Silverstone – spectators’ experiences

This discussion page is closed. If you want to discuss going to the British Grand Prix please go to the new discussion forum here: Going to the British Grand Prix

David Coulthard, Red Bull-Ferrari, 2006Tell us about your experiences of visiting Silverstone.

You may wish to include:

• When you visited the track
  • Where you watched from
  • How easy it was to get to
  • How much of the track you could see
  • What support races there were
  • What you liked and didn’t like
  • How much it cost and whether it was good value

Please use the reply box below to leave your comments.

Are you going to the 2011 British Grand Prix? Chat with other F1 fans who are going to the race here: 2011 British Grand Prix discussion

569 comments on Silverstone – spectators’ experiences

1. Daniel Lavender said on 16th July 2011, 18:14

Thats it 3 day passes booked with 3 days camping, roll on next July.

• Joe Tanto said on 18th July 2011, 14:30

Very good – thanks.
      One small point the Silverstone map indicates three large tv screens along International Pit Straight, including opposite Abbey grandstand.
      There isn’t one opposite Abbey near the corner, it would be great if there is next year.
      Igor’s youtube shows where the tv is properly.

2. Ian said on 20th July 2011, 8:42

If you stayed at travellodge recently read this

3. MarkB said on 21st July 2011, 23:15

Booked 3 day tickets for Club 2012, cant wait counting the days already!!

4. Hamster79 said on 28th July 2011, 12:34

Today I booked 3 day passes for the International Pit Straight, and camping at Woodlands. I’m going with my friend who has only just got into F1, it’ll be her 1st GP and my 2nd (although my 1st at Silverstone), look out for 2 rather excitable girls having the time of their lives!

I just wanted to say thanks to everyone who posted here, I read every post and your advice and help have made it so much more easy to decide where to sit and what to do.

Roll on July 2012!

5. Preciousdaisybear said on 28th July 2011, 13:59

Help, want to take hubby to next year’s grand prix for his 40th bday but need help where is the most exciting place to watch race from. Any ideas gratefully recieved…

6. Preciousdaisybear said on 28th July 2011, 14:01

I need your help. I want to take hubby to grand prix next year for his 40th but need advice as to where is best to watch race from. All ideas gratefully received…

7. Daniel Lavender said on 31st July 2011, 11:27

I have got me 3 day passes for next year, but looking at it there’s not much point now. As I’m going to miss half the season, now bernie’s sold out and gone to sky sports. My F1 adventure is pretty much over, and thats is a shame as I’ve been watching F1 for 20+ years now.

8. StuB said on 14th August 2011, 9:33

I am looking at getting platinum tickets for next year and having sat at Beckets in practice this seemed a fantastic place as you can see Village.

Is the view the same from Village as i was thinking of getting Village tickets or should i stick with Becketts?

• I would say becketts is slightly better as from becketts you can see the Village complex and the rear view right down the staight to brooklands. Village B is a great view of the new twisty bit but I would say the secondary view over to becketts is not quite as good. But as you’ll know both are great places to watch from; just a slight preference for Becketts for me.

9. Tim Limes said on 21st August 2011, 21:07

Great circuit for the drivers and the cars, but Silverstone rates poor for me as a photographer. Only Club and Farm offer reasonable photo opportunities.
    Whilst I’m conscious of the need for substantial catch fencing – a few photo access areas could be created – heck I’d even be willing to pay extra and sign disclaimers to gain access to some decent viewing positions.
    Trying to carry 35 kg of photo gear up into one of the grandstands is always fun and doesn’t really offer the persepective one would wish for.
    Press passes are beyond the reach of ordinary mortals, though I am surprised at the number of folk who have gained a “purple tabbard” given their clearly poor photo technique and equipment.
    Pity that the F1 test days no longer happen, they were a more relaxed experience and a great opportunity to get close to the cars and drivers.

10. Jiten Bhagani said on 3rd September 2011, 18:50

hi guys hope your well :)

we have just booked our tickets to attend my first grand prix at next years race at silverstone and are going to be sitting at the abbey grandstand. but i am not sure if we have made a good decision. we want to be able to see the most overtaking, but i dont think abbey offers that.

if you could give me some advice on where it is best to sit, it would be really appreciated.

thanks and best regards
    Jiten :)

11. WelshDana said on 12th September 2011, 0:53

I desperately want to go to next years race but have no F1 loving friends to go with. I’m a 32 year old woman hoping to meet up with other women who are going it alone. Help, I have to see Mr Shumacher drive just once before he retires again.

12. Nicky hammerton said on 12th September 2011, 10:30

Hi WelshDana, I was in the same position as you this year…I’m 34 and my hubby and friends hate F1, so I went by myself :-))) I had the most amazing time and will be back next year. What really helped me was speaking to people on here, twitter and Facebook. By the time I arrived at woodlands campsite on the Wednesday I had so many meet ups planned I was hardly every alone. You will make loads of friends! I’ve even meet up with some of my silverstone buddies since. Well your welcome to pitch your tent next door to me if you wish xx

• mike3003 said on 12th September 2011, 11:46

WelshDana. Be warned, Nicky is a hard out Mclaren fan. All you will hear is Mclaren this and Jenson that and how good Lewis is….Just like me, we belong to the same TEAM. :o) You will have a great time, my first GP was in 1980, and I still get excited come time for the British Grand Prix. Linda and me are all booked and ready to go! Hot tip: Do not wear anything red, Nicky might faint then drink heavily!

