Monza – spectators’ experiences

This discussion page is closed. If you want to discuss going to the Italian Grand Prix please go to the new discussion forum here: Going to the Italian Grand Prix

Tell us about your experiences of visiting the Autodromo Nazionale Monza.

You may wish to include:

• When you visited the track
  • Where you watched from
  • How easy it was to get to
  • How much of the track you could see
  • What support races there were
  • What you liked and didn’t like
  • How much it cost and whether it was good value

Please use the reply box below to leave your comments.

Are you going to the 2011 Italian Grand Prix? Chat with other F1 fans who are going to the race here: 2011 Italian Grand Prix discussion

105 comments on Monza – spectators’ experiences

1. Archie said on 21st February 2010, 15:35

It’s quite possibly because they have such a small capacity for camping compared to the number of grand prix visitors they are full already. The positioning of the track is in a built up area surrounded by public parks. It’s like trying to find a campsite in Richmond? Hotels in Milan are plentyful, only 15 miles from Monza but you need to book quickly, the entire contents of Monaco head for Monza F1 – it might even be a good weekend parked on the route, you’ll get P for porsch, L for Lambo all the way to spell PLAYBOY weekend away in the Supercar! As for campsites, well let me know if you make contact?

2. Dear all, we are off to the Italian Grand Prix in September this year, really looking forward to it! We have a 3 day ticket and will be arriving at Milan Malpensa around 11.30 on Friday morning, we then need to get to Milan to drop off our bags then get to Monza. Now I’ve done some research and it looks like a big logistical task. Currently im thinking that we need to get a train from malpensa airport to the train station (not the centrale) then get taxi to subway to get to hotel, then subway to centrale train station then stop at Lissone-Muggiò near Monza then walk for another half an hour. This all seems a bit much, any ideas how I can make getting around cheaper, quicker and easier!! Thanks, replies will be much appreciated!

3. dick said on 31st March 2010, 2:07

I got tickets in the first chicane…6B. I have heard horror stories about how long it can take to get to your seats if you take the wrong entrance. Do anyone know which one I should use and if they are well marked. My first trip to Monza should I’m already getting excited.

• Keith Collantine (@keithcollantine) said on 31st March 2010, 8:53

I sat there in 2007. I don’t remember getting to it being a problem in terms of getting lost, but it is very busy and the pathways aren’t huge so I would leave plenty of time.

• dick said on 31st March 2010, 15:04

Thanks Keith…much the same as Montreal I expect, the pathways are very crowded there. They are lined with vendors which makes matters worse. By the way, do you know what is up with the official Monza site? It seems to be down.

4. Jimmy Desperado said on 20th April 2010, 23:04

Hi All. We are going to Monza 2010 for the 3 days. Does anyone know if they have radio commentary in English that you can listen to on a portable radio like at Silverstone? Or do I need to get KangerooTV

Many thanks.

PS also does anyone know if you can get some kind of transport from Monza straight to Malpensa Airport to save having to go back into Milan?

5. Hi All.

I’m planning on going to Monza this year. Can’t decide which tickets to go for, my budget it kinda limited but reasonable if it’s value for money with is why I’m asking this question.

Are the general admission tickets value for money at Monza? My previous F1 experience has been at Silverstone which in my view has superb GA facilities, probably even better for this year. I can’t imagine Monza is up to the same standard, but someone please correct me if I have it wrong.

The other thing is a non-F1 fan friend will be with me so I have to keep that in mind. Other than GA I’m also considering the entry or exit to the parabolica. I guess this can be a good spot to watch the cars work, but I don’t want to be watching the cars flash by for 1h15m, to me thats not value.

Does anyone have any advice for me? Thanks

6. Anders said on 21st July 2010, 14:32

Hi everybody!
    Going to Monza for my second time!
    Bought tickets for 26A (opposite the pit/grid) this time too.
    I´m planning to visit Maranello on thursday even this time.

7. Hey gang…

Anyone have a track map or can show me areas that GA tickets can watch from? Ive read most of your posts and it sounds like the exit of paraboica is a good place to watch from with GA on race day? Where else should I go?

Im a professional photographer but obviously credentials are damn near impossible to get. Any advice for GA ticket holders would be phenomenal!

8. turbo1397 (@turbo1397) said on 15th September 2010, 17:23

hey folks, im looking for some info regarding tickets for the 2011 monza GP. firstly could anyone reccomend a reputable outlet to purchase tickets from and secondly im thinking of buying the general admission tickets as most of the others seem pretty expensive, but not sure where is accesible with the GA tickets and also when do tickets go on sale?

many thanks

• Hi turbo,

I was at Monza at the weekend, I had a stand ticket but I was somewhat surprised at how much general admission areas there are and how close it is to the track in some places. I have some photos that I will upload some time this week if I get the chance.

I always figure the best place to buy tickets from is the circuit itself. I hvae no idea when theyll be on sale though.

Hope this helps,
      Tj

• turbo1397 (@turbo1397) said on 15th September 2010, 19:09

hi tj, thanks for info..good to hear that you can get close to the action with GA tickets! ive got plenty of time to get things planned but wouldnt want to miss the tickets going on sale.. will keep my eyes peeled on the circuit website.. thanks again

9. Asa Williams said on 30th January 2011, 21:24

I was trying to decide on whether to get tickets for grandstand 6C or 8, does anyone have any suggestions?

