Monza – spectators’ experiences

This discussion page is closed. If you want to discuss going to the Italian Grand Prix please go to the new discussion forum here: Going to the Italian Grand Prix

Tell us about your experiences of visiting the Autodromo Nazionale Monza.

You may wish to include:

• When you visited the track
  • Where you watched from
  • How easy it was to get to
  • How much of the track you could see
  • What support races there were
  • What you liked and didn’t like
  • How much it cost and whether it was good value

Please use the reply box below to leave your comments.

Are you going to the 2011 Italian Grand Prix? Chat with other F1 fans who are going to the race here: 2011 Italian Grand Prix discussion

105 comments on Monza – spectators’ experiences

1. hello i have 2 tickets for Grand Prix F1 monza with a best price contact me at schumucher_g.k@live.fr

2. HI
    I’ve 2 tickets for Italian GP for the “Tribunetta Traguardo”, in the center of the starting grid. Please Contact me at Wcfbro@tin.it for info.

3. Was there in 2005 with GA tickets. Hard to get a good spot with GA but if you go to entrance to parabolica you can see the big screen if you look over your shoulder do its a good spot.
    WHATEVER YOU DO GO TO THE BANKING. Oficially its not open but its easilly accesable at the end near the first chicane bring a drink with you and savour the experience.
    INVADE THE TRACK as soon as the race is over and run under the podium. I got sprayed with Fisis champagne after he came 3rd. Then go and walk the entrire lap of the track

4. Monza 2009

It was the first time I went to a F1 grand prix. The atmosphere was awesome! The speed and noise of the cars was breathtaking.
    We were a group of 8 people 2 Indians, 2 Americans and 4 Italians. All suuporting Ferrari except for the 2 Indians supporting force India.
    We had our Indian cricket shirts on and carrying a big Indian flag! Everybody noticed and were very friendly. A swiss fan made a comment” we have been here for the last 15 years and the first time seeing Indian supporters! They then very kindly gave us a gin and tonic. We sat in the stands of the 1st Variant (330 euro), too expensive , no cover either and stone slabs to sit on.
    90% of supporters were Ferrari and 2 Indians. The atmosphere was very very friendly and good banter amongst different supporters. I got a lot of lip when Hamilton crashed in the last lap! (being British). I did give them a hard time about Ficicella deserting Force India to ferrari and not performing well, so I deserved it. They did share our cold Baccardi and Coke!!!

Does anyone have any pictures of 2 people with blue cricket shirts waving an Indian Flag?? Either photos or tv coverage.Please direct me to the website.

• I saw you on the big screen… I’m Indian too, my dad mentioned the cricket tops (that’s his sport, not F1)

I think we I got a picture of you guys/the flag – I was at 6B (opposite you)

5. Chris W said on 18th September 2009, 10:42

Monza 2009

I didn’t know I was going to Monza this year until the wednesday afternoon. Due to work commitments i could only go for the sunday. I flew into Milan Malpensa airport at 22.30 on saturday night, got the shuttle bus outside the terminal ($7.50 euros) into milano centrale and then the train up to Monza. There was a fantastic festival atmosphere in Monza centre. Had a beer and made way to track. Tip DON’T try and walk from Monza to the autodrome it is miles (although very well signposted.) Got into campsite at 2am in the morning. Pitched tent and slept until 6. I was stood in General Admission at the end of back straight with a clear view of entry into parabolica. Tip: get there early if you are GA, i was in the stands at 08.45 and managed to get a fantastic view high up. The Food was lovely and no way near as expensive as Silverstone is. I was wearing a mclaren shirt and i didn’t suffer one instance of abuse for it. The support races were entertaining, at the spot I was in you are very close (30ft) to the track and the F1 itself was just stunning. You could physically see the mclaren pushing and pushing to try and maximise its poor 2 stop strategy. I will definetly be going again, might be looking for a like minded race enthusiast as my fiancee doesn’t much care for F1. Remember sun cream and if you are general admission, get your water and food before finding a seat. I was lucky, i buddied up with a Brawn GP fan and we went for refreshments in turns but if you are on your own if you move you will lose your seat. Oh and the Italians boo Hamilton, which kind of amused me.

6. Graham Maltby said on 24th September 2009, 5:21

Monza 2009

I had 3 day tickets for Section 26A of the grandstands (pit straight). I was in line with rows 5,6 and 7 of the grid and had great views of the Brawn GP and Force India pits as well as a giant TV screen just to my left. Thought the race and atmosphere were awesome, I felt awed by the history of the place. Monza is one of my favourite circuits so to be there was mind blowing. I went own my own, found this okay as there are usually a few other people who do the same thing. I met people over the weekend who I buddied up with on the Friday and Sunday, did my own thing on the Saturday.

