Group Admins

• Profile picture of Keith Collantine

Group Mods

• Profile picture of Oli Peacock
  • Profile picture of Bradley Downton

British Touring Car Championship

Public Group active 1 month, 3 weeks ago

The group for BTCC fans.

BTCC Round 7: Knockhill (Round-Up: Collard wins 2 with Newsham victorious in final race)

Tagged: , ,

This topic contains 11 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by Avatar of robk23 robk23 1 year, 11 months ago.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Bradley Downton
    Participant

Jason Plato clinched pole position for tomorrow’s first race at Knockhill in a rather wet Qualifying session. I for one hope it’s wet/dry tomorrow, we could do with some spicing up :/
    Anyway, Collard is second, Aron Smith third, T.O-C 4th, Wrathall 5th (this boy is a future Championship contender), Shedden, O’Neill and Neal round out the top 8.
    I’m surprised @robk23 didn’t do this? :P

Lin1876
    Participant

Been going along to this for about six years and no intention of stopping yet. Unfortunately, the forecast for Dunfermline tomorrow is pretty good, with cool-ish temperatures and cloud cover but no rain. Makes my usual spot on the inside of turn 1 far more feasible (read: I won’t be waist deep in mud and won’t need a digger to free my camera tripod).

Should be epic, and I hope for the TV viewers’ sake the Minis will be televised again. I saw them in April and last year, and they produced a fantastic race.

Finally, Frank Wrathall is about a season or two away from mounting a real challenge. You read it here first. He’s still inconsistent, but there is talent in spades with him.

robk23
    Participant

@bradley13 I was occupied for most of the day with the Sims 3! I did stop to watch qualifying before the ITV stream stopped working (problems in London apparently).

Great stuff by Aron Smith to lineup third although whether he can hold that position I don’t know, he scored points at Knockhill in what was his debut race last year so it’s promising. Plato will have to watch out for those BMWs though which will more than likely be very quick off the line. It’s the final season for those eBay BMWs which have been running since 2007.

Keith Collantine
    Keymaster

@robk23 There were two thunderstorms here in London yesterday afternoon which may have given them satellite trouble. It certainly did for me!

It’s a bit worrying to see the field slip to sub-20 cars for this race. And a shame for the Knockhill fans who usually turn up in great numbers.

robk23
    Participant

ITV went to an ad break during the safety car period in race two, and they went back to Knockhill after the restart which was annoying!

Aron Smith didn’t stay third but he still put in a good job to finish 4th and 6th in the first two races, well done to him. Newsham on pole for race three, Snetterton repeat anyone?

Bradley Downton
    Participant

@robk23 – Nope, if you’re not in a BMW this weekend, you’re buggered.
    I think it’ll be Matt Neal to be honest, starting third, no ballast.

and Poor Frank Wrathall :’(

Also, what happened to Plato?! He was sooooooo slow

robk23
    Participant

The leading BMW for the third race is Nick Foster in 6th. I’m not convinced Newsham will win but he’s got a decent chance despite having 3 NGTC Civics behind him, even if they’re slightly in the wrong order.

robk23
    Participant

So Dave Newsham held on to the lead to claim his second victory, Snetterton repeat indeed. Jeff Smith also got his first BTCC podium so well done to him, he had more luck than Donington Park and held on to his good starting position.

The bad final race for Shedden and Plato essentially means that the top of the drivers’ championship stays the same as it was coming into this meeting, although Plato is now 36 points off the lead. It looks like Plato’s turbo stopped boosting at the end of Race 2 and the problem appeared again before the final race.

ShaneB457
    Participant

A bit harsh to fine Aron Smith I think in race one. It was just a racing incident I thought and Plato was defending like crazy. Knockhill is such a great circuit and its brilliant seeing the cars jump over the kerbs in that chicane. But what a poor weekend for Plato. He must be gutted with what has happend after securing pole yesterday.

Lin1876
    Participant

Thoroughly good day out! The place was absolutely heaving today, seriously the busiest I have ever seen it. The Mini race was probably the best with a hectic battle in the midfield which raged most of the race, and it was good to see them putting on a show in front of such a big crowd.

Three decent BTCC races, though Plato’s going to need something special at Rockingham if he’s to win the title. Was unfortunate in the first race, but I think Aaron Smith just locked up on the cement dust while Plato turned in. Racing incident in my view, and most of the people around me agreed.

Glad to hear everyone’s OK after that nasty shunt in the Ginetta race. Tom Ingram was apparently taken to Dundee for precautionary checks, but is fine

Bradley Downton
    Participant

@lin1876 – No. Plato was trying to push Smith off the road, but Aron had to turn into the corner. Because the front of his car was just touched the back of Plato’s however, as he turned, Plato went the other way.
    Totally a racing incident indeed.

The Ginetta crash was horrible. I’m also glad to hear they’re all Ok, though they all, unsurprisingly, seemed very shaken up.

robk23
    Participant

As Aron Smith said, he had to take the corner eventually, otherwise it would’ve been him out of the race. Well done to Aron though, Plato does those sorts of moves all the time so it’s great when someone does it to him.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.