IndyCar

The DW12 in speedway aero configuration

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    Prisoner Monkeys
    Participant

We were all sort of knocked silly when Dallara first launched the DW12, given the ugliness of the car. and in doing so, we all overlooked one of the bigger features of the car. The DW12 was built under the ICONIC project, with Dallara offering two different bodykits: one for road racing, and one for speedway racing. We’ve seen the road course configuration, but not much has been made of the oval package. Until now. SPEED TV have gotten their hands on photos of testing at Indianapolis, and the car looks much better:

http://photos.speedtv.com/gallery/INDYCAR_IMS_Test_April_2012

joac21
    Participant

that car looks veeery god taken from the side (road course as well), not sure of other angles

matt90
    Participant

I like the rear wing incorporated into the bumper.

Anonymous
    Inactive

We were all sort of knocked silly when Dallara first launched the DW12, given the ugliness of the car.

Speak for yourself. I think it looks brilliant in both configurations.

Don
    Participant

The oval aero package is quite different. I love the view from the front of the car. From the side the wing assembly looks incredibly low. It does have a Batmobile look to it. More images here. http://www.racer.com/indycar-teams-comfortable-with-progress-following-indianapolis-test/article/235248/

Bullfrog
    Participant

That rear wing looks great, particularly in the colours on the 26 car (Andretti?) Why can’t F1 have one like that?

Joey-Poey
    Participant

Can’t say I like the batmobile wings from the side, but the rear wing does look pretty awesome with how low and wide it is.

Fer no.65
    Participant

I still don’t like this car. Looks more of a Le Mans racer from behind than a Formula car. And the sidepods are wrong.

It looks massive. Hate it, but that’s my opinion anyway!

ScuderiaVincero
    Participant

I don’t find it extremely pretty, it has to be said. But I can’t hate it either. Definitely better looking than the road racing package.

Don
    Participant

I think they look quite good in both road course and oval aero configurations. They’re definitely not as ugly as the current stepped nose F1 cars.

Obviously the rear wheel guards are different, but the goal is to keep the cars from taking flight at hyper speed on ovals. Also, the guards are eliminating needless punctures from rear contact.

Lin1876
    Participant

It looks totally bizarre, but also quite good at the same time (if that makes sense). Looking forward to seeing it in motion.

Mikemat5150
    Participant

damonsmedley
    Participant

The shot from the front definitely looks a lot better, but it’s still a long way from being not ugly.

The bit from the cockpit right up to the tip of the nose looks bloated and awful in my opinion, and the sidepods are still ugly. I can’t see the DW-12 growing on me, unfortunately! But it’s safer which is a very good thing and I can put up with the ugliness if it’s going to mean less injuries.

Prisoner Monkeys
    Participant

@damonsmedly – It’s probably not helped by that National Guard livery, which has to be one of the worst I’ve ever seen.

matt90
    Participant

From that angle I’m reminded of this:
    http://www.eurocarnews.com/media/pictorials/1849/10053.jpg

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.