out we cannot say we will not buy or we will buy it. I mean, earlier than usual could mean roughly Spanish GP time or it could be on the shelf for Spa weekend. Then again, we will all end up buying it and playing it to death regardless of whether or not it is actually a new game or a skin pack so to speak.

13. airtone said on 1st August 2014, 13:43

Codemasters graphics are nice but their games are too buggy and arcade-like, and their cr.ppy replay system (pardon my French here) hasn’t evolved since F1 2010.

Anyway, why not allowing competition between 2 developers publishing games – just like PES against FIFA – like in the old days? That would force Codemasters to up their game and REALLY improve the series. I guess there is some sort of exclusivity contract but when it runs out it wouldn’t be a bad idea, imo.

14. Jorn (@curbshifter) said on 1st August 2014, 22:20

all I gotta say; smart to leave out the sound of the video.

I got the 2013 version. And im 100% sure ‘Project CARS’ will be a much better game. Its made by and for race fans, not just for making a buck.

15. James (@jaymz) said on 3rd August 2014, 17:16

Looks terrible and it will be horrible to play.