Singapore street track – spectators’ experiences

This discussion page is closed. If you want to discuss going to the Singapore Grand Prix please go to the new discussion forum here: Going to the Singapore Grand Prix

Tell us about your experiences of visiting the Singapore street track.

You may wish to include:

• When you visited the track
  • Where you watched from
  • How easy it was to get to
  • How much of the track you could see
  • What support races there were
  • What you liked and didn’t like
  • How much it cost and whether it was good value

Please use the reply box below to leave your comments.

Are you going to the 2011 Singapore Grand Prix? Chat with other F1 fans who are going to the race here: 2011 Singapore Grand Prix discussion

36 comments on Singapore street track – spectators’ experiences

1. magiklegz (@magiklegz) said on 10th June 2011, 12:49

I attended the 2010 race, on a Premier Walkabout ticket… there are plenty of places to watch the action from on this tickets, they have loads of platforms around the circuit.. plus you have access to the whole circuit, rather than a few sectors.
    Was easy to get to circuit via subways, visibility i thought was rather good for a street circuit. also on a premier walkabout ticket you get unlimited use of the Singapore Flyer which gives you a fantastic aerial view.
    Support races where Porsche and Formula BMW asia, and at where good filler races, though i wasnt glued to them. I terms of price and value it can be expensive for drinks and food, but if you go to the supermarket under the singapore flyer in sector 1, then you can buy cheap beer and food, remember this is a street circuit and the owner of this shop clearly refuses to close even though he is inside the track!!
    Finally the best bit about watching Singapore GP is surely its the only track where meeting the drivers is VERY easy!!… basically the drivers are not allowed to be driven into circuit grounds, they get dropped off at the gates and walk through the general areas in ZONE 1, and then into the pits… i had my photo taken with all the drivers except Schmi and Hamilton, by just asking as they walked though… not sure how well known this is, but there seemed to be very few people in this area, as its not a great spectator area. They tend to come in around 2hours before 1st session of each day!
    But as well as this, what better venue than watchin a race live at night!

• nightsoil said on 7th July 2011, 8:58

Great info, magiklegz. I’m planning to go there this year with my dad (my first live GP) and I’m thinking of getting the Premier Walkabout tickets so I can walk around the track. Say I get tired walking around, any tips where it’s best to see the action?

Also, which gate exactly do the drivers enter? Is this Gate 1 on the upper right here?

• magiklegz said on 25th August 2011, 11:28

Hi Nightsoil, basically the drivers come in somewhere around Gate 2… the best place to catch them is near the white bridge going over track in square H14 (on map you linked), you need to be on the inside of the track,(as some drivers i think stay at hotels within track confines) , there is a 2 tier car park next to this bridge that they walk past… you will need Prmier Walkabout to get in this area… you can meet them just before they go into the paddock, but this area has a load of fans… so best to catch them the otherside of the road (next to the bridge) before they turn the corner into FansVille! as they are happy to stop for odd photo.. but not likely when 30 other people look to get a photo too! Premier walkabout is really good.. as it gets you into zones 1 & 2 (aswell as 3&4) but 3&4 is very crowded as cheaper part of track, and also less goes on down there… best to stay in around zone 1.. there are loads of tiered stands for premier ticket holders… i terms of good areas to stand/sit i reccommend anywhere from gate 9 through pits straight to gate 1… gate 9 is brilliant to higher speed up close and personal viewing… see them out of the chicane and into final corner… i recommend being opposite podium for end of race, as they open up circuit so you can go onto the grid for the podium presentation…! as worth being opposite pit exit for start as you see the whole grid fly past 10 feet infront of you into turn 1! awesome sight…

• Zone 1 ?do you know which gate? or you meant gate 1?

2. MOMENTUM85 (@momentum85) said on 30th July 2011, 2:54

This is going to be my 3rd year.I sat in Padang 09 & Bay Grandstand 10.Let me just say,it’s just amazing.
    I know it’s a bit pricey but definiely worth it.
    This year I’m going to sit in Main Grandstand.I’m so excited.I’m staying at Conrad,this year.Padang is really good place to seat if you are going to watch the concert afterwards.But not a good place for photo taking.Bay Grandstand is just awful..roads are blocked and there are no signs of how to get to bay grandstand if you are coming from suntec city so you have to walk around a lot.