10. lin3589 said on 22nd March 2011, 17:49

Well, I went to Monza last year (2011) and it was absolutely amazing. OK, it maybe doesn’t have the top class facilities of some of the newer tracks (the port-a-loos leave ALOT to be desired), but nothing can compare to the atmosphere there and you get a real sense of the history of the place.

We found that it was a little difficult to get to the track on the Thursday but Friday, Saturday and Sunday was no problem because of the free buses to the circuit (well, on Sunday there was a free train that takes you right to the circuit – if you’re staying in Milan that is). Be prepared for a pretty long walk through Monza park to the actual circuit entrance though. Oh and if you’re using public transport to get to the circuit on Thursday make sure you validate your bus or train ticket – we got caught out on that and it put a real dampener on the day.

We had the pit walk-about on the Thursday. It was great to walk down the pitlane but if you’re hoping to get a driver’s autograph while you’re there, well good luck to you…most drivers only barely came out for a few minutes, signed 5 or 6 autographs then went back in again. The whole thing was very badly organised.

Friday was great; I tried to visit as many grandstands as I could – 6C is pretty good if you want good pictures and videos, plus you’re right over the old track which is pretty awesome – then I went to the Ascari grandstand (16) which I wasn’t to keen on but it’s pretty cool to see the cars go through there so fast – impossible to get good pictures though – and finally, Parabolica (22) was really good and the tickets aren’t too expensive for there either plus it’s a covered grandstand.

Anyways, my “official” grandstand for the weekend was actually grandstand 5 (Piscina). Again not great if you want amazing pictures (though you are right opposite the pitlane exit so there is some opportunity for photos) but an absolutely fantastic place to see the real speed of these machines – they’re more or less doing top speed when they go past…the real reason I bought tickets here though was because I wanted to be on the main straight so I could run down it after the race – however, for some reason, the marshalls didn’t open our gate to let us out at the end of the race and we all ended up having to climb over a fence instead – it was definitely worth it though – especially considering what an avid Alonso/Ferrari fan I am…the feeling of running down the main straight at Monza with my Ferrari flag in tow while the Italian National Anthem plays in all its glory is one I’m not likely to forget in a hurry.

One thing I’ll say that I wasn’t keen on at Monza though was the wasps – there is a pretty bad wasp problem there…in fact there was a nest right behind where we were sitting. It wasn’t a huge problem but just that people should be aware that such a problem exists.

So that’s my story…if anyone wants any more info they can feel free to ask me and if you are going to Monza this year, I envy you, you’re going to have a great time :)

11. nath said on 30th May 2011, 20:59

Hi guys,

After a few years of “definately go next year” I decided I will definately go this september to Monza! :D

Im looking to camp there and buy a general admision ticket can anyone tell me what there like? Im abit short on funds which is why I dont really want to fork out for a grandstand. Do the facility workers all speak Italian? I’m currently learning to say common phrases ect but I dont want to end up ordered a curry in a bar if you get me:)

And whats it like at night on Fri/Sat/Sun anywhere to drink? and finally whats f1 rocks like? thanks

• Hi Nath,

I have stayed on the field called Camping Lesmo, free for camping and place enough when you are on time.
      25 min walk to centre Monza, Restaurante El Cordobes is great, but close to the track, warm-up seems like they ride straight trough your tent!
      Red-Bull used to have a big tent and DJ on the spot, what more do you need?

See you in Monza!
      Tim

12. Don said on 31st May 2011, 1:15

My wife and I are going to Monza- I’m a huge F1 fan and this will be my first live F1 race. We are looking for a few very good seats for sat and sunday. Are the Centrale grandstand worth it? I would love to see the start/finish and pits. Just a lot of money but this is something I’ve always wanted to do…
    Staying in Como area, wife speaks Italian- I can’t wait!!

13. JmmyDesperado said on 31st May 2011, 9:12

Opposite the pits is great all weekend watching the garages, interviews, watching for drivers, famous people etc, watching the grid set up, Martin doing the grid walk, the start……but then the race is dull while you just watch them fly past. But then you’ve got a great view of the podium after.

So it’s personal preference, you get more out of the actual racing watching from the first corner say but then again other than the race there is a whole lot of entertainment to watch from your seat. But remember also there is roving seats initially so you can sit on the pit straight for the first days even if you’ve bought first corner seats. And you can run to the podium after the race from most parts of the track.

Whatever you choose you will have a great time anyway!!!

Jim

14. Neil said on 24th June 2011, 18:58

Going to the 2011 Monza race. Huge McLaren fan, got the flags and all. Do you think the tifosi will let me live?
    Also, hoping to check out the pits on Thursday… Well excited!

15. Kim said on 1st August 2011, 1:55

My first clamber up the old banking was on my 1st trip to Italy in 1998. Our Gran Prix Tours group included the late Phil Hill , who gave us unofficial instructions on how to get to the banking. We were lucky enough to be in the Paddock club above Ferrari’s pit for the incredible sight of the track FILLED with Italians within seconds of Ferrari’s 1 – 2 finish. Unforgetable !