Monte-Carlo – spectators’ experiences

This discussion page is closed. If you want to discuss going to the Monaco Grand Prix please go to the new discussion forum here: Going to the Monaco Grand Prix

Rubens Barrichello, Honda, Monte-Carlo, 2006Tell us about your experiences of visiting the Monte-Carlo street circuit.

You may wish to include:

• When you visited the track
  • Where you watched from
  • How easy it was to get to
  • How much of the track you could see
  • What support races there were
  • What you liked and didn’t like
  • How much it cost and whether it was good value

Please use the reply box below to leave your comments.

Are you going to the 2011 Monaco Grand Prix? Chat with other F1 fans who are going to the race here: 2011 Monaco Grand Prix discussion

339 comments on Monte-Carlo – spectators’ experiences

1 8 9 10
  1. Miruna said on 14th September 2011, 9:06

Hi Ed,

Can you give me your available balcony packages for saturday and sunday?

Thanks again,
    Miruna

• FugareF1 Ed (@fugaref1-ed) said on 14th September 2011, 11:06

Hi Miruna

Just working my way through the posts. Sure will, email me so I can reply with the details – ed at fugare1 dot com.

Regards
      Ed

2. Oscar Gallegos said on 19th October 2011, 18:55

Hi!… I am planning to go for the first time to the FI Monaco’s Grand Prix. I will appreciate any advice to buy the best benefit- cost tickets (is there any package including open bar just for sunday?). I have somethings to do at Nice until sunday morning, so I am interested to assist only during the sunday’s final. My budget is about 3,000 Euros for two people (1,500 each for my wife and I). Any good recommendation?…. thank you very much in advance.

3. FugareF1 Ed (@fugaref1-ed) said on 19th October 2011, 21:26

Hi Oscar and welcome to F1Fanatic.

You can get some very good options for that budget, if you would like me to send you details email me and I will forward them to you.

Best wishes
    Ed

4. SteveK said on 21st October 2011, 20:43

Does anyone know when the tickets get delivered?

I bought my tickets in August, CC’s been charged, and got a transaction confirmation screen and # but it also said that the ACM was on holidays during the month of August. I haven’t heard anything since. Should I call them or is this normal as the race is still 7 months away?

Thanks

• Caroline said on 22nd October 2011, 6:55

I didn’t get the screen print for some reason, so dropped them an e-mail. They have confirmed the booking is made. Tickets are usually sent out January/February time.

5. Stoddy said on 23rd October 2011, 10:11

Hello fellow F1 fanatics, myself and 2 mates are planning to go to Monaco next year. Drive down and camp as near as possible to the track and then sit in some decent seats. Can anyone offer me any advice on where is best to camp and some tickets that cost no more than £500 but offer decent views? My mates are adamant they want a seat with a big screen in front, but I was thinking we could chip in and get a fan vision. The seats with screen views seem to be all £700 plus.

I went to Spa in Aug general admission and got a great view at the bus-stop chicane but had to get there early. I hear Monaco is a no go for GA. Any assistance greatly appreciated.

• Caroline said on 23rd October 2011, 10:24

I wouldn’t bank on just Fanvision for Monaco. For some reason it didn’t work properly this year – we had to rely on the screens for qualifying as it didn’t work and had problems on the race day as well with it. The other thing is the commentary this year ended when they stopped the race, so the last part of the race after the restart was reliant on the on track commentary. We ended up getting a refund and we were not on our own. We had some Americans by us, and they all had Fanvision and all had issues with it not working. Felt sorry for the guy who had bought the new version rather than rented it, he didn’t get anything all weekend! When we took it back to the office – a challenge in itself as the roads etc were all closed off as it is above the station and the police were trying to restrict the flow of people into the station, everyone was complaining about the issues with it not working. Fanvision did not even have their own stand this year, instead using an agent, which made us wonder if they had had issues the previous year so had decided to let someone else take the flack.

We always opt for Grandstand K, but I think that is one of the most popular grandstands as it is on the harbour front, and stands 1 and 2 are the most popular as if you get it right you can see them come out of the tunnel, down the hill, around the front of the harbour and into the swimming pool, so from a spectator experience it is excellent and the screen is massive – not like the screens that are at other circuits.

