Pirelli has confirmed F1 teams will be invited to participate in an extended test to run its new ultra-soft tyre for the first time.
The session will take place at the Yas Marina circuit in Abu Dhabi on December 1st, two days after the final race of the season. “Teams have been asked to run preferably race or reserve drivers, and they will not be allowed to try new parts nor alter the cars during the test,” according to Pirelli.
The test will be open to all teams, who may enter one car each, but participation is not mandatory.
As well as testing the new ultra-soft tyre, which is set for introduction next year, Pirelli will use the session to develop a new construction for next year’s tyres.
The ultra-soft tyres will have purple colouring, which was chosen after an online poll of F1 fans.
2015 F1 season
- Over 100 driver penalties issued in record-breaking 2015
- Part-time racer? The facts of Hamilton’s ‘jet-set lifestyle’
- A unique atmosphere: Going to the Italian Grand Prix at Monza
- The Complete F1 Fanatic 2015 season review
- Your favourite – and least favourite – F1 races of 2015