I stayed in Milan, got the train from Central Station to Monza then the free shuttle bus to the circuit. The transport to the circuit was well organised and regular although trains from Central Station to Monza seem to be rare. I got the 08:20 train to Monza on the Saturday and Sunday and was at the circuit for not long after 10 (I think).

All in all I had a great time and will definitley be going back at some point.

7. Mystic Pizza said on 24th September 2009, 15:14

I was at the Ascari chicane for the 2009 race. For any budding photographers forget it – the cars are too fast and the fence is too high but although it was incidentless this year you could see a fair chunk of tarmac. You can take in your own food and drink as these were pricy inside the circuit e.g. €6 for a large beer, €2 for 500ml bottle of water. There are a couple of local supermarkets that were cheaper but remember the Sunday trading laws i.e. stock up on previous days!

If you have a grandstand ticket, the pit walkabout on Thursday was excellent and most of the drivers were signing autographs if you were prepared to be crushed. Said ticket allows roaming on Friday so for fairly good photo’s, aim for the Grandstand opposite the end of the pit lane so you can get them when they are doing practice starts.

Getting to and from the circuit was part of the package I’d purchased so I cannot comment on the best way to travel without advertising. I don’t tend to watch the support races as my bottom needs a refreshed supply of blood so I tend only to stay put for the F1 action.

This was my seventh GP in total and probably one of the best.

• Budding photographers? Anyone with a decent camera and lens should have no problem no matter what speed theyre going. Ill show you what I mean in a month when I get back from Monza.

8. Michael M said on 13th November 2009, 9:16

I was in 6B for the race and absolutely loved the experience. The downpour on Saturday night was awesome and led to some excellent support races.

To be honest Monza is simply set in the most beautiful setting. Walking in through the forest was simply wonderful while arriving to the sound of engines in the distance. There is a really historic feel to the place and I’m so glad I went.

We tried to get seats in 6C but they were sold out so settled for 6B. I am very glad we did as all the action in the GP2 and other support races was really clearly visible. When in the stand we were surrounded by Finnish Ferrari fans. They seemed to consume about half the stand, man they love their motorsport.

I am strongly considering going back next year and also possibly going to Spa to live that experience as well. I can definitely say I wasn’t disappointed with the weekend and watching the accuracy of the drivers first hand is a totally different experience!

9. Spiffy said on 13th November 2009, 12:37

I went to Monza this year. Some notes in no particular order!

– The train from Milan to Monza is dirt cheap – 1.65 for a return trip, plus on race day a free shuttle train from Centrale is provided (I forgot as I’d been getting the train from Lambrate each day…).
    – If you have a three day grandstand ticket, do go on the Thursday. I promise it’s worth it! You get to see the pitlane (though finding your way into it for the first time isn’t as simple as you’d think), the teams and the drivers much closer than you otherwise would. If there’s a particular driver you want to catch, loiter outside their garage.
    – Often it’s a case of being in the right place at the right time – I managed to run into Nico Rosberg, Rob Smedley, Tonio Liuzzi, Stefano Domenicali and Luca Di Montezemolo while just wandering around. Pitlane entrance is a good place to hang around to meet drivers coming back from their track walk.
    – There are no shuttle buses on the Thursday, so give yourself a good hour to walk from the train station to the track. The walk isn’t well signposted, so either print out a map or hope you can follow other people in teamwear who don’t really know where they’re going!
    – If you hire a Kangaroo TV, make sure you take a credit card for authentication. Their system doesn’t accept debit cards as proof of ID etc, though it doesn’t mention it on the site.
    – There is a bit of a wasp problem at Monza – take insect repellent.
    – Soft drinks are about 5 Euros a pop, so take your own.
    – The atmosphere is truly something else, even outside the track in the Parco di Monza. Obviously it’s even better if you’re a Ferrari fan. ;)
    – Do walk the banking if you get even half a chance. You’ll regret it if you don’t. Ditto for getting onto the track after the race, though actually getting through the gates isn’t good for claustrophobes. It was a bit like being down the front at a concert, but absolutely worth the discomfort in the end.
    – Advice to McLaren fans? Be thick skinned! ;) I saw no hostility towards McLaren fans themselves; however, the team were booed a bit as they moved up and down the pitlane on Thursday, and there was an eruption of cheers when Lewis crashed at the end of the race this year.
    – My ticket was for the Laterale Sinistra (the grandstand opposite the pitlane exit), which was brilliant for watching activity on the grid, the start and getting near the podium after the race, but you don’t see much ontrack action and overtaking.
    – Fancy a free F1 poster? Try the Milan tourism office in the Piazza del Duomo. There was a stack of them there this year.