• FugareF1 Ed (@fugaref1-ed) said on 24th October 2011, 21:00

Hi Stoddy

You can most certainly get tickets with a view of a large screen for your budget, maybe not the best grandstand but certainly a half decent one…e.g. T (low). Or for just over £500 you can get K (low).

Check out the ACM website (automobile club de monaco) at http://www.formula1monaco.com for the best pricing if you are just looking for ticket only. Unless a company (like ours) is adding value for you in some way you shouldn’t pay more for ticket only than you pay from the ACM.

For Sector Rocher – personally I would rather sit in a bar with a cold beer and watch it on TV than go to Rocher but have a read through some of the previous posts here and you will get some first hand experiences. Also check out youtube and you will be able to see the view from there (and the conditions!).

On your other points – I agree with Caroline, FanVision is great when it works but as an individual they can be a pain in the neck to collect and return, and if they don’t work or work intermittently then that is wasted time. I say “as an individual” because as Caroline mentions they no longer have kiosks in Monaco so you have to queue and collect from their agent, whereas we order hundreds so have them delivered…much easier, but ordering hundreds to avoid the queuing is overkill :)

Hope that helps, if I can help further don’t hesitate to post or email me directly.

All the best
      Ed

6. Stoddy (@stoddy1980) said on 23rd October 2011, 12:05

Thank you Caroline, good advice. I wont be relying on fanvision and will make sure we get a screen. The K seats look good from pics I’ve just seen. O looks decent too. What Im thinking of doing is getting the Thursday seats free, Pitwalk Friday, Sat just get some ‘cheap’ seats, maybe even go GA. Sunday get some proper seats in K or O.

7. Monika said on 23rd October 2011, 22:01

I am looking to book two best tickets to go in may 2012! I have been looking at different options but is very confusing what’s best! I found a website that offers hospitality tickets at cafe Paris, it sounds good to me, but not sure how good the view would be? They want £500 for both days pp. Please could anyone help me with picking the best seats!?

• FugareF1 Ed (@fugaref1-ed) said on 24th October 2011, 20:48

Hi Monika

I would recommend you spend your money on a good grandstand over the Cafe de Paris…it is not a good race viewing location.

Have a look at K or T grandstand instead on the Automobile Club de Monaco website (www.formula1monaco.com).

If I can be of any more help please don’t hesitate to get in touch.

Best wishes
      Ed

• Monika said on 25th October 2011, 20:37

Thanks a lot for that Ed, and what’s like the hotel in Nice called Bosco or something, it’s 5 star? Any good access to Monaco from that hotel?

• FugareF1 Ed (@fugaref1-ed) said on 26th October 2011, 13:36

Hi Monika, there are 3 boscolo hotels in nice, the 5* one is the Boscolo Nice (or the Boscolo Exedra) not far from some of our hotels on boulevard victor hugo. Location is ok for getting to the train station or leaving nice by car to get to Monaco, you wouldn’t have any problems from there.

The other boscolo hotels are 4* (the B4 plaza and the B4 park) both good locations but last time i stayed in either (maybe 2010 i think) i found them tired and needing a refurbishment, service was average. Not sure if any work has been done on them since.

When the exedra first opened it was a nice enough hotel but service was far from 5* – i was so unimpressed i haven’t stayed there since. As an alternative…if i’m not staying in one of the 3* hotels we use or the 4* le meridien when i’m in Nice i always stay in the Palais de la mediterranee instead, 4* deluxe and i always find the service to be excellent although partial sea view rooms are on the small side.

Hope that helps, if there is anything else let me know.
          Ed

8. RandomCamden (@randomcamden) said on 10th November 2011, 16:50

After reading all the posts in this forum many times over, we’ve decided on seats in Grandstand N. We’re near the back, close to the bigger stand O, so hopefully will be able to see the screen in front of O. We chose this stand as it’s slightly more affordable than O or K, but still in the Harbour, so hopefully has a good atmos. Staying in Nice for 3 nights, right near the station and are planning to buy all train tix up front, as recommended by many. Will also probably try to get some last minute tix for Quali on the day. Thanks Ed and everyone else on here for helping us make an informed choice!

9. FugareF1 Ed (@fugaref1-ed) said on 16th November 2011, 19:42

hello RC

pleasure to help, if you have any more queries just holler and do take the time to come back and post a quick review of your experience if you don’t mind, that’s always useful for people looking into Monaco.

have fun