Group Admins

• Profile picture of Keith Collantine

Group Mods

• Profile picture of Oli Peacock
  • Profile picture of Bradley Downton

British Touring Car Championship

Public Group active 20 hours, 28 minutes ago

The group for BTCC fans.

BTCC Round 1: Brands Hatch (Race 3 Update: Shedden Disqualified from 4th)

This topic contains 30 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by Avatar of richevans123 richevans123 2 years ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 31 total)
  • Author
    Bradley Downton
    Participant

Rob Collard ended the first BTCC session of the year fastest for ebay Motors, from Rob Austin for Rob Austin Racing and Collard’s teammate Tom Onslow-Cole.

Andrew Jordan was 4th in his new civic with Jackson fifth for the newly named Redstone Racing team. Dave Newsham was an impressive 6th for ES Racing while Aron Smith was the quickest rookie for Redstone Racing in 7th. Frank Wrathall had a low-key return with 8th for the Dynojet team with the third ebay Motors car of Nick Foster 9th. Another rookie, Adam Morgan, for Speedworks Motorsport, rounded out the top 10.

Reiging Champion Matt Neal could only manage 11th for Honda but teammate Gordon Shedden faired even worse. The car kept cutting out (the team would not inform us of the reason) and Shedden could only manage 21st out of the 22 runners.

It wasn’t any better for the new MG team, Andy Neate and Jason Plato were 19th and 20th respectively.

There were three red flags in the session, one caused by Shedden breaking down once. The session ended with a bang as John Thorne, in the Thorney Motorsport Vauxhall Insignia crashed heavily at paddock hill bend. The final red flag, which brought a premature end to the session was for AmD’s Ollie Jackson, who spun his VW Golf off at the same corner.

Bradley Downton
    Participant

Andrew Jordan ended second pratice quickest in his Pirtek Motorsport Honda Civic, just displacing reigning Champion Matt Neal of Honda, who had a much better seond session than he did first. Tom Onslow-Cole was again 3rd for ebay Motors BMW 320si.

Rob Austin was 4th in the Rob Austin Racing Audi A4 while Jason Plato was a surprise 5th in the Triple 8 MG6 with the Redsotne Racing cars of Mat Jackson and Aron Smith in 6th and 7th. Jeff Smith in the second Pirtek car was 8th while the other two ebay Motors BMW’s of Rob Collard and Nick Foster rounded off the top 10.

Frank Wrathall’s Dynojet Toyota Avensis finished 11th.

The second MG of Andy Neate was once again, only 19th, while Honda’s Gordon Shedden also has problems, completed only two slow laps and finishing comfortably last of the 22 runners.

After his accident in the first session, John Thorne’s Vauxhall Insignia did not come out for second pratice while Tony Hughes made his first appearance of the year in one of the Speedworks Toyota Avensis cars after he had engine problems in practice one.

Bradley Downton
    Participant

Scot Dave Newsham has taken a shock pole position for ES Racing.com ahead of the first round of the British Touring Car Championship at the Brands Hatch Indy Circuit. Newsham set a time of 48.483s early on and with 3 minutes still to go he went into the pits and stepped out of the car, feeling his work was done.

The man who got closest to him was reigning Champion Matt Neal for Honda. Rob Collard will line up 3rd in the ebay Motors BMW 320si and looks set for a good race as he should have a great start in the rear wheel drive BMW.

Andrew Jordan will start 4th for Pirtek Racing but was left fuming as his last lap was ruined by Newsham’s teammate Chris James, who held him up round the first half of the lap. Collard’s teammate Tom Onslow-Cole will line up in 5th while Jason Plato managed to put the new MG6 in 6th place for MG KX Momentum Racing. Rob Austin will line up 7th in his Audi A4 for Rob Austin Racing with Frank Wrathall in 8th for Dynojet in the Toyota Avensis. Matt Neal’s teammate Gordon Shedden stole 9th late on while the third ebay Motors car of Nick Foster rounds out the top 10.

Andy Neate could only manage 19th in the second MG while John Thorne failed to complete a single lap in the Vauxhall Insignia after his heavy accident in first practice. It is unlikely Thorne will make any of the races tomorrow due to a lack of parts.

robk23
    Participant

It’s such a Dave Newsham drives for ES Racing after his team owner made THAT move on Andy Jordan.

keithcollantine
    Keymaster

Fantastic to see Newsham on pole – can’t wait to get there for the race tomorrow!

Also impressed at Plato’s sixth in MG’s first appearance.

ShaneB457

Amazing first race..British touring cars at its best and great win for Collard :)
    I think it was a racing incident between plato and newsham although it was a very oppernunistic move by plato..

infernojim
    Participant

1st race was carnage! Shame about Plato punting off Newsham…

Bradley Downton
    Participant

I think Plato really was pushing his luck with that move. Good race from Collard, and a shame for Wrathall :(

infernojim
    Participant

Yeah, have to agree, there was not space there for that move. Too bold for sure…

Jordan

Good win by Neal in race 2, a tough fight throughout.

Anyone see Plato’s post-race interview? Can’t let go of that whole Newsham thing, can he? He’s a good driver, but the sheer arrogance of the man just irks me, stops me from ever rooting for him.

infernojim
    Participant

I prefer him to Neal though…. Neal’s even worse for that!

Bradley Downton
    Participant

Must say, can’t stand Plato, must say I missed that interview, but it doesn’t surprise me, he’s not happy unless he’s the center of attention/moaning about something.
    Also, unlucky for Nick Foster to end up on his roof.

EDIT: Woah! 7 Car pile-up in the Clio’s just now, including Nic Hamilton.

Jordan

Are you sure? I know Neal’s no angel, of course, but at least based on what I’ve seen these past couple of years, he isn’t quite as vocal about it all.

To be perfectly honest, it’s always disappointed me whenever anyone uses contact to get past (by contact, I mean more than the lovekisses they all give each other on track).

ShaneB457

What do we think of Toby Moody? I think they are missing Ben Edwards..Moody has a really squeaky voice and he sounds like kermit the frog when something exciting happens

Jordan

I know, it’s like he was incredibly surprised by anything that happened at all! To be fair, though, a lot was going on in a very short space of time. Harvey remains his good old, knowledgeable self.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 31 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.