10. thestig84 said on 20th November 2009, 23:49

Went last year. Fantastic!!! I meant to buy 3 day general admission ticket but only got sunday by mistake. I got a grandstand for fri and sat from ebay.

Dont try and walk from Monza train station….I did as I couldnt see any other way. Its MILES!!! I found out there is a bus but I have forgotten the number im afraid.

Friday is roaming for any ticket so good for walking the track and taking some pics. I had a rug which is handy to sit on as even the grandstands are concrete. Its nice and hot and if you look carefully there are a few water taps dotted around the place. All the spots were good for different reasons depends what you want to see. The straights are good to get a feel for the speed but bit boring after a while. Inside of parabolica is good, fantastically close but that is hard work on the neck!

Sat I had a ticket for the second chicane. It was a good spot for action and having the numbered seat was good for a bit of extra sleep point of view.

Sunday was an early start to try and get a good spot. I was going for the 1st or 2nd lesmo where there a free 3 step metal stands. I would have seen a few 1st lap passes and LH crash but chose not to as it was in the shade all day. I went for the exit of parabolica, just before pit entry. Loads of space right up the the start of the race!!! Very surprising. Turned out to be a good spot, saw a grosjean mega save which tv didnt catch and watching LH totally flat out every single lap was unreal. I would probably pay the little extra for grandstand tickets next time, just to save the worry about where to sit. If you do go general admission spend the saved money on a kangaroo tv. Getting crofty and ant for all sessions is invaluable.

The other reason i chose parabolica was for the track invasion. Just before the end of the race get your stuff ready and head for the gate it looks like people are going for. Its amazing, every race should have it. I sprinted down the main straight and just made it in time for the English anthem for Brawn. The atmosphere is incredible, so much fun!!

Dont worry about wearing english team wear. There were loads of Mclaren people. I just wore my cap. All i got was a bit of banter from a megaphone guy after LH crash. Was quite funny but a shame it happened especially the cheers. Hopefully the were more for the fact it meant kimi was on the podium.

For atmosphere and just the feel of the place its a MUST for any F1 fan. So please I made the effort. Good luck and enjoy it.

Oh thursday has a pitwalk for 3 day ticket holders. I didnt know this unfortunately.

11. christopher (sennaboy3) said on 5th December 2009, 12:09

Looking to get tickets for 2010 and was wondering if anyone could tell me where it is best to sit to get onto the track after the race? Was thinking about sitting in the Parabolica, can anyone comment on stands 21a,b,c,d,e? Any good campsites nearby? Thanks for any help!

12. Lance Diskan said on 22nd December 2009, 6:36

One year ago this week I fulfilled a forty-year dream by visiting Monza. There are really only two optimal times to visit this legendary track: the Italian Grand Prix Race Weekend – and the last half of December when most of Italy is ‘closed’ for Christmas observations. Our December 2008 visit was quiet, with the ability to hear the ghosts of the past who have raced this circuit, not only the current track but also the historic abandoned oval. The banking on the oval is so steep one can hardly walk it, the track surface is crumbling with age, and the ancient Armco is rusty and falling down. But (as others have termed it) a solitary walk around the track is a “sacred” experience for all who love motorsport. I’ve been to Monaco, Watkins Glen and Indy, but Monza is like no other venue in the world. Even empty of the countless tifosi, a stroll down “Via Enzo Ferrari – Engenere” as one enters the Monza Parc, one’s first glimpse of the famous round Victory Stand, seeing the flyovers covered with Compari advertising where the new track crosses the old one, watching the sublime yellow sunset as it fades in the winter mist – absolutely magical. In many ways it was an even greater experience than my subsequent visit to the Scuderia in Maranello. All hail Monza – the grandest Grand Prix venue !

13. Chris B said on 7th February 2010, 14:13

Me and a friend are going to Monza for the 2010 GP. We’re planning to stay on the Monza park campsite – the one affiliated with the circuit itself.

Has anyone had any experience with this campsite? We can’t seem to get hold of them to make a reservation.

Any help would be massively appreciated

14. christopher (sennaboy3) said on 20th February 2010, 12:30

Chris B, pls let me know if you have any success getting hold of them…I would also like to crash here for the GP. cheers!