Silverstone – spectators’ experiences

This discussion page is closed. If you want to discuss going to the British Grand Prix please go to the new discussion forum here: Going to the British Grand Prix

David Coulthard, Red Bull-Ferrari, 2006Tell us about your experiences of visiting Silverstone.

You may wish to include:

• When you visited the track
  • Where you watched from
  • How easy it was to get to
  • How much of the track you could see
  • What support races there were
  • What you liked and didn’t like
  • How much it cost and whether it was good value

Please use the reply box below to leave your comments.

Are you going to the 2011 British Grand Prix? Chat with other F1 fans who are going to the race here: 2011 British Grand Prix discussion

569 comments on Silverstone – spectators’ experiences

1. Ian said on 12th July 2011, 16:07

Dani – hotel prices near the track are a rip off. We stay in hotels in Stratford. This year stayed at the 4 star Stratford Manor. £350 for 4 nights bed and breakfast and is about a 40 minute drive to the track. The same quality hotel nearer the track would be over £1000. Stratford suits us as we travel down from the north. If you are coming from the south then just look for hotels about 40 miles from the track and you won’t get ripped off. The trick is stay in a hotel close to a motorway junction. Good luck hope this helps :-)

2. Ian said on 12th July 2011, 16:15

RachDut

Bought mine last night. Got a confirmation e mail telling met seat numbers. Bought 3 day Platinum tickets

3. Daniel Lavender said on 12th July 2011, 16:18

We stayed at holiday inn express at jct10 of M6 walsall, had 2 nights with breakfast and coach took us to track and back each day. We was 1hour and half away, and had no hold ups on quali day or race day. Only cost us £300, that was all in hotel, breakfast and 2 day tickets.

4. SayNoToTravelodge said on 12th July 2011, 16:57

Had a great time this weekend, had seats at Stowe and they provided a great view but I think next year we will try for Club or Becketts.

We got there either at or before 6am every day, even on Sunday with our reserved seats because we wanted to get good parking and avoid long queues. There was still a queue when we got there at 5:45 but it moved pretty quick once they opened the gates at 6am.

Next year I think we might just camp in the car. The Travelodge in Milton Keynes (Central) was complete rubbish. I know they raise the prices for special events but £250 for that was ridiculous. The room was barely clean, there were rips and tears in the curtains and the heater hardly emitted any air at all. Staff was not very helpful when it came to answering questions. Also, does anyone know if it’s standard practise for Travelodges to not have telephones in the rooms? I have never seen that at any hotel before and found it a bit odd.

Anyway, our recommendation is get there early, bring your own food and drink, pack extra batteries, bring sunscreen, an umbrella and rain ponchos and have a fab time!

• Daveww said on 13th July 2011, 16:50

We use travelodges all the time when we go away for sporting events & they do the job fine. Bed, shower,kettle & tv is all we need. This weekend we stayed in travelodge just outside Birmingham which was a 55 minute drive from Silverstone. Cost us £10 on the Friday & £15 on the Saturday night.

5. Ian said on 12th July 2011, 17:39

Silverstone have said erarly bird tickets for International pit straight stand have sold
    out for 2012. Selling like hot cakes

• GAVIN said on 12th July 2011, 20:23

Possibly. Depends if how many they had, if they only had 2 at that price it’s not selling so fast….

• ian said on 12th July 2011, 20:29

True, and a portion of that stand is reserved for Santander customers too but its a huge stand. Anyway, Becketts for me next year, can’t wait :-):-):-)

• GAVIN said on 12th July 2011, 20:31

And a big chunk for Vodafone customers too, although I think it’s Santanders Shareholders rather than customeres.

• ian said on 12th July 2011, 20:54

No surprise there! The pit straights arn’t the best seats though, in my opinion, Much better at a corner somewhere. Hope Becketts is good. The GP2 drivers were all over the place in the wet. The cars were well twitchy – marvelous. I would love to get my hands on a corporate ticket though, pit lane access, helicopter ride, the full monty. Something else that made it good this year is I signed up to Twitter and got the app on my phone. I followed McLaren (TheFifthDriver) and Force India (clubforce) on Twitter during the weekend and during the race. They tweet from the pits as the event is going on so you get some good info.

6. MarkB said on 12th July 2011, 22:11

Sounds like you have the bug Daniel! Tickets are for sale for next year already

• Daniel Lavender said on 13th July 2011, 19:34

me and my brother have definetly got the bug big time, already priced up for next year just waiting on numbers going now.

7. Daveww said on 13th July 2011, 17:00

Shame there aren’t any early bird prices for general admission next year. I think last year we bought them at 20% off, may have been less? and the VAT was cheaper so I thought we had a bargain by buying early. Having been on the website yesterday ready to buy our 3 GA tickets for next year I was left a little disappointed that there is no advantage to booking early so have left the money sitting in my account and not Silverstones for now!

