Born: 27th December 1985
Birthplace: Etterbeek, Belgium
Find all F1 Fanatics who are fans
of Jerome D’Ambrosio
Belgian driver Jerome d’Ambrosio joined Virgin’s race team for 2011 after driving for them in several practice sessions at the end of 2010.
He made his way to F1 through Renault’s driver development programme having made his start in circuit racing with Renault. He won the Belgian Formula Renault 1600 championship in 2003.
After a season in the F3000 Euroseries, d’Ambrosio won the inaugural running of the Formula Master championship in 2007.
That led him to GP2 and GP2 Asia where he spent three seasons driving for DAMS. After finishing 11th and ninth overall in his first two seasons he scored his first win in the sprint race at Monaco in 2010.
He was later substituted for Romain Grosjean (like d’Ambrosio, another driver from the Gravity Sports Management roster) at the German round but returned to complete the season.
He also made four appearances in Friday F1 practice sessions for Virgin. He also appeared for the team and for Renault in the post-season young drivers’ test, which secured his promotion to Virgin’s race team for 2011.
With a disastrously uncompetitive car and a much more experienced team mate in Timo Glock, D’Ambrosio faced a struggle to impress in his first F1 season.
He occasionally out-qualified Glock but tended to finish behind his team mate. Worse, during the Hungarian Grand Prix he spun his car in a damp pit lane, fortunately without hitting anyone.
He showed signs of progress late in the year, particularly in Japan and Brazil. But he was dropped within a few hours of the chequered flag falling on the final race, Charles Pic taking his place for 2012.
D’Ambrosio joined Lotus as the team’s third driver for 2012. When Romain Grosjean was banned from racing in the Italian Grand Prix, D’Ambrosio was given his seat for the race.
Jerome d’Ambrosio – featured articles
- ?óÔé¼?£I never believed I couldn?óÔé¼Ôäót make it?óÔé¼Ôäó ?óÔé¼ÔÇ£ Jerome d?óÔé¼ÔäóAmbrosio interview
- Jerome d?óÔé¼ÔäóAmbrosio to drive for Virgin in 2011
Jerome d’Ambrosio – latest articles
- Monza call-up “a massive challenge” – D’Ambrosio
- Jerome d’Ambrosio to stand in for Grosjean at Monza
- D’Ambrosio to drive for Lotus at Mugello
- Jerome d’Ambrosio joins Lotus as third driver for 2012
- Virgin’s missed opportunity in Canada leaves them last again
- Virgin: D’Ambrosio departs with “one of my best races”
- 2011 Brazilian Grand Prix in pictures
- Virgin confirm Pic to replace D’Ambrosio
- 2011 Brazilian GP qualifying in pictures
- Vettel tops final practice session in Brazil
Image ?é?® Virgin Racing