Group Admins

• Profile picture of Keith Collantine

Australian V8 Supercars

Public Group active 3 weeks, 4 days ago

Group for fans of Australian V8 Supercars

2011 Gold Coast 600

This topic contains 27 replies, has 9 voices, and was last updated by Avatar of ed24f1 ed24f1 2 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 13 posts - 16 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Author
    PJ
    Participant

Are any UK-based channels able to show the race live? If not I might find somebody with a Sky box and try to watch the repeat on Motors :)

Keith Collantine
    Keymaster

@motorstv Splendid – will be watching.

Motors TV UK

Hi @PJTierney, Motors TV is the first place you’ll see the race on UK TV. And remember, it’s not a repeat – it’s delayed-as-live! ;)

Prisoner Monkeys
    Participant

The Formula 1 crowd is doing themselves proud – Sebastien Bourdais is running away with it, Mika Salo is currently second (but has to take a ten-second penalty during his pit for jumping the start), Jan Magnussen is living up to his reputation for aggression having already bent the car and Tonio Liuzzi is holding on very well.

SouthAussie94
    Participant

Andy Priaulx following a driver chage. Looks painful…

Prisoner Monkeys
    Participant

Well, that was a ridiculous race. Why do we even bother with those pesky “corners”?

SouthAussie94
    Participant

@prisoner-monkeys Couldn’t agree more. If V8 Supercars wanted to embarrass themselves they couldn’t have picked a better weekend. The stewards were a JOKE!!

The Kelly Racing cars were the worst. Every lap Todd and Rick were cutting the beach chicane. Not to mention a certain American driver in the petfoods car. I guess all the NASCAR bashers are right; they simply can’t turn right…

To those wanting to catch the replay on Motors, I say don’t bother. The race was a complete farce. Don’t waste your time..

Prisoner Monkeys
    Participant

The problem was the new sensor-and-bollards system, which was okay in theory, but poor in execution. Race control made the right call yesterday when the bollard was removed for the first time, since there was about two inches of bollard showing through, which would have caused a puncture for anyone who hit it. The second safety car was a bit unnecessary, but I suppose they had to make sure the first replacement was secured properly; if the bollard could remain in place, then it should have been kept there. Evidently, it didn’t work.

The problem today was the bollards across the back of the circuit. They weren’t an issue yesterday; everyone was respecting them. But they got ripped out during the support races, and they weren’t replaced. Then for some bizarre reason, the sensors were turned off. As soon as that happened, the drivers started abusing the kerbs. A couple of them were legitimate screw-ups as drivers came in too hard and too fast – Craig Lowndes kept doing it at the first chicane – but like you said, a lot of the Kelly drivers (surprise, surprise) ignored them completely.

Keith Collantine
    Keymaster

I saw the race as well and while I liked a lot about it (close racing, unusual track, brilliant setting, fabulous roster of drivers) the inconsistency over corner-cutting was dreadful. Needs a completely different solution for next year.

Prisoner Monkeys
    Participant

No doubt it will.

Anyway, some interesting developments for next year: a lot of the drivers aren’t available – most notably Patrick Long – because of conflicting race schedules. Roland Dane (Team Vodafone’s Christian Horner) is up in arms because the Powers That Be are attempting to amend the rules for 2012, limiting the frequency at which a guest driver can race for a team.

But I honestly think some more format changes are needed, especially if this kind of model is to be applied in Texas in 2013. Right now, the international drivers do 34 laps on Saturday and 34 laps on Sunday, but otherwise they might as well go to the beach. What they really need is an aggregate qualifying session, where the regular driver does a lap, then hands the car over to the international driver in a separate session, who then does a lap of their own. The times then get added together to decide the grid. The international driver needs to actually do something than preserve the car for 30-odd laps.

ed24f1
    Participant

Here are some ideas I have to improve the format, including the same idea that you mentioned above.

- Smaller fuel tanks, so they can’t get 34 laps in one stint. This could open up more strategy variance, I think, as they won’t just put the internationals in and remove them after Lap 34. Enforcing more pitstops could be an issue in the crowded pitlane though.

- Having an aggregate qualifying session on one of the days (i.e. regular driver’s best time + international driver’s best time). I considered previously making qualifying for one of the days only for internationals, but will probably only take away from the spectacle, and I think the aggregate system would work better.

- Alternatively, open up qualifying to all, and the driver who sets the best time in qualifying must start the car.

- No driver can do more than (for example) 55 laps in a row.

Prisoner Monkeys
    Participant

No driver can do more than (for example) 55 laps in a row.

That rule is already in place, @ed24f1 – a driver must do at least 34 laps in the car, or one-third race distance. By virtue of that, the other driver can only do a maximum 68 laps, because to do 69 would mean the first driver (usually the international) would only do 33, and thus miss out on the minimum lap count.

ed24f1
    Participant

Yes, but if the aim is to increase the laps the international has to do, that rule would do that.

I don’t think they’ll want to change the 33% rule, because that’s been around for donkey’s years (and even decided one of the 1997 Bathurst 1000s), and is still important for the other endurance races.

Viewing 13 posts - 16 through 28 (of 28 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.