Ricciardo satisfied by “calculated” win

2014 Belgian Grand Prix

Daniel Ricciardo, Red Bull, Spa-Francorchamps, 2014Daniel Ricciardo said his third F1 win was due to a more calculating approach than his previous two victories.

Ricciardo won the Canadian and Hungarian Grands Prix after making late passes for the lead, but held on to first place in Belgium by making one pit stop fewer than Nico Rosberg.

“It was difficult staying out at the end of the race,” said Ricciardo.

“When you’re the leader as well you always feel like you’re the most vulnerable when it comes to a pit stop or not, but Simon [Rennie] my engineer came on the radio and said I think it’s 11 laps left, can these tyres get to the end?

“And I said I think I can keep more or less this pace, and we were able to. Then on the last lap I found a couple more tenths, so I was having a bit of fun then.

“There’s been a lot of good things about the win today, obviously the last two came from a more aggressive style of race, but today was more calculated and it was nice to win under different circumstances.”

Red Bull had been expected to struggle on the Spa-Francorchamps circuit due to its long straights and their car’s lack of horsepower. “Everyone was saying we didn’t really have a chance around here,” said Ricciardo, “but I think we had some really good pace today and surprised ourselves”.

“It feels a bit surreal, but another win is very cool, very cool.”

2014 Belgian Grand Prix

Browse all 2014 Belgian Grand Prix articles

Image © Red Bull/Getty

29 comments on Ricciardo satisfied by “calculated” win

1. JCost (@jcost) said on 24th August 2014, 17:52

Dan, once again, did a great job. He picks up every opportunity and utilizes his speed and ability to nurse his tyres very well. If the combination of R11 chassis with Renault’s power unit next year is a bit better than this year and Daniel Ricciardo keeps his form, he will be fighting for WDC.

2. JackySteeg (@jackysteeg) said on 24th August 2014, 18:08

The battle for best-of-the-rest has been immensely close, yet it’s always Ricciardo who capitalises when things go wrong for Mercedes. He’s the real deal.

Interestingly all of his wins have happened despite starting behind his teammate. Have to say Vettel missed a golden opportunity here. He messed up his shot at leading on lap 1, losing 2nd place to Rosberg in the process and then another error lost him a place to Ricciardo. I wonder if Dan can maintain his advantage over Seb when Red Bull get back on top.

3. Neil (@seyrine) said on 24th August 2014, 18:09

Two of his three victories was on circuits that the Red Bull had a disadvantage considering the Renault PU. If it wasn’t for the overwhelming performance of the Merc works team, I would’ve given Daniel here a pretty good chance to win the WDC in his first year in Red Bull.

Ricciardo a future WDC? If I was a betting man, I’d bet on it.

• kartik said on 25th August 2014, 2:37

Why future if the Current situation goes like it is , i expect him to win the WDC this year.
      Go Ricci

4. George (@george) said on 24th August 2014, 18:41

Looks like Red Bull chose right with the low downforce setting, Ferrari by comparison went backwards. They don’t get enough praise for their strategy and race prep, probably the best team on the grid in that regard.

5. Slowhands (@slowhands) said on 24th August 2014, 18:59

Everyone is acting like the WCC is a foregone conclusion. I know 2 people for whom it is not so, and that is Toto Wolff and Niki Lauda. If ROS and HAM keep knocking each other around, and Danny Boy keeps swooping in to pick up the scraps, with double points in the last race he could make it very interesting. This guy is the real deal– clearly has all the driving tools and mental maturity beyond his age and experience. He is cool and clear thinking, able to think tactically and strategically during the heat of battle, and actually looks like he is having fun. He will be a GREAT champion, Senna-esque in his popularity, if he just keeps doing what he’s doing and they give him the car he needs (which seems likely next year).

6. Hamilton could learn a thing or two about Ricciardo his attitude.

7. You have got that right I am still celebrating Daniels and team victory could not be happier maybe a bit more if Sebastian came 2nd would have been nice Bottas also strong and a great competetor

8. Still not beleiving how crowd booed Rosberg at final. Hamilton finally gets a taste of his own medicine and finds it sour. Rosberg fought back for his postion.Many times before he has been the recipient of Hamiltons me at all cost attitude

9. greg-c (@greg-c) said on 24th August 2014, 23:00

Did DanRic call horner ” big homie” on the radio ,
    Bhahahaaaaaa

Classic

10. One thing I’ve noticed is that when Dan has won, Helmut Marko has actually had a smile on his face (compared to when Webber won for RBR when the look on his face often read like “What’s he doing winning? It should have been Seb”). I wonder though if its because of Dans or if its because with Seb struggling (of sorts), and wins are harder to come by now that he’s just happy his team has won?

Either way, another great win by the young Aussie :-)

11. bull mello (@bullmello) said on 25th August 2014, 0:26

Cheers to Daniel Ricciardo! He is such a breath of fresh air. Great talent and aggressive driving when it makes sense. I would love to see him win WDC. Stranger things have happened. :-)

12. kartik said on 25th August 2014, 2:46

Great Driving Daniel , I can say Vet and RIC line up is looking like Best or 2nd best Line up if you say Kimi and Fred are best(with out a decent car ofcourse). If Dan wins the WDC by chance(yes a big luck is needed for him considering the MERC advantage as we all know) that would mean RBR have 2 WDC’s from their YDP.

13. Races won from lower than 3rd;