Group Admins

• Profile picture of Keith Collantine

Group Mods

• Profile picture of Oli Peacock
  • Profile picture of Bradley Downton

British Touring Car Championship

Public Group active 1 month, 3 weeks ago

The group for BTCC fans.

BTCC Round 2: Donington Park (Shedden handed win after Plato penalised and Jackson Disqualified)

This topic contains 22 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Ratboy Ratboy 2 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Bradley Downton
    Bradley Downton
    Participant

Dave Newsham in the ES Racing.com Vauxhall Vectra returned to the top of the times at the end of second practice for the second round of the 2012 BTCC at Donington Park. This was after Mat Jackson put his Redstone Racing Ford Focus fastest in the first practice earlier this morning. Matt Neal put his Honda Yuasa Racing Team’s Honda Civic second ahead of Jason Plato’s Triple 8 MG6.

Qualifying will start at 3:20 and you can watch it live here: http://www.itv.com/btcc/live/

Profile photo of Ratboy
    Ratboy
    Keymaster

Good on Dave! he’s got at least till the mid season break I reckon to score decent points then the NGTC cars will improve more during the break, much like Wrathall did last year.
    but I do hope Newsham can score a decent mount of points this weekend!

Bradley Downton
    Participant

Jason Plato has put his Triple 8 MG6 on pole position with maximum ballast for the first race at Donington Park. He set a time early on that was 9 tenths clear of anyone else but Gordon Shedden driving a Honda Civic for the Honda Yuasa Racing Team did manage to close the gap to 0.054 before rain started to fall. That curtailed the session after just 10 minutes as no-one really improved from there. Shedden’s teammate Matt Neal will line up third. Plato’s teammate Andy Neate will start last after problems with his car forced him into the pits after just 1 outlap.

Bradley Downton
    Participant

So, Unfortunately I have not been on the Laptop to update this as much today, sorry everyone :/, but anyway.
    Jackson claimed a memorable first win in the opening race from Shedden and Neal as Plato dropped to 4th from Pole.
    Shedden led a Honda 1-2 in race 2 from Mat Jackson after Plato wiped himself out on lap 1. Plato and Collard exited the final corner side by side and Plato swiped across in what looked like a vain attempt to put Collard off the road but instead took himself out.
    Unfortunately Rob Austin won’t race again this weekend after 2 engine failures and Frank Wrathall also had problems in race 2, although the camera’s didn’t catch anything. Real Shame. In race 2 Dave Newsham finished 4th from Andrew Jordan and his teammate Jeff Smith, who will start on pole for the reverse grid race 3.

Profile photo of Oli Peacock
    Oli Peacock
    Participant

@bradley1314

Not at all anti-Plato are you… ;)

Bradley Downton
    Participant

@olliekart – Of course not, to be honest, he’s been ok so far this year. But still, watch the replays, he pulled across in what looked like an attempt to wipe out Collard (knowing Plato) but it back-fired and he put himself in the wall :L

Profile photo of Keith Collantine
    Keith Collantine
    Keymaster

Still some daft driving that’s not getting penalties: Jackson hitting Plato in race one, Newsham hitting Jordan in race two. A bit of rubbing is all well and good but they’ve got to stop drivers using each others as brakes.

Profile photo of Oli Peacock
    Oli Peacock
    Participant

Wow Plato, that was low even for your standards, and that coming from Plato fan :/

Keith Collantine
    Keymaster

Yeah that was just not on from Plato.

The driving standards are getting out of hand. It’s not just Plato, I think back to him being taken out in that race at Knockhill last year.

The stewards need to have a think about this because we don’t want the BTCC turning into NASCAR where drivers deliberately crash into each other for revenge.

Bradley Downton
    Participant

That was out of order, but I agree with Keith, drivers are starting to shovel one another off here, there and everywhere, it’s out of control.

Profile photo of mildertduck
    mildertduck
    Participant

I definitely think that Plato should be disqualified from the last race, and maybe even given a grid penalty for the next – we want to see racing, not barging!

Profile photo of robk23
    robk23
    Participant

That was not on from Plato, but then he does think he’s above and beyond everyone else anyway. Gordon Shedden was clearly not happy after the race, I hope he gets that 2nd place back which he fought honestly for. When I think of Jason Plato I think of a word that begins with C and ends with T and it’s not ‘Cat’.

Bradley Downton
    Participant

@robk23 – cabriolet? (two-wheeled carriage) :b

Profile photo of f1alex
    f1alex
    Participant

@robk23 Carrot?

But seriously, I agree with everyone else here, that move was pretty disgraceful. In the words of Matt Neal “He drives like a pig”.

Keith Collantine
    Keymaster

Plato has been demoted to third:

http://www.touringcartimes.com/article.php?id=7454

Correct decision, but I still think they need to toughen up on driving standards to stop this sort of thing happening in the first place.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.