Former Renault and Benetton team principal Flavio Briatore says Mercedes’ policy of letting both drivers fight for the world championship is costing the team.
Nelson Piquet Jnr has broken his silence over the 2008 Singapore Grand Prix conspiracy.
Flavio Briatore and Pat Symonds have agreed not to pursue further legal action against the FIA over the 2008 Singapore Grand Prix scandal. In exchange for the FIA dropping the case the pair have agreed not to have any “operational role” in Formula 1 until the end of 2012, or any other FIA competition until … Continue reading Briatore and Symonds accept three-year F1 ban in Singapore crash settlement
The FIA has confirmed it will appeal the Tribune de Grande Instance’s verdict against its decision to ban Flavio Briatore and Pat Symonds from motor racing. However it also admitted it would not prevent drivers managed by Briatore, such as Mark Webber, from competing in F1 as it had previously threatened: While the appeal is … Continue reading FIA starts Briatore appeal but softens stance
The Singapore crash affair is by no means over: I cannot imagine the FIA letting Tuesday’s verdict in favour of Flavio Briatore lie, and Briatore himself has said he may bring further lawsuits. But now the verdict is out there and the principal players have all said their pieces, it’s time to take stock. The … Continue reading Briatore’s victory gives the FIA a tough lesson in the limits of its power
Flavio Briatore has successfully overturned his lifetime ban from motor racing.
As Flavio Briatore faces exclusion from Formula 1 (pending the outcome of his case against the FIA next month) and possible ousting from Queens’ Park Rangers football club, it’s no surprise he’s in a hurry to downsize his property portfolio. He had this New York apartment on the market for $38m previously, but has now … Continue reading Briatore sells $25m New York apartment
Earlier in the weekend Fernando Alonso was doing everything he could to rebuff questions about the scandal he and Renault were embroiled in. But having taken a fine and controversy-free third place at Singapore, Alonso decided to dedicate his podium to the pariah of the paddock, Flavio Briatore: I dedicate this podium to Flavio – … Continue reading Alonso praises Briatore after podium
The FIA has formally published the widely-leaked evidence relating to Renault’s Singapore trial, along with various other documents including a 76-minute recording of the discussion at yesterday’s World Motor Sports Council meeting. The material can be downloaded from the FIA website. Although there isn’t much in the documents that hasn’t already been made public, there … Continue reading Who is Renault’s “Witness X”?
Max Mosley refused to acknowledge the craven manner in which the FIA backed down from punishing Renault yesterday. He insisted the team received “the harshest [penalty] we can impose”, which was patently false given that they kept all the points and money earned by their ill-gotten victory, and have not been banned from any events. … Continue reading Mosley says Renault got the ‘harshest penalty’ but hardly anyone agrees
Nelson Piquet Jnr has issued a statement following the Renault verdict in which he tries to wash his hands of the conspiracy. Rather optimistically, he sets out his case for why he feels he should get an F1 drive in 2010: I can only hope that a team will recognise how badly I was stifled … Continue reading Nelson Piquet Jnr wants F1 return
An (un-bylined) article in the Daily Express suggests Flavio Briatore and Pat Symonds may go unpunished for their role in the Renault crash scandal. Having left Renault, Briatore and Symonds are no longer represented by a licence holder, and so cannot be punished: Although the Council have unlimited power when it comes to imposing a … Continue reading No punishment for Briatore or Symonds?
A two-times F1 world champion like Fernando Alonso has no need of tainted triumphs handed to him in a corrupt fashion.
Much of the reaction to the departures of Flavio Briatore and Pat Symonds from Renault have so far been focussed on what it says about the Singaproe crash scandal. But the sudden loss of the managing director and director of engineering means the team are faced with a serious operational problem – assuming, of course, … Continue reading David Richards to take over at Renault?
The Renault F1 team has confirmed it will not contest the FIA’s charges against the team over the 2008 Singapore Grand Prix.
A surprising and quite telling development in the FIA’s investigation into the Renault Singapore crash came today as the governing body extended its offer of immunity to Pat Symonds. The clear implication is the FIA believe Symonds know more than he has told them so far – and suspicion will inevitably fall on the next … Continue reading Should the FIA have offered Pat Symonds immunity – and will he take it?
Since Nelson Piquet Jnr’s statement leaked online yesterday the story has exploded, commanding back-page coverage on many of Britain’s daily papers and dominating the build-up to the Italian Grand Prix. There are accusations of blackmail, complaints about the media’s handling of the story, more material appearing online and statements flying around. Here’s a quick summary … Continue reading Piquet-Renault scandal: more new evidence and complaints about leaks
As first reported here on Saturday, Nelson Piquet Jnr has been dropped by Renault. And a statement from the Brazilian today gives insight into the simmering resentment between him and team boss Flavio Briatore. We discussed the Renault situation last week and there was some disagreement over whether Briatore had compromised Piquet in trying to … Continue reading Piquet’s scathing attack on Briatore
Nelson Piquet Jnr looks increasingly unlikely to finish the season with Renault. Rumours have intensified since the Hungarian Grand Prix that he will be replaced at the team by Romain Grosjean. And details have emerged of a row between Renault boss Flavio Briatore, the driver, and his three-times champion father:
Renault?σΤιΌΤδσs title sponsor ING has confirmed what was widely expected ?σΤιΌΤΗ£ that it will not continue its F1 activities beyond the end of 2009. As well as sponsoring the French team, ING also backed the Australian, Hungarian and Belgian Grands Prix in 2008. Faced with the loss of such a major backer, will Renault cut … Continue reading ING quits F1 ?σΤιΌΤΗ£ will Renault follow?