• Profile picture of Keith Collantine

Group Mods

• Profile picture of Oli Peacock
  • Profile picture of Bradley Downton

British Touring Car Championship

Public Group active 1 month, 3 weeks ago

The group for BTCC fans.

2013 BTCC drivers and teams

This topic contains 101 replies, has 17 voices, and was last updated by Avatar of robk23 robk23 11 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 102 total)
  • Author
    robk23
    Participant

Now it’s time to get together all those crazy ideas (and a few sensible ones) together over the winter as we build up the start of the 2013 season. Some of these rumours might be worth something, did anyone expect the MG deal to come together this time last year?

Firstly, Tony Hughes has retired from the BTCC but will remain involved at Speedworks. Paul O’Neill said at Knockhill that Tony was looking to sponsor him for 2013 and Tony himself has suggested Paul will be in the car. There is also a suggestion that Speedworks will ditch the Avensis for new machinery (there may be a pair of MGs up for grabs soon, there may also be Vauxhalls and Hondas available).

There is also a rumour that Dynamics will switch to the WTCC and become the ‘other’ Honda team?

Tony Gilham will run 2 Insignias and possibly the Civic as a budget rookie option. Thorney will build more cars and they have a title sponsor.

The Motorbase S2000 Fords are for sale, as is the AmD Golf as both teams intend to run NGTC cars.

WSR/Ebay Motors intend to run full NGTC cars and they have the facilities to build their own.

Ratboy
    Keymaster

No doubt Frank Wrathall will run the Avensis again.
    888 will run the MG funded by Neate/Other pay driver and Plato

I hope Dynamics don’t leave for WTCC. and judging by Steve Neal on ITV I think they’ll stay
    Dave Newsham will leave ES racing I reckon. a good team could give him a car that could lead to a title fight

Thorney have said they’ll build themselves 2 cars and another 2 for customers, they did say that in January and, well, didn’t happen this year

Chris Stockton will be returning with the NGTC Cruze abandoned by RML in the off season

ajokay
    Participant

Whatever happens, the MG better not make my eyes bleed next year.

robk23
    Participant

The STCC and TTA are merging this year, which means a number of S2000 cars (including an ex-Matt Neal Dynamics Honda) are potentially available and with the BTCC S2000 Award these may be attractive to drivers on a low budget. Some of the drivers may also migrate to other championships, WTCC or BTCC may look attractive to them?

Ratboy
    Keymaster

From what I understand though S2000 are only available if they raced the season before?
    Or was that just for the ending of the BTC cars? if so then only Vectras, BMWs, Golf and Focus’ will be available.

robk23
    Participant

I haven’t heard anything about that for S2000 cars, that did apply for BTC cars in 2011 (had to be either the Integra or the Astra). BTC cars were still allowed in 2012 but they would’ve had so much ballast added they weren’t worth the bother.

Bendanarama
    Participant

Only Difference for S2000 cars next year is that they won’t get Parity, but they’re going to have a second trophy for them anyway.

Keith Collantine
    Keymaster
    robk23
    Participant

So Adam Morgan will be run by Cicely Racing in the 2011 Frank Wrathall car. I didn’t think Dynojet changed the car for 2012 apart from the front lights and bumper, then I remember the display car from Silverstone 2011 which is what I think Wrathall ended up with in 2012. Did Dynojet run the Swindon or Toyota engine in 2011?

This now leaves the second Speedworks car available (the first car is very likely to be for Paul O’Neill).

robk23
    Participant

A works seat has just become available as Andy Neate has announced he is leaving MG. I have a feeling Mr Plato will get a say in who the second driver will be, preferably someone he can dominate who comes with plenty of cash.

As for where Andy Neate will go, he says he will be on the grid in 2013 and he has plenty of money so he could get another NGTC seat somewhere. Speedworks, Rob Austin Racing and Welch Motorsport all have seats available, the latter two are going to need a financially stable driver in at least one car.

robk23
    Participant

Dave Newsham and Lea Wood will test for Speedworks at Donington Park tomorrow.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/104638

Ratboy
    Keymaster

Chris Stockton mention to Neate that RML have other shells for sale and a 2-car BTC team could happen.

Stockton has a good chance of decent points next year if he can get his Cruze working well!

Rumours Speedworks could run 2 cars with Newsham/Wood partnering O’Neill to which O’Neill tweeted his finance is far from sorted for a full time drive so that is all the in air still

robk23
    Participant

Four time hot rod world champion Carl Boardley is testing for Speedworks on Friday at Snetterton, apparently it’s a serious test as he looks to switch to circuit racing next year.

robk23
    Participant

Team HARD will build and run a pair of Volkswagen CC NGTC cars in the BTCC next year, starting with one and then eventually expanding to two. This will be alongside the Vauxhall Insignias and the S2000 Honda Civic. Tony Gilham is also discussing the project with Volkswagen UK, it probably won’t mean a works team but more likely technical assistance or some sponsorship.

http://www.touringcartimes.com/article.php?id=8460

Ratboy
    Keymaster

It seems Tony Gilham is having his own personal silly season!
    for a guy who missed parts of 2011 due to funding he seems to of found a lot of it! 5 cars possibly going to 7! a load of VWs in the VW cup and a Clio next year as well.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 102 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.