8. MarkB said on 13th July 2011, 20:08

Did anyone buy the black Mclaren Tee shirt for £40 ? The quality on them is terrible, mine and my dads has threads pulled all over them. We only wore them race day ! Feel totally ripped off. We bought the silver polo shirt last year and that was great.

• PaxJes said on 13th July 2011, 22:38

what McLaren shirts? i only saw Vodafone shirts. Really ****** me off and i did not buy any merchandise because of that. just terrible.
      I wanted a Sauber cap or shirt and i could not find it, but i saw some guy with a Kobayashi cap. Oh well.

• Jenny said on 15th July 2011, 11:01

I bought my boyfriend that tshirt and yeah it was snagged all over the front by the end of the first day he wore it! Annoying cause he wanted to wear it for doing sport etc. but now probably won’t or it’ll be totally ruined in a few days. Not sure if he’s tried to wash it yet but can’t imagine it’ll cope well!

• MarkB said on 21st July 2011, 23:06

Hi Jenny, sorry for the delay getting back to you (been away on hols). We have complained and are gonna get replacements. Not si=ure that is great as will only happen again. Looking for a full refund at the moment, awaiting reply.

• beverley said on 15th September 2011, 21:26

i did, it is really bad quality, my husband actually thought it was a fake, well gutted!!!

9. Dominic said on 14th July 2011, 20:45

Went to the race july 10/2011, not sure i needed a parking ticket which i paid £50 for…had my sticker on my windscreen but i’m sure i saw lots of cars without them!?

Got ripped off for £2 after getting money from a kiosk cash machine ran by Thomas cook i think…a cashier made it clear i’d be charged £2, ok i said…i’ve checked my bank statement and i was charged £4! Just greed and a sneaky trick! gonna try and chase it up though if poss because of the cheekiness of it.

What was with the insects!!!!!!!!!!!??????…anyone?

• claire Firminger said on 14th July 2011, 21:27

Yeah, the insects were unbelievable! Anything brightly coloured just attracted them. Didnt seem too bad all weekend apart from the Sunday. Are they a problem every year??

10. Ian said on 15th July 2011, 10:44

The insects were bad. One of the stand stewards yellow bib was almost black. Yuk…. Never seen that before at Silverstone. Watching the Open Golf on TV from Kent just now and some of the camera shots have loads of flies on the lense. Is it just some sort of problem down south??? A plague of flies???

• Jenny said on 15th July 2011, 11:02

They were terrible at Stowe. I live down south and have never seen those type of flies before that literally only went for bright/fluorescent stuff (felt very bad for the steward). Would say maybe it was all the food/rubbish but I have been at festivals recently that have’t had a fly problem at all!

11. Ian said on 15th July 2011, 11:23

Complain to McLaren. If you are on Twitter tweet on #BBCF1 to see if any one else has a problem. I bought a McLaren hoodie when it rained. It’s not great quality for £50 but it hasn’t fallen to bits yet

12. Andrew said on 15th July 2011, 11:46

Wow early bird tickets weekend tickets have already sold out for Becketts, Club and International straight.

I sat in Stowe B and saw lots of action, fancy somewhere a bit different next year. It’s a tough decision as everywhere has it’s own pros and cons, Luffield B looks like it would have been a good spot this year.

13. Daniel Lavender said on 15th July 2011, 18:16

I bought the white Mclaren Vodafone t-shirt for £25, have had no problems with it what so ever with it. The insects at track was awful, guy next to us went to put his umbrella up and it was covered in them.

14. dominic said on 15th July 2011, 23:17

Already i can see it’s poss to buy tickets for next year for the pit straight at £270…bargain! I’ve just been to the race in 2011 on a general admission ticket and have to say it would be worth spending a little extra for a seat high up and far back so there are no obstrucitons i.e. the fences!

Though i’ve been already, and enjoyed the whole experience i’ve got no desire to go back…the noise!, interfears with work! to go back you gotta be a fan! best seat in the house is literally in the house and that said when i watch it and they go around and around…i fall asleep, every week! i had no idea who was leading or anything ha ha

• MarkB said on 21st July 2011, 23:13

try taking a radio or tuning your phone in to radio silverstone, full race coverage is given, general admission spots give you the opportunity to position yourself near a 30 ft tv. Stowe and Vale for instance both had them.

• lennie (@lennie) said on 4th August 2011, 12:48

I always tune into radio Silverstone and wear ear defenders over my headphones so I can actually hear it – no problem following the race then! x

• MarkB said on 4th August 2011, 12:56

exactly Lennie, no problem at all. and if you want a better view ya pay bigger money. Its the same with any sporting event.