Group Admins

• Profile picture of Keith Collantine

Australian V8 Supercars

Public Group active 1 month, 3 weeks ago

Group for fans of Australian V8 Supercars

The Creek is back

This topic contains 5 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by Avatar of Stephen Jones Stephen Jones 2 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Prisoner Monkeys
    Participant

V8 Supercars will return to Eastern Creek for the first time in three years this August:

http://www.speedcafe.com/2012/04/22/eastern-creek-added-to-2012-v8-supercars-calendar/

The original plan was for the series to travel to an international venue for the penultimate round (one week after Abu Dhabi), but a circuit could not be found in time. Instead, Winton will be moved back to the vacant November spot, and Eastern Creek will take Winton’s original August date (since winter in Victoria was never going to be fun).

australian
    Participant

Nice, Ive watched F1 races all over the world, yet only live an hr from eastern creek & have never been there…Is the drag strip the main straight?? have u been there Prisoner Monkey?? recommend it??

Prisoner Monkeys
    Participant

Yes, the main straight doubles as a drag strip.

No, I’ve never been to the Creek.

Toro Stevo
    Participant

Good to see, it’s the only permanent circuit left in Sydney unfortunately, and really needs V8 supercars to visit to keep the circuit alive and not become more housing. Always had a soft spot for the circuit, I used to live just up the road so I’ve been there a few times.

ed24f1
    Participant

@australian The main straight used to be the drag strip, but as of 5/10 years ago they’ve built a separate dragway, known as Sydney Dragway – formerly Western Sydney International Dragway, next door.

Eastern Creek’s a pretty good track to watch racing, I’ve seen V8s and even A1GP there over the years. It’s good to have it back on the calendar.

@Toro-Stevo The track is very unlikely to ever become housing due to the massive power lines that go through the track. Housing isn’t allowed there under current zoning restrictions.

Stephen Jones
    Participant

The first round of the National Formula Vee Championship was at the creek about 2 weeks ago..
    First time driving there, but wow is it awesome.. the middle sector is absolute class, plus the final corner complex is inspired, encourages pushing the limits of the track.

From a driving perspective, I’m surprised they haven’t been racing there lately! And from a spectator perspective, I didn’t get to watch from the outside, but there were massive viewing mounds surrounding the entire circuit (think sepang).

From memory the ARDC/Eastern Creek were getting more money from renting out the track than from hosting a V8 Supercar race, so it seems as though politics and money was more of an issue than the track/location

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.