Montezemolo scorns ‘senseless Alonso rumours’

F1 Fanatic Round-up

Luca di Montezemolo, Fernando Alonso, Ferrari, Circuit de Catalunya, 2014In the round-up: Ferrari president Luca di Montezemolo rubbishes reports Fernando Alonso could be lured to another team but says nothing about the questions over his own future.

Links

Your daily digest of F1 news, views, features and more.

Montezemolo remembers Enzo Ferrari (Ferrari)

“As is the case every summer, there is unfounded gossip about alleged problems with senseless rumours bandied about, such as the ones relating to Alonso’s contract or those of drivers’ salaries.”

Ecclestone bribery case now closed (Belfast Telegraph)

“The court said today that the payment was made on time.”

Caterham warned against pay driver (Autosport)

“I don’t really worry about my race seat. There are always rumours, but it’s simple: getting the team eighth, ninth (in the championship) or whatever would be difficult with a pay driver.”

The First Time – with Sauber’s Esteban Gutierrez (F1)

“When was your first big accident in a race car?
EG: That was in pre-season testing in Formula BMW. It was quite a shunt – but there was no harm to me.”

Tweets

Comment of the day

A trenchant view on the performance of Mercedes’ drivers from Eric:

I wouldn’t place either of the Mercedes driver’s in the top ten even. Their season has, so far, been riddled with mistakes. Small ones and big ones.

Vettel and Hulkenberg have made far fewer mistakes combined than either of the Mercedes drivers have made so far. Vettel had two spins, one in third practice in Bahrain which damaged his floor and the one in Hungary which pretty much sealed his already-ruined-by-Safety-Car race.

Hulkenberg hit Perez in a really clumsy move in Hungary. That’s about it really.

Now compare that to the Mercedes drivers. If lost count at how many times Hamilton has messed up qualifying. If I had a nickel for every time I heard someone say ‘this track is Hamilton’s track, he will get pole easy’, well, I would have gotten at least a few nickels.

And Rosberg has been out-qualified quite a few times by other cars. How does that happen?

Seriously though, both Rosberg and Hamilton have made plenty of mistakes already. And I suppose they should be given some room for error being in a tight battle for the championship and all but I can’t remember Vettel making this many mistakes in 2012 or 2010 for that matter.
Eric (@Baron-2)

From the forum

Happy birthday!

Happy birthday to F1George, Dan_The_Mclaren_Fan and Kirill!

If you want a birthday shout-out tell us when yours is via the contact form or adding to the list here.

On this day in F1

1994 F1 seasonMichael Schumacher won the Hungarian Grand Prix on this day 20 years ago.

An article on this race, which also saw Jos Verstappen take his first podium finish, will appear later today as part of F1 Fanatic’s retrospective on the 1994 F1 season.

Image © Ferrari/Ercole Colombo

85 comments on Montezemolo scorns ‘senseless Alonso rumours’

1. Chris (@mccosmic) said on 14th August 2014, 14:13

I think the COTD is ridiculous. Whilst I value different perspectives the one outlined here is an extremely narrow one. There are so many more things to consider when subjectively measuring these drivers over half a season. For me LH and NR are a solid 3rd and 4th in that order. With Rosberg falling down on his racer-craft ability when compared to the other drivers. Other factors to be considered are the new regs producing more torquey difficult to drive cars, Merc has the faster car and the most evenly matched driver pairing which will naturally increase the pressure and the likelihood of mistakes. As a fan this is what I want to see, top level talent winning and making mistakes. It’s a big part of the drama and should be rewarded in my view when appraising performance. Going round a circuit relatively unchallenged, within your limits is quite frankly boring (Vettel’s 9 wins on the trot last season). I also think the saying that the best drivers drive the best cars, has something in it. Whilst it’s not an absolute, the behind the scenes driver activity which pushes car development is also a factor and I think the Merc drivers are doing a terrific job to max out their car performance when they need to in the races. I also note that Keith is specific about using data on car performance as a criteria in his selection. If we only measure by mistakes then the whole idea of having a meaningful appraisal in my view is a waste of time. For the record I put DR first and FA a close second simply because they have outperformed significantly their illustrious team mates and taken the opportunities they’ve been given. Can’t wait for Spa.

2. kartik said on 14th August 2014, 14:45

Im a seb fan but i completely disagree with COTD.
    He doesn’t perform well at all for what ever reasons and he was justfied with 7th on the rankings list.
    May be i will put him at 6th because im his fan but surely no higher than that as he doesn’t justify his performance in 1st half to be one of the top 5 drivers.
    I hope the 2nd half allows Seb to get on top of his car and then we can see how he fight with his new team mate who has covered him in every way

• Girts (@girts) said on 14th August 2014, 15:36

I think it is important to understand that Vettel’s struggles this year have not made him a worse driver or a less worthy world champion.

All the great drivers struggle at some point during their careers and this year Vettel simply has not perfectly adapted to the new technical rules (yet). He has also had more strategic misfortunes and more reliability issues than Ricciardo and otherwise has not done much worse than the Honey Badger. I will not be surprised if Vettel regularly beats Ricciardo and wins a couple of races in the second half of the season.

• Kartik said on 14th August 2014, 17:11

I think he under performed in china race , Bahrain later stages , Austria Q these are on top of my head now, but over all he shown that he was getting to grips of car , he should have gotten it earlier if he have a bit less reliability issues but what ever happened he was going in the right direction now , lets see how 2nd Half of the season can pan out.
        But major question is reliability as he was on the knife edge with using near maximum quota of the PU Components. Will he get the reliability to get the learning process going or not is going to be answer in the next 3 months

• Kartik said on 14th August 2014, 18:12

@girts
        Sorry i forgot to add this previous message

• Thing is he is a 4xWC dude, he is one of most disrespected champions aswell i have ever seen. People should think he was golden boy but when winning we were like, Nah he is not all that. And then this year he is being destroyed.

3. To be honest the COTD shows why a ranking idea quickly dissolves into ridiculous hair-splitting. Even when two drivers are in the same car, it’s almost impossible to “control” for things out of their control. It’s not like there is some complete account of all the “mistakes” made by every driver and there is certainly no way to know whether and when he has truly maximized his car. This is not tennis, or law school. I think a grading system works better. It doesn’t obviate hair-splitting but it makes it less relevant to the outcome.

4. SauberS1 (@saubers1) said on 14th August 2014, 22:24

Kobayashi is talking well. :)

5. James said on 15th August 2014, 9:49

I have to disagree with Kobayashi, whilst we stereotype the pay driver as being worse than a ‘paid’ driver, this mentality cannot continue, Grosjean is a pay driver, Perez is a pay driver, VDG is a pay driver. I see more future in those drivers than I do for the likes of Kobayashi or Kovailainen. Also the fact that Erriccson is ahead of Kobayashi in the WDC shows how unfair the points system is, the fact that a backmarkers whole season relies on one race disproves Kobayashi’s theory, it’s a case of being in the right place at the right time, that is why KK is 22nd in the WDC and the fact he’s in the worst car on the grid. If Caterham were to hire two ‘paid’ drivers it is very likely they will still finish last in the WCC.