Group Mods

• Profile picture of Oli Peacock
  • Profile picture of Bradley Downton

British Touring Car Championship

Public Group active 1 month, 3 weeks ago

The group for BTCC fans.

BTCC Round 6: Snetterton 300

Tagged: , ,

This topic contains 15 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by Avatar of 91jb12 91jb12 2 years ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    robk23
    Participant

I thought I would start this topic and beat @bradley13 to it as there have been a number of interesting developments for this weekend! American driver Robb Holland will drive Team HARD’s Honda Civic with the No. 35, while Tony Gilham will drive a Thorney Motorsport Vauxhall Insignia in preperation for Team HARD’s NGTC programme next year. Liam Griffin is sitting out the remaining races for ‘work and family reasons’ although it’s more likely due to him having written off the third Focus chassis at Croft.

But the big news this morning is that Motorbase have surprised the paddock and indeed everyone by rolling out a full NGTC-spec Ford Focus Mk3 for Mat Jackson to run this weekend if he chooses. It resembles the forthcoming Focus ST rather than the standard model run last year by Team AON.

Bradley Downton
    Participant

@robk23 – I would have done it first, but I had work! You sneaky little sod :P haha..

Anyway:
    WRATHALL ON POLE AMID QUALIFYING SESSION SHOCKS

Frank Wrathall took his first ever pole position in the BTCC today, by just 0.015 of a second from Jason Plato, to become one of 4 drivers in the top 8 to score their best ever qualifying performances. Adam Morgan and Dan Welch had their best performances in 5th and 6th respectively while Lea Wood equalled his best ever result in 8th. Plato’s Championship rivals, the two Honda drivers Matt Neal and Gordon Shedden, endured poor sessions however in 7th and last respectively. Shedden never actually made a lap however after his car caught fire in the first session, and wasn’t repaired in time.

robk23
    Participant

It was spectacular footage of Flash’s car going up in flames, even more amazing that it took him 9 seconds to evacuate through the passenger door! It’ll be interesting to see what he do tomorrow starting from the back of the grid.

Hopefully Wrathall won’t get punted off the road by Plato should he lead at the start of the race.

Bradley Downton
    Participant

PLATO CLAIMS EASY WIN IN FIRST RACE
    —————————————————————————–

Jason Plato claimed an easy victory in the opening race of the Snetterton weekend after getting a better start than pole-sitter Frank Wrathall. Wrathall got a somewhat sluggish start and was also passed by third placed Dave Newsham. Adam Morgan spun from 5th on the opening lap and 2 laps later had a coming together with BTCC newcomer Robb Holland, pitching the latter onto the tyre barrier at turn 1. This brought out the Safety Car for 4 laps as the car was removed and the barrier mended and on the restart Newsham tried to go around the outside of Plato at turn 1. He was forced wide and this gave Wrathall a chance to move back into second. The race stalled then until the final lap when Newsham and Jordan squabbled over 3rd. Jordan hit Newsham pushing him wide and took the place, before the latter powered back past on the straight. Jordan then pushed Newsham off again, taking third and holding it to the flag. Newsham commented after the race: ‘I didn’t think he’d find a way past clean. And he didn’t. Twice he hit me square in the back and pushed me straight on. I don’t think that’s overtaking, that’s no skill involved in there, just using me as a brake and pushing me past the corner. Hopefully the officials will look at that and reverse it. I don’t want him to get kicked out, or points on his license, I just want that place back because I think I deserve that.’

EDIT: Newsham has been Disqualified for having an underweight car.

Bradley Downton
    Participant

JORDAN WINS RACE 2 AS PLATO AND NEAL COLLIDE

Andrew Jordan won the second race of the day after a hectic end that saw title rivals Jason Plato and Matt Neal collide. Plato left a Peel P50 sized gap and Neal tried to get a Honda Civic through, which was never going to work, and the former ended up sideways. Neal turned him back to facing forwards however, but took the lead with it. Plato being Plato wasn’t going to take this and into the final chicane used Neal as a brake (this is proved as he went off wide as well), allowing both Jordan and Neal’s teammate Gordon Shedden through. Jordna held on to win from Shedden while Plato fought off Neal to third. Wrathall held on to finish fifth after a last lap altercation with Neal and Mat Jackson also mugged Tom Onslow-Cole for sixth on the final lap.
    WTCC & Ex-BTCC driver Rob Huff pulled number 9 out of the fishbowl handing pole to Lea Wood.

robk23
    Participant

There’s been some great racing today and we have another new winner in Dave Newsham. The NGTC Focus has had a fairly good debut, would’ve got a podium in the final race had Mat Jackson not had an off.

A bit of a shame about the Neal/Plato incident in the second race but Andy Jordan and Gordon Shedden took full advantage of it, did the stewards reach a conclusion regarding that incident?

Bradley Downton
    Participant

Not yet I don’t think, I will keep check though.

robk23
    Participant

It would seem like Plato had to brake and Neal didn’t as he could clearly carry more speed through the corners. I don’t understand the second bit though, not that it did either of them any favours.

robk23
    Participant

Gordon Shedden has been excluded from the R3 result for being over the boost limit, Plato moves up to third in the classification. It means Matt Neal retains the championship lead with Shedden second and Plato third.

Keith Collantine
    Keymaster

Here’s the Plato/Neal incident – bit silly from both of them to be honest, though Plato’s retaliation was quite blatant:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DTXL-gsh1Jc&t=6m10s

ajokay
    Participant

On a side note, the BTCC group’s avatar really needs updating!

Keith Collantine
    Keymaster

@ajokay Done!

ajokay
    Participant

OMGHONDABIAS!!! @keithcollantine

Prisoner Monkeys
    Participant

Here’s the Plato/Neal incident – bit silly from both of them to be honest, though Plato’s retaliation was quite blatant

Between that, the last NASCAR lap at the Glen and Vettel’s off-track excusrion at Germany, I have to ask … does anyone realise they are supposed to stay on the circuit these days?

robk23
    Participant

Matt tried to go for a gap that was never going to be there, great save by Plato but then he clearly bumps Matt on purpose. I’m surprised they only got away with a reprimand for their antics.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.