Group Admins

• Profile picture of Keith Collantine

Australian V8 Supercars

Public Group active 4 days, 19 hours ago

Group for fans of Australian V8 Supercars

2011 Gold Coast 600

This topic contains 27 replies, has 9 voices, and was last updated by Avatar of ed24f1 ed24f1 2 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 28 total)
  • Author
    Silverkeg
    Participant

Hi everyone,

I thought I would start a topic to talk about the GC600 to share your thoughts on the format of the event, who will win etc.

I am actually really excited for this race. The format is unique and I admit before the race last year I was a bit sceptical about the whole idea but now I Love it. Thrilled that Liuzzi will be there and it has recieved support from some top quality drivers.

One thing I am still not fond of from last year is the revised track layout. I liked the original Indy track but the new layout feels too short.

It is a hard tyre event so I expect the usual Team Vodafone and HRT to be competitive. Gizzy was fast last year and should be again. FPR will be happy that the hard tyre is here. Unfortunately I’m not expecting too much from my favourite teams. Kelly Racing will probably use the tyres too hard, and BJR will struggle on the hard tyre but GRM should go back towards the front on the street circuit and hopefully D’alberto can haul in another top ten.

My tip: Whincup on pole and win after a tough Bathurst, hitting back after a tough event is what he does best and he won’t like being second for too long

Keith Collantine
    Keymaster

Am I right in saying this doesn’t clash with an F1 race? If so we could potentially arrange an F1 Fanatic Live for it if there’s enough interest.

Prisoner Monkeys
    Participant

No, it does not clash with any Grands Prix. I’d be a bit worried if it did, since Tonio Liuzzi is going to drive alongside Tony d’Alberto.

Also, the race format is two separate 300km races – one on Saturday and one on Sunday, with both starting at 1:40pm AEDST.

Stephen Jones
    Participant

it is.. the week after korea, with the action taking place from 1200 – 1700 GMT +10

/sounding smart

I always love indy, and while the V8′s don’t seem to capture the same atmosphere that CART and Champcar had, they have been able to create a beast of a format..

edit: PM beat me to it!

Prisoner Monkeys
    Participant

Here’s the full line-up of regular drivers and the international guests:

James Courtney / Dan Wheldon
    Garth Tander / Ryan Briscoe
    Tony d’Alberto / Tonio Liuzzi
    Alex Davson / Mark Lieb
    Shan van Gisbergen / Emanuele Pirro
    Tim Slade / Helio Castroneves
    Mark Winterbottom / Will Power
    Will Davison / Mika Salo
    Paul Dumbrell / Christian Klien
    Todd Kelly / Richard Westbrook
    Greg Murphy / Oliver Gavin
    Rick Kelly / Jorg Bergmeister
    David Reynolds / Alex Tagliani
    Jason Bright / Stephane Sarazzin
    Jason Bargwanna / Tony Kanaan
    Karl Reindler / Fabrizio Giovanardi
    Dean Fiore / Gianni Morbidelli
    Steven Johnson / Dirk Muller
    James Moffat / Joey Hand
    Jonathon Webb / Gil de Ferran
    Warren Luff / Marino Franchitti
    Lee Holdsworth / Simon Pagenaud
    Michael Caruso / Augusto Farfus
    Russell Ingall / Jan Magnussen
    Steve Owen / Boris Said
    Fabian Coulthard / Patrick Long
    Jamie Whincup / Andy Prilaux
    Craig Lowndes / Sebastien Bourdais

It’s going to be itneresting to see how Liuzzi pulls double-duty. Sometime between now and the event, he had to fly out to Australia for a test/practice session at Queensland Raceway.

Keith Collantine
    Keymaster

The horrible events in Las Vegas yesterday will have several consequences for this race. It pains me to see Wheldon’s name at the top of that list, now sadly taken from us.

Several other drivers will be missing. I had a press release from the organisers this morning confirming Will Power will not be racing (below).

