Group Admins

• Profile picture of Keith Collantine

Australian V8 Supercars

Public Group active 3 weeks, 2 days ago

Group for fans of Australian V8 Supercars

Triple 8 to lose Vodafone backing from 2013

This topic contains 19 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by Avatar of Ryan Williams Ryan Williams 1 year, 7 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    Prisoner Monkeys
    Participant
    duncanmonza
    Participant

Interesting that they have pulled money from all their sporting sponsorships.
    I don’t think this will affect T8, they’ll easily find another major sponsor. I wouldn’t be surprised if they ran split liveries from next year though.

Prisoner Monkeys
    Participant

Interesting that they have pulled money from all their sporting sponsorships.

They’ve been having a lot of problems of late. They consistent top lists of companies that consumers are unhappy with, and they had to pay up millions of dollars in a court case not too long ago.

I wouldn’t be surprised if they ran split liveries from next year though.

Monster Energy seems to be the fan favourite for at least one of the cars. They already sponsor Triple Eight’s Development Series entry.

duncanmonza
    Participant

Norton has also been a pretty major sponsor of T8. If Charlie Schwerkolt picks up Mostert when he goes to FPR, which is widely speculated, then Moffat will be without a drive and therefore Norton will not have a car on the grid. Lowndes has Norton all over his helmet.
    My money’s on Monster/Norton split liveries.

Prisoner Monkeys
    Participant

@duncanmonza – I think Norton would be a good fit for Triple Eight. Their anti-virus software can be harder to remove from your computer than most viruses, and since Triple Eight is not the most popular of teams, I think they should get Norton on-board and fully embrace the idea of only accepting money from evil companies. So that means they should get on the phone to Norton, BP, Halliburton and, naturally, Weyland-Yutani.

Prisoner Monkeys
    Participant

Triple Eight have announced their new naming-rights sponsor – and it’s Red Bull, who are finally entering the category after years of ruours suggesting they would.

Silverkeg
    Participant

@prisoner-monkeys I wonder how this will affect Jaime’s personal sponsorship from Monster. Surely Red Bull won’t be happy with him keeping it.

Big news for the category and Triple 8 nevertheless, not surprised they waited for a big team like Triple 8, They want success, If Kelly Racing had more success I believe they would have considered them but they’ve waited for guaranteed success and gone for the strongest team in the championship.

Prisoner Monkeys
    Participant

@silverkeg – Red Bull will likely have bought Monster out of their contract with Whincup as part of the deal.

Jarred Walmsley
    Participant

How long before we see a cross over with RBR like they did with McLaren before hand?, 2013 Australian Grand prix?

Prisoner Monkeys
    Participant

In related news, Triple Eight have released photos of their 2013 Car of the Future from a private test on the Goald Coast (the Ipswich group test having been quietly cancelled a while ago). Jamie Whincup has called the car “vastly different” to the current generation of V8 Supercars, and the team has revealed that they are building nine chassis – five for themselves, two for Tekno Autosports, one for Lucas Dumbrell Racing, and the ninth is yet to be finalised.

Nobody else is expected to has a COTF chassis ready until September.

Journeyer
    Participant

So if Triple Eight is now called Vodafone Racing, will they be called Red Bull Racing starting next year?

This will also be great news for Red Bull Australia – they now have 2 F1 drivers (Webber and Ricciardo) plus the current V8 Supercar champions on the books. Gives them lots of crossover opportunities, too. Should be very interesting to see what they do in Melbourne next year.

Prisoner Monkeys
    Participant

So if Triple Eight is now called Vodafone Racing, will they be called Red Bull Racing starting next year?

A team name hasn’t been decided. But they probably won’t call themselves “Red Bull Racing”, so as to avoid confusion with the Formula 1 team. If their current name – which is Team Vodafone – is anything to go by, they’ll likely by known as “Team Red Bull”. But I suppose they could also be known as “Red Bull Race Engineering”, since the team’s full name is Triple Eight Race Engineering.

I’m sure they’ll think of something.

Dan8
    Participant

How much longer do you think Vodafone will sponsor McLaren in F1? Or will they continue to sponsor McLaren as it brings them the worldwide coverage they need?

Prisoner Monkeys
    Participant

@dan8 – The money used to sponsor McLaren comes from Vodafone. The decision to withdraw funding from V8 Supercars (and the cricket) was made by Vodafone Australia. Vodafone Australia is a subsidiary of Vodafone, and so the decisions they make are independent of the parent company. That they terminated their sponsorship of Triple Eight does not suggest Vodafone will terminate their sponsorship of McLaren. If Vodafone does decide to back out of their McLaren contract, it won’t be because Vodafone Australia stopped sponsoring T8.

Journeyer
    Participant

@prisoner-monkeys And this has also restarted the Casey Stoner-to-V8 rumors, thanks to Stoner’s Red Bull ties. http://www.sportspromagazine.com/news/stoners_sponsor_red_bull_joins_v8_supercars_team/

@dan8 There were rumors they were thinking of pulling out of F1 too (remember the Coca-Cola to McLaren rumors a few months ago?) But it looks like they’ll stay – for now, at least.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.