Spa-Francorchamps, Belgium – spectators’ experiences

This discussion page is closed. If you want to discuss going to the Belgian Grand Prix please go to the new discussion forum here: Going to the Belgian Grand Prix

Tell us about your experiences of visiting Spa-Francorchamps in Belgium.

You may wish to include:

• When you visited the track
  • Where you watched from
  • How easy it was to get to
  • How much of the track you could see
  • What support races there were
  • What you liked and didn’t like
  • How much it cost and whether it was good value

Please use the reply box below to leave your comments.

Are you going to the 2011 Grand Prix? Chat with other F1 fans who are going to the race here: 2011 Belgian Grand Prix discussion

839 comments on Spa-Francorchamps, Belgium – spectators’ experiences

1. Carol Treurnicht said on 10th May 2009, 22:31

Hi Catherine
    we all have enough space and we make our own fun on the site- ie you can be rowdy or not or get a good night’s sleep. They specifially don’t allow all night loud disco types- there’s the two huge sites at the other end of the track for that!
    To everyone- if you go there then (sugggestion from my partner!) we have a camp meet in the village pub on Thursday after the pit walk- we all need to try a Val Dieu…….to get us in the mood for a hopefully great weekend!
    Walk to the track about 20 minutes- or they have a shuttle service if you had a bad day and can’t face the walk home after being in the pouring rain all day…….
    The site is also only really full on raceday.
    Hope you join us there.

2. Catherine H said on 10th May 2009, 22:45

Hi Carol

Thanks for the info! I think we will probably book there too. I wondered if you had any photos from any of your previous years there?

• Carol Treurnicht said on 10th May 2009, 22:52

Hi Catherine
      got a couple and will gladly send- look up above and send me a mail and I’ll send a couple on to you. The setting is actually quite beautiful.

3. Andy Kelly said on 10th May 2009, 23:03

Carol,
    I would love to see your photo’s of the site too. My email address is andrew.kelly@saltend.co.uk
    Andy

4. Hi to all,

as I can see here, there must be sometimes problems with my web site. I don’t find any errors. Within 3 or 4 weeks I will make a new site, hope with more informations in enlish too. By then you can make your reservation also by simple eMail with the informations from the reservation form.
    BTW – big thanks to Carol!
    cu
    Michael

5. tony loveland said on 11th May 2009, 18:15

hi,
    that sounds great, we’ll be there on wednesday too, so we’re up for some laughs,I was wondering about tickets at the track, and we may hold back if you can get them there, did you do that last time you went? I thought there wouldn’t be too much of a problem for bronze tickets. When can you get in on thursday? By the way, andy shouldn’t worry, Hamilton should do much better at Monaco,(top 5) but I think that Rosberg could win it with the shorter wheelbase on his car… regards, Tony and Deb.

6. Andy Kelly said on 11th May 2009, 18:55

Tony,
    here’s hoping but the word from Mclaren was that Barcelona would be the turning point & we end up with no points!!
    Oh well, what happens, happens. It sounds like we are going to have a great weekend no matter what occurs on the track & just being there to be a part of the atmosphere is fantastic, so I’m happy!!
    Andy

7. Carol Treurnicht said on 11th May 2009, 19:57

Wow- great news- a word from the man himself (Michael)- sent him the link here and told him he needs to get his website sorted! ice to see he responded by posting here!
    I’ll send on a couple of pics- not fantastic but gives a bit of an impression of the place. The one thing that they really take pride in is that the toilets and showers are always clean.
    Great to see a few are also arriving Wednesday- if you got weekend tickets you can get in Thursday onwards.
    @ Tony and Debbie- if you go bronze then just buy at the gate- saves hassle and you also save on the booking fees.
    @ Andy- I am sure that McLaren will be back at the front by then and Brawn will have some competition! And that my Renault tractor also has something to show for itself by then!

• Andy Kelly said on 11th May 2009, 20:18

Hi Carol,
      we can live in hope!!
      Here’s a suggestion everyone, as well as trying the Val-Dieu as Carol has suggested, how about if we all bring along something from our own areas for Carol & the rest to try? We live in Yorkshire so could bring some Yorkshire Puddings (home made of course) & obviously some good, strong Yorkshire Beer.
      Andy

8. Carol Treurnicht said on 11th May 2009, 20:52

Go for it Andy- I can send you a mega list of all I miss here…….bit of black pudding maybe?
    Aha- you from Yorkshire- I orignally from Costa del Darlington……..
    Great idea- we all bring something along……sounds great!

• Andy Kelly said on 11th May 2009, 20:59

Carol,
      you won’t believe this but I’m from Newton Aycliffe, I moved to Yorkshire 10 years ago for work!! Small world isn’t it? My brother lives on West Auckland Road near Cockerton.
      Andy

9. Carol Treurnicht said on 11th May 2009, 21:13

What? I don’t believe it! Although I have been here for centuries all my folks still live in either Darlingotn or Heighington- just round the corner from Newton Aycliffe………small world!

10. tony loveland said on 11th May 2009, 22:56

I might creep under the wire, i’ve been to yorkshire, ha ha! I was bought up in Australia, i’ll think of something to bring- probably something to cook on the barbeque.
    Tony and deb.

11. Carol Treurnicht said on 12th May 2009, 18:49

I am so excited already- and today is my 50th birthday to boot (yeah I know I don’t look it……haha)- so if the typing deteriorates this evening I have a good excuse! Can’t wait to meet all you peeps- Spa is really a special event!

• Andy Kelly said on 12th May 2009, 19:05

Happy Birthday Carol,

hope you have a fantastic night. Your right, you don’t look a day over 21!!

Andy

12. Andy Kelly said on 12th May 2009, 19:42

WOW!!
    Ferrari are seriously threatening to quit next season due to the new rules concerning a budget cap. You can’t have F1 without the Tifosi, what are Bernie & Max thinking??

13. Carol Treurnicht said on 12th May 2009, 20:26

Andy
    don’t worry- they are only confirming what Toyota, Red Bull, Toro Rosso and BMW have said- if Bernie wants an F1 without Toyota, BMW, Ferrari, _Renault etc- then good luck- I am sure we’ll then all be watching and fevering elsewhere–just the politics taking over at the moment………..they will agree on a format for 2010 soon…..

14. tony loveland said on 12th May 2009, 21:51

Happy Birthday to you, Happy birthday to you, Happy birthday to Carol, Happy birthday to you!! (sounded o.k to me!)
    The teams are right to object to the changes,1) it would introduce lots of slower cars.2)It would prevent development( which is also happening this year to a lesser extent). The penalties for engine and gearbox changes should be abolished (not exactly fair in a drivers championship) (please excuse all the brackets!),a cap of about 60million should be about right for most teams. Tony and Deb

15. Carol Treurnicht said on 12th May 2009, 22:00

Hey Tony and Deb don’t overdo it!
    Thanks for the singing bit but as my official B’day present is our trip to Spa then my new offer- meet up in local pub on the Thursday to celebrate my 50 and going on 100- drinks on me!See ya all there!

• tony loveland said on 12th May 2009, 22:16

That’s a done deal! after you.. mind the step…age before beauty and all that!! Ha Ha
      Tony and Deb