And Tony Kanaan has now confirmed on Twitter he will not be taking part:

“Sorry to all my Australian fans but due to the circumstances I’ve decided not to do the Surfers V8 race.”

Will Power ruled out of Armor All Gold Coast 600

Australian IndyCar racer, Will Power has been ruled out of this weekend’s Armor All Gold Coast 600 after this morning’s tragic IZOD IndyCar Series finale in Las Vegas. His place in the field alongside Mark Winterbottom in the #5 Orrcon Steel FPR Falcon will be taken by Northern Irish International, Richard Lyons.

Power initially walked free from his Penske Racing machine after the 15 car pileup that claimed the life of Dan Wheldon before later being taken to the University Medical Centre in Las Vegas complaining of lower back pain. He was then ruled out of a trip to Australia.

Singapore-based Lyons is well-credentialed having won both the Formula Nippon and Super GT titles in Japan during his career.

FPR Team Principal Tim Edwards thanked Lyons for accepting the role in such difficult circumstances.

“On behalf of everyone at Ford Performance Racing I would like to pass on our heartfelt condolences to the family and friends of Dan Wheldon,” Edwards said.

“Our thoughts are also with Will Power at this tough time and we are just thankful he has escaped without any serious injury.

“I’d also like to thank Richard Lyons for stepping in at such short notice in place of Will. I have known him since my Formula 1 days and he has always impressed me so I am sure he will adapt quickly to our car and the Surfers Paradise track.”

Lyons will shortly be on a plane to Australia and was glad he could assist the team at such short notice.

“I am really torn about racing as I literally heard the sad news about Dan’s passing only an hour before I spoke with Tim,” Lyons said.

“I’ve known Dan for about 15 years as we started off racing together as juniors. We lived nearby in England and we hung out whenever we could so it is with a heavy heart I come to Surfers Paradise.

“While I am sorry that Will can’t come, I look forward to working with such a seasoned professional as Mark Winterbottom and it is a great opportunity for me to work with FPR.

“I’ve known Tim for many years and I’ve wanted to drive for him since he worked for Jordan back when he was in Formula 1. So I am grateful that he has called me and I am looking forward to the challenge of another new car and circuit.”

Organisers of the Armor All Gold Coast 600 have promised another fun, party event – celebrating Wheldon’s life in the only way the Englishman would have wanted.

Prisoner Monkeys
    Participant

I’m sure the series will do something to celebrate Wheldon’s life – be it black bonnets on the cars scheduled to have Indycar co-drivers, or leaving the front row empty.

Keith Collantine
    Keymaster

It is Darren Turner’s sad duty to take Dan Wheldon’s place in the race. This from the event organisers:

Englishman Darren Turner to replace Dan Wheldon

The field for this weekend’s Armor All Gold Coast 600 has been finalised with the signing of English driver Darren Turner as a replacement for Dan Wheldon in the #1 Toll Holden Racing Team Commodore.

Wheldon was tragically killed in the final round of the IndyCar Series in Las Vegas on Monday morning in a 15-car accident and Turner will now fill the co-driver’s seat beside current V8 Supercars champion James Courtney.

Turner, 37, is a current FIA GT driver and a former F1 test driver for McLaren and is currently on a plane to Australia from the UK.

Australian Will Power also injured his back in the Las Vegas crash and has been replaced in Mark Winterbottom’s Orrcon Steel FPR Falcon by Northern Ireland’s Richard Lyons.

Brazilian Tony Kanaan has decided not to make the trip to Australia after the accident and will be replaced in Jason Bargwanna’s Jana Living/BJR Commodore by Danish driver Allan Simonsen, who is fresh from a recent podium at Bathurst.

The other three drivers who were involved in the Las Vegas race – Ryan Briscoe (#2 Toll HRT Commodore with Garth Tander); Alex Tagliani (#16 Stratco/Kelly Racing Commodore with David Reynolds) and Helio Castroneves (#47 Lucky Seven/SBR Falcon with Tim Slade) have all been confirmed as making the trip to the Gold Coast.

