• Profile picture of Keith Collantine

Group Mods

• Profile picture of Oli Peacock
  • Profile picture of Bradley Downton

British Touring Car Championship

Public Group active 1 day, 20 hours ago

The group for BTCC fans.

Jason Plato and Andy Neate to drive for new Triple 8 MG team

This topic contains 17 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by Avatar of Ratboy Ratboy 2 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    keithcollantine
    Keymaster

http://www.flickr.com/photos/34829627@N03/6759196289/

MG will return to the BTCC this year with a two-car team for Jason Plato and Andy Neate:

MG Motor UK today announced it will enter the 2012 BTCC Series with a ‘dream team’ of cars, drivers, constructors and sponsors.

Two MG6 GT cars will run in the all-new MG KX Momentum Racing team piloted by double BTCC champion Jason Plato and BTCC rising star Andy Neate.

The cars will be prepared by Triple Eight Race Engineering, one of the most successful constructors in touring car racing. And completing the ‘dream team’ are principal sponsors Tesco Fuels with their Momentum 99 brand and KX energy drink completing an all-British line-up.

MG KX Momentum Racing will debut at Brands Hatch on April 1 when the 2012 Dunlop MSA BTCC championship season gets under way.

The MG6 GT five-door fastback is the first all-new MG in 16 years. It is designed and engineered at MG Motor UK’s plant in Birmingham where final assembly also takes place.

Jason Plato is the most successful driver in BTCC racing history with 68 career wins, with more fastest laps, pole and podium positions than any other driver in the history of the Series. He is undoubtedly the face of British Touring Cars as well as being a well-known and respected TV presenter and newly appointed Director of the British Racing Drivers Club.

Plato said: “It’s really exciting to be involved in a brand-new all-British team and it’s just brilliant that the iconic name of MG will be back on the track.”

Guy Jones, MG Motor’s Sales & Marketing Director, said: “We are delighted that the new MG6 will be seen by millions of fans in Britain and beyond and this continues the famous sporting lineage of the brand.”

Triple Eight, headed by Ian Harrison, is based at Greatworth, just a few miles from the famous Silverstone race circuit. The company has more than 100 BTCC race wins to its credit.

Bendanarama
    Participant

Now that does make things interesting – and always good to see a new marque back on the grid, but I wonder what Chevy are doing with this season?

ajokay
    Participant

Oh my… that livery… my eyes! It’ll scare the opposition out of the way.

Didn’t see MG returning. I thought they were a Chinese company focused on Asian and devloping markets now, never realised that they were planning a UK comeback.

At least the car itself looks nice. Kind of like a Golf, but not a Golf, but a hatchback…

Dan Thorn
    Participant

That is a truly vile livery. Ugh!

Can’t help but think Plato’s cause over the last few years would have been helped by having a decent team mate who could take points off the other, and with Andy Neate…he again doesn’t have that.

Not that I’m complaining of course. I’m not a Plato fan! Good to see more manufacturer involvement, though.

keithcollantine
    Keymaster

The image shows Plato running number 99, presumably to complement his sponsor, I wonder if that’s official?

Bendanarama
    Participant

It also means, of course, that Plato now has that turbo car he was after. The Neal-plato duel is back on!

ajokay
    Participant

The Wikipedia page says that the #99 is taken by the AmD Golf. But, who knows?

Girts
    Participant

I think the livery is awesome! Unfortunately I won’t be able to watch BTCC on TV, maybe I should make a trip to one of the races…

Bendanarama
    Participant

I think the livery is awesome! Unfortunately I won’t be able to watch BTCC on TV, maybe I should make a trip to one of the races…

@Girts, ITV4 stream the races for free through their website,.

Girts
    Participant

@Bendana Thanks for the information, will definitely try that. Hopefully this service is available also for non-UK residents.

keithcollantine
    Keymaster

Perhaps I’ve missed something, but have RML/Chevrolet said anything about their 2012 plans?

ajokay
    Participant

I mentioned that in the BTCC calendar thread. I haven’t seen or heard anything. But with MG joining, then that makes 3 teams that can gun for the manufacturers’ championship… providing Chevy stay, of course. Maybe they’re done with BTCC? Not wanting to update to the NGTC rules?

robk23
    Participant

It’s been mentioned elsewhere that RML might be staying (they appear to have kept the Silverline sponsorship) with MacDowell being retained an a top driver taking the other seat, the door is open for Giovanardi, Thompson or Turkington. We’ll have to see if Chevrolet stay on board but they’re launching a lot of new models this year so the publicity in the UK might be worthwhile.

This does at least mean that Honda have a rival manufacturer so they won’t be tempted to pull out of the BTCC too soon.

Bendanarama
    Participant

It’s been mentioned elsewhere that RML might be staying (they appear to have kept the Silverline sponsorship) with MacDowell being retained an a top driver taking the other seat, the door is open for Giovanardi, Thompson or Turkington.

And if none of those names bite, I wouldn’t be surprised to see Paul O’neill making a move to the team. I don’t think he’s been confirmed elsewhere yet.

robk23
    Participant

Of course the MG deal also means 2011 Indy Champion James Nash is available…

EDIT: Paul O’Neill’s twitter post today would suggest he’s looking at GTs for 2012 as well as the BTCC.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.