• Profile picture of Keith Collantine

Group Mods

• Profile picture of Oli Peacock
  • Profile picture of Bradley Downton

British Touring Car Championship

Public Group active 2 weeks, 1 day ago

The group for BTCC fans.

Tom Onslow-Cole moves to Airwaves Motorbase

This topic contains 9 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of robk23 robk23 1 year, 1 month ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Keith Collantine
    Keith Collantine
    Keymaster

Tom Onslow-Cole’s season is over, Team Hard want to concentrate on ‘developing the Passat':

It’s a difficult decision that we’ve had to make, but we just feel that our investment in Tom would be better spent on making sure the car is moving forward ahead of a real championship assault in 2014.

http://www.btcc.net/html/generalnews_detail.php?id=3535

Profile photo of robk23
    robk23
    Participant

Very surprising, it’ll be interesting to see if he’s heading to another team or even another championship.

Profile photo of Bradley Downton
    Bradley Downton
    Participant

From everything being said, I think the idea is to improve the car for next season and get TOC back in it for a Championship Challenge.

Profile photo of robk23
    robk23
    Participant

The CC will be driven by VW Cup driver Andy Wilmot at Rockingham.

Profile photo of Ratboy
    Ratboy
    Keymaster

Purely down to budget then, TOC is the best at TEAM HARD. to develop the car,
    BMR restart can’t even fuel theirs up properly so they wont help them

Profile photo of Keith Collantine
    Keith Collantine
    Keymaster

@robk23 @bradley13 @ratboy He’s gone to Motorbase:

https://twitter.com/Airwaves_Racing/status/377688851390558208

Tom Onslow-Cole will join the Airwaves Racing squad for the three remaining rounds of the 2013 Dunlop MSA British Touring Car Championship; making his debut run in the third Airwaves Racing Ford Focus ST next generation touring car (NGTC) during round 8 at Rockingham Speedway this coming weekend (14/15 September).

Airwaves Racing Team Principal David Bartrum confirmed that Onslow-Cole would be taking the highly coveted third Airwaves seat following last week’s shock announcement that the 26 year-old wouldn’t be competing in the championship’s closing rounds. “We’ve been approached by quite a few people in regards to the third NGTC car, and I wanted to put it out for the right type of driver. To suddenly find Tom available was both quite a shock and at the same time a nice surprise as he’s the perfect fit with our team. I am over the moon that I’ve been able to put together what could be possibly be the strongest driver line up in the BTCC.”

Bartrum added; “It’s been a tough year for our team; the drivers and team have had to work quite hard and I think that the team can only benefit from adding Tom to our line up. I’m now really looking forward to Rockingham and getting some good results.”

Having notched up over 180 races since his BTCC debut back in 2007; seven time race winner Onslow-Cole has been a regular front runner in the championship and the New Malden based driver is relishing the chance of joining the Airwaves Racing squad for the final three rounds of the season; “Wow, it’s been an emotional week of ups and downs but this news is fantastic. I’m so happy to be back on the grid and I am ever thankful to David [Bartrum] and everyone at Airwaves that made this possible,” said Onslow-Cole.

“Motorbase are a great team and I’m really looking forward to getting my hands on the Ford Focus NGTC. Unfortunately there isn’t the chance to test before Rockingham but with the help of Mat, Aron and the team I’m sure I’ll get up to speed quickly.”

Airwaves Racing’s bolstered three car squad is back in action this coming weekend as the BTCC arrives at Northampton’s Rockingham Speedway for round 8 of the 2013 Dunlop MSA British Touring Car Championship.

Profile photo of robk23
    robk23
    Participant

It’s great to see that the third NGTC Focus is going to race again and great to see TOC back in a Ford.

Profile photo of Bradley Downton
    Bradley Downton
    Participant

Well, not entirely sure what to make of this. Motorbase have been pretty poor this season but then their drivers don’t exactly set the sport alight. Would be great to see TOC come in and beat them comprehensively but I fear this isn’t really much of a move up the grid.

Profile photo of Ratboy
    Ratboy
    Keymaster

Mat Jackson is a great driver but has the worse luck! could easily of won the 2011 title untill a bad 2/3rounds

Profile photo of robk23
    robk23
    Participant

Airwaves have been improving over the last couple of races, remember they’re now racing at the tracks that they ran the NGTC car at last year and therefore have data for. That car won a race last year which is a distant and often forgotten memory so there is potential in there, an experienced and talented driver like TOC will help them develop the car.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.