• WelshDana said on 12th September 2011, 18:48

Hi Mike, Luckily I have no affiliation to any team so Nicky shouldn’t mind, I just love it all. I must say though that I think JB is under rated. I have a current admiration for Kobayashi because he’s a frit loop and made last season extra fun. I also have a shameful crush on Christian Horner which I find very odd myself!! lol

• WelshDana said on 12th September 2011, 18:49

Hi Mike, Luckily I have no affiliation to any team so Nicky shouldn’t mind, I just love it all. I must say though that I think JB is under rated. I have a current admiration for Kobayashi because he’s a fruit loop and made last season extra fun. I also have a shameful crush on Christian Horner which I find very odd myself!! lol

• mike3003 said on 13th September 2011, 8:44

Hi WelshDana. I am a huge Jenson fan along with my wife, who had to be prised away from him last year at the McLaren Centre…I had a man hug with him aswell! He is a genuinly great bloke. Kamui is awsome too, such a character at this years Grand Prix Party……..But having a crush on Mr Horner! I think you need help, perhaps a few days under canvas with Nicky will do it.

• Neil Wells-West said on 26th October 2011, 18:32

We were at the Hungarian GP this year and booked a table at Pampas restaurant in downtown Budapest on the Saturday night. Guess who was on the table next to us with his Dad and girlfriend, yep it was JB! What a lovely guy, came over after the meal and sat with us, had group photo and shook hands etc. He then went on to win his 200th race!!Going to Silverstone this year with my 2 boys – can’t wait!

• WelshDana said on 12th September 2011, 18:44

Nikki, thanks so much for the reply. I would love to pitch up next to you and be shown the ropes. Do you think I should go with a GA ticket for my first time until I work out in future which seat I really want?

I’d love it if you could add me to FB so I can ask you a million questions about it all. Can you look me up please..dawn baker lari.

• Haha you remind me of me this time last year! I couldnt get enough information, think I drove everyone mad. I have friend requested you, so once you approve I can give you all the inside info as a single female.

Mike seeing we have never managed a meet up you know me all too well, lol……..fingers crossed I will get to meet you and Linda next year, or how about AutoSport in January? by the way I wore mu McLaren shirt at the Renault Weekend ;-)

• mike3003 said on 13th September 2011, 8:48

Hi Nicky. You have a date for next year, bring Dana with you, perhaps we can make her see the light!. I wore my McLaren team Cap at the WSR, what a great event it was too. Put the Silverstone Classic in your diary too, it is awsome. Totally unrestricted access to both pit areas, real hands on stuff. Loved it. If we go to the Autosport I will let you know. Cheers.

• nickyhammerton said on 13th September 2011, 15:51

I was thinking about arranging an out of season meet up, maybe at the Donington GP Collection…keep your eyes on the McLaren members website for more details.

• WelshDana said on 13th September 2011, 20:47

Thanks to Nickys advice I have booked a GA ticket and the 3 nights camping. Now, how will I get my hands on Christian Horner ha ha.

13. Donz358 (@donz358) said on 12th September 2011, 13:50

Hi everyone,

I’m new on F1 Fantatic but I’m already loving it!

I’m going to my first F1 Grand Prix next year at Silverstone and can’t wait. I’ve got tickets for the Luffield stand (as recommended by a friend) and I’m camping at Whittlebury. As the corner is quite slow and its a rolling ticket on Fri/Sat does anyone have any suggestions on where to sit during practice & qualifying to see some high-speed action?

Any tips would be much appreciated :)

• Make sure you head for Becketts at some point over the weekend. The speed through Maggotts / becketss is awesome.
      Start / Finish straight is great for quali but you have to get in place at the start of the day to be sure of a place there on the Saturday.

• Donz358 (@donz358) said on 14th September 2011, 13:46

Thanks Jack!

• mike3003 said on 14th September 2011, 14:00

That is GREAT advice from Jack, but dont tell anyone else. I have done that a couple of times. Stand right at the entrance to the corner, you are just a few meters from the track, brace yourself and hold on tight, there cannot be many better sporting experiences than seeing an F1 car go through that corner without lifting. Wow, I just got goosebumps thinking about it. You FEEL the experience! Enjoy :o)

• Donz358 (@donz358) said on 14th September 2011, 14:10

Sounds fantastic – you are giving me goosebumps just talking about it!

I know I’m 10 months in advance but is there anything else that I should know?

Hoping to meet a few friends on here who share my F1 passion, especially as I’m camping!

• mike3003 said on 14th September 2011, 20:00

You seem to be organised. Great seats at Luffield, I will be next to you in the SRC Members stand. Give yourself some time on Friday and walk the circuit, it is easily done and friday is the less busy day. Good choice of campsite, fairly near to Luffield. Make sure you have a small radio with earphones, tune to 87.7 Radio Silverstone. Stay on sunday night and do not miss the GP Party, see lots of drivers.

14. does anyone know if you can book particular seats in a stand? I want some towards the back of becketts as i have been there before and was a good position.

cherrs

• I booked General Admission (no seats) online originally, but had a change of heart and rang up a few days later to ask to upgrade to silver (with seats).

As she processed my upgrade the lady on the phone asked me where roughly I would like to be in the grandstand I chose (Front middle or back, like at the cinema!), so I should think you certainly can choose fairly specific seats if you book by phone

Hopefully someone can confirm whether you can choose online also?