All 28 drivers are expected to be at Queensland Raceway near Ipswich tomorrow for a co-driver test day.

Turner is a former British Racing Drivers Club (BRDC) Young Driver of the Year winner and is a two-time GT1 class winner in the Le Mans 24 Hour – taking victory with Australian, David Brabham for Aston Martin in 2007 and 2008.

More recently, he has been competing in the FIA GT1 World Championship for the Aston Martin Racing team – winning the most recent round held in China to take second spot in the championship.

It will be with a heavy heart that Turner joins the V8 Supercars fraternity after the loss of his fellow countryman.

V8 Supercars acting CEO, Shane Howard, said the reaction from the motorsport community internationally after yesterday’s tragedy had been remarkable.

“It was a very sad situation for everyone after Dan’s death yesterday,” said Howard.

“The offers of support from all levels of the international motorsport community have been amazing and really makes you proud to be a part of this business.

“Obviously we were looking forward to having Dan (Wheldon), Will (Power) and Tony (Kanaan) with us, but our thoughts are with them and their families at this time.

“We are grateful that Richard (Lyons), Allan (Simonsen) and Darren (Turner) could make themselves available at such short notice and we look forward to having them here.

“We also appreciate what Ryan (Briscoe), Alex (Tagliani) and Helio (Castroneves) have been through in the last couple of days and will ensure they are accommodated with what they need over the next week.

“We are looking forward to paying tribute to Dan with a terrific event – one he was very much looking forward to being a part of.”

The field now includes eight drivers with Formula 1 race experience and current Formula 1 driver Tonio Liuzzi, five times Le Mans Champion Emanuele Pirro and former Indianapolis 500 Champions in Castroneves and Gil de Ferran.

ed24f1
    Participant

Darren Turner is a great signing, and I’m surprised he wasn’t already chosen.

They are also going to name a trophy for the best international driver at the event as the ‘Dan Wheldon Trophy’

SouthAussie94
    Participant

So the International drivers had their first taste of a V8 Supercar today.
    Here’s the article for the V8 Supercar website which has the fastest times for each car listed – http://www.v8supercars.com.au/newsarticle/queensland-raceway-international-test-day-times/tabid/70/newsid/11805/default.aspx

On another note, Tony D’Alberto, Tonio Liuzzi’s co-driver posted a few very interesting tweets this afternoon. Both are good for a laugh..

http://twitter.com/#!/tonydalberto/status/126520954829549568

ed24f1
    Participant

It’s pretty remarkable to think that Messrs Briscoe, Castroneves and Tagliani are back in a car just 55 hours or so after the events in Las Vegas.

I suppose it may actually help them a little bit instead of waiting until the new IndyCar season in March.

Joel Holland
    Participant

Yes, TK has every right to pull out just as Briscoe, Helio and Tag are justified in racing. Everyone deals with grief differently. Some will feel it not right for them to race so soon after, some will see it as a way to honour Dan. None are wrong. I know I’ll be cheering for either Courtney/Turner or one of the Indycar lads following Sunday’s events.

SouthAussie94
    Participant

This from the Holden Racing Team

http://twitter.com/#!/holden_racing/status/126876945689481216

Very nice touch I think

Prisoner Monkeys
    Participant

It’s pretty remarkable to think that Messrs Briscoe, Castroneves and Tagliani are back in a car just 55 hours or so after the events in Las Vegas.

Maybe they feel that racing on is the best way to honour Wheldon’s memory. Racing was what he loved, after all.

Motors TV UK

UK viewers, Motors TV will be showing delayed-as-live coverage of both Gold Coast races at 7.05pm on Saturday and Sunday. Whilst we’re not live we are saving you a very early alarm call, and our coverage is extensive – a whopping three hours for each.

Hope everyone enjoys the races. If you have any questions just drop us a line on Twitter (@MotorsTV) and we’ll do our best to help out.

The Motors TV Team.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 28 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.