Group Admins

• Profile picture of Keith Collantine

Australian V8 Supercars

Public Group active 1 month, 2 weeks ago

Group for fans of Australian V8 Supercars

Bathurst 2012 – the 50th Anniversary of The Great Race

This topic contains 21 replies, has 11 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Keith Collantine Keith Collantine 1 year, 11 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Prisoner Monkeys
    Prisoner Monkeys
    Participant

While Formula 1 is at Suzuka for the Japanese Grand Prix this weekend, the V8 Supercars will be at Mount Panorama for the fiftieth anniversary of the Bathurst 1000. And to celebrate, some of the front-running and/or best-known teams have commissioned special liveries inspired by historic designs.

James Moffat will run a replica of Dick Johnson’s famous TRU-BLU Falcon:

http://media.speedcafe.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/image2.jpg

Will Davison and Mark Winterbottom will carry twin liveries modelled on Allan Moffat and Colin Bond’s famous one-two victory in 1977, while David Reynolds will carry a Harry Firth and Fred Gibson’s race-winning design from 1967:

http://www.speedcafe.com/2012/10/01/gallery-fprs-retro-bathurst-1000-schemes/

Craig Lowndes will unveil a special Peter Brock-themed design on Wednesday, while Triple Eight and HRT are believed to be putting other designs together.

Profile photo of Keith Collantine
    Keith Collantine
    Keymaster

Sadly @motorstv have confirmed it’s not on live in the UK this year, though I would have struggled to see it in that time slot anyway:

Prisoner Monkeys
    Participant

And I do believe that SPEED are reducing their coverage of it this year. They won’t be sending a crew out to Australia to cover it live, though it may simply get called from the studios.

Profile photo of Thomas Baer
    Thomas Baer

It’s unfortunate that SPEED aren’t covering it from the track this year, as it is the 50th anniversary. Although they didn’t know much about the series they seemed to enjoy it from what i saw of their coverage. Pity about Motors TV too.
    Aside from that, i usually love watching the whole of bathurst and flicking it over and watching the japanese GP, can’t this year though.
    BTW, who’s your tip to win? HRT or Vodafone for me, FPR always have bad luck at bathurst and HRT seem to have their cars heading in the right direction.

Profile photo of duncanmonza
    duncanmonza
    Participant

Why don’t SPEED just show the Australian telecast in the US? The commentators would actually know what they’re talking about, it would be just like Australia’s NASCAR coverage.

BTW, who’s your tip to win? HRT or Vodafone for me, FPR always have bad luck at bathurst and HRT seem to have their cars heading in the right direction.

It’s hard to go past Lowndes or Tander, but I think Dumbrell will be better than Luff, if he gets ahead then Lowndes will have to double stack in the pits all day, which will ruin his race. Frosty has more than earned a victory at The Mountain, he’s a chance, as is Davison. If it rains then maybe Courtney, Kelly or Van Gisbergen have a chance, but otherwise it will be one of the other five. Remember, the last time someone other than Walkinshaw or Triple 8 won Bathurst was 2000; 12 years ago.

Prisoner Monkeys
    Participant

Craig Lowndes has just unveiled his Peter Brock tribute livery, and it’s a doozy:

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/563908_10151093080273020_2052456931_n.jpg

It might not look like much, but to the uninitiated, this is a very historic design – Peter Brock won four races at Bathurst with this design (and one 1983 with something very, very similar).

Although, and I have to say it, I, personally, would have preferred something based on the 1972 design, which he used when he won his first Bathurst 1000:

http://www.velocemoto.net/artwork/Tribute72l.jpg

Still, Lowndes’ car will probably look like an absolute beast flying along McPhillamy Park alongside some of the other historic liveries (for the record, Dave Reynolds’ is my favourite).

duncanmonza
    Participant

The Lowndes livery is incredible.
    Hopefully HRT make a tribute livery or two. The 2002 livery would look good on a VE and could mark 10 years since their 2002 Bathurst win. Or maybe a 1987 one for 25 years.
    It’s a shame Kelly Racing didn’t revive any old Perkins liveries and an SBR tribute to 1998 would have been nice.

Prisoner Monkeys
    Participant

I believe HRT are planning at least one tribute livery. As to which one it will be I have no idea.

The Fair Dinkum Sheds entry does have a “new retro” design, which is just white with green racing stripes, but it’s intended to represent the 1960s as a whole, rather than one particular car. I was kind of hoping that if they didn’t do a throwback to the Perkins-Castrol liveries of the 1990s, Russell Ingall would. And while he does have a new livery, it’s not a historic one.

SBR have tweaked Shane van Gisbergen’s design to include more orange, but it’s not a tribute livery.

And I wish Jim Beam had been ameanable to a livery change for their cars. It would have been great to see GREENS TUF and RED ROO alongside the TRU-BLU design.

duncanmonza
    Participant
    Prisoner Monkeys
    Participant
    Profile photo of Thomas Baer
    Thomas Baer

Congrats to Whincup & Dumbrell. Thats what a motor race should be like. Two drivers going for it, at the limit of their ability.
    Those last 20 laps was just exciting. And the 0.31 second winning margin compared to the 20 something seconds Mr Vettel won by. Any thoughts on the quality of the race? TV coverage?

duncanmonza
    Participant

It’s a shame Reynolds didn’t win, but what a great end to the race! Two years in a row we have had two of the greatest Bathurst finishes ever. Fast too, 6 hour 19 minutes, finished before the F1s started.

For those who missed it, here’s the last lap.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kXZ6n822SC8

Profile photo of the_sigman
    the_sigman
    Participant

What a fantastic race!

Profile photo of Dave
    Dave
    Participant

Great race! Really enjoyed the finish. Also round of applause to duncanmonza for his prediction:

I think Dumbrell will be better than Luff, if he gets ahead then Lowndes will have to double stack in the pits all day, which will ruin his race.

I went up to the mountain on Friday for practice and the crowd there was huge. Apparently they broke the attendance records for each day and therefore the whole event record.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.