3. Anoop said on 14th August 2011, 15:49

I intend to attend th singapore GP this year. Can anyone tell me of their experience at the Bay Grandstand? What are the best seats and what cheap hotels are there nearby?

• MOMENTUM85 said on 25th August 2011, 13:15

I have sit in Bay Grandstand,last year.I can’t really tell you the best seat of Bay Grandstand because I don’t think there is any.It’s really same unless you are seated in the Green Room that is above the Bay Grandstand.Only thing I can tell you is that upper section is a little bit better than lower section.There are no cheap hotels near by.If you want cheap hotels,you have to go outside of circuit area.And I suggest you look for it asap.Because as I speak,rooms are getting more expensive and there are only few cheap hotel rooms left.

4. Mankster said on 25th August 2011, 21:53

I think the opposite, the lower seats in Bay Grand stand are better, but the views are no the best and the seats are unconforable. Try the Vhotel Lavender. Much more information available under the Singapore 2011 Discussion thread

• MOMENTUM85 said on 25th August 2011, 22:09

My seat was exactly in the middle of lower&upper section.From Bay Grandstand and Padang,you can’t really see the action.
      Unless you rent Kangaroo Tv.That is strictly from my personal experience.
      Good thing about Bay Grandstand is the view and good thing about Padang Grandstand is that you can watch the main event right after the race is finished.If you watch from grandstand,you will get a better view than rest of the people.

5. frankie said on 30th August 2011, 13:36

hi guys going to singapore for my very 1st grandprix have tickets for the stamford grandstand would love to here from anyone eho can tell me what that grandstands like good points and bad whats it like for takeing photos?

6. Thecollaroyboys (@thecollaroyboys) said on 30th September 2011, 9:16

We’ve juat been to the 2011 GP and were in the pit grandstand. Would have liked the Turn 1 seating but agent had already booked. Pit is good for the start and acess to the track after the race but just OK for the race. View of TV screens is exceptional though so I would rate it as a 7/10 viewing position. If you’re staying in the city ignore the gate one access. Better to go thru gate 2 from the Esplande MRT. It’s a shorter walk and close to the track if you’re running late so you can see whats going on. Don’t try to take a taxi to the track as most areas are restricted and traffic is jammed. You will just be wasting money.

Take heaps of water if you are in the pit grandstand as well as a fan because the stand does not get the prevailing breeze as its blocked by the corporate boxes. Always ask the information people twice for any one piece of information as not all staff are totally clued up.

Overall the organisation is top notch and completely safe for kids. This was our first GP and while we messed up some of the research on what and where everthing seemed to operate very well.

7. A feedback letter I wrote to Singapore GP. Generally it was a good event, but the security in the grandstands being pesky and black canvases covering good parts of the track made it really difficult for the Fan Photographers. In a way, they expect you to remain in your seats for all the sessions only.

Hi,

I was in the Turn 2 Grandstand during the qualifying session, with ticket for A2, Row 18. I have some comments on the general inflexibility of your security staff.

As I had saw there was an empty seat on Row 20, and wanted to get a better view, I made my way up there. The moment I had shifted to Row 18, your security guy in charge of A2 block (just by the FIA Media Photographers Box) had come over to me immediately to check my ticket, and requested I return to my seat.

However, my point of view is that I wouldn’t be at that seat for too long, and it didn’t make sense of him to come and check every single patron. By arguing with me when the F1 cars were on track didn’t make sense, because I wouldn’t be able to hear him, and neither would he! I had wished for Singapore GP to be more flexible, however by doing so he had ruined my mood for the qualifying session. Why aren’t we allowed to move to an empty seat?

Additionally, when a European/American tourist went to take a seat at the same seat in A2 Row 20, the security guy didn’t check him. Was he tasked to close one eye on the tourist?

Additionally, on Sunday during the race, the Singapore GP security guy manning the FIA Media Photographers Box in Turn 2 grandstand (in Block A3) had to check every single FIA photographer. If the photographer was wearing the FIA Photographers Jacket or the 2011 Singapore Grand Prix Photographer’s Bib, why does he need to check one-by-one? Doesn’t it make sense that the photographer wearing the bib is authorized to enter the reserved box? Where is the common sense of your staff?

Please feedback on the outcome accordingly.

8. Keith Collantine (@keithcollantine) said on 9th December 